Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where do we sit?

Go down 
+43
Cilldara_2000
GaaHead
Ogie
lillyboy
losthope
Ohtoohtobe
centreback
Loads of Pints
egocentric
flourman
Highball
steviegenius
Botch
Athyman
lastline
Come on the Boys in Blue
wingback
ohluckyme
stanley
SamMaguire
Taibi
BelieveToAchieve
KFSAM
northernlily
Stekhli
kildaregaa365
kildare08
Sam1928
peile
ripvanwinkle
overthebar
murof
tomcruise
butterfingers
johnsmyth
SeamusMurphy
topcat
lilly+sam
KILL BILL
rboy
kickingking
kelf
the big cal
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

Where do we sit? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:49 am

the big cal posted
(It's time for McGeezer to repay the investment at this stage.)
WTF............repay what exactly.......??????????
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 am

the big cal, ive seen some stupid things on this but that is one of the most idiotic statements ive seen. what does he owe anyone, he brought us from mediocrity to the heights of challenging in august over the past 5 years. yes we havent beaten a top top team which is frustrating but once the players step across that line its generally them who win and lose games. managers make mistakes too but players win games, end of.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:40 am

The big cal is obviously not a kildare gaa supporter. I believe as a forum for kildare gaa supporters he does not meet the criteria. Admin? After all its what sets this site apart from the others.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:10 pm

kickingking wrote:
We sit in the last 12 of the championship. No more, no less. There's a tendency to read far too much into games these days and the whole thing is totally over analysed. Kerry were close to being dumped out by Westmeath last weekend, the consensus afterwards was that Kerry were finished. Fast forward six days and suddenly Kerry are back and are All Ireland favourites. Wexford could have beaten Dublin and then crashed out to Tipperary. Meath drew with Carlow and then beat Kildare.

Sure we were poor yesterday but we're still standing and that's what matters. One game at a time and who knows where we could end up. I don't think there is an All Ireland in this current team but it will take a huge effort to beat them as last night showed.

We now sit in the last 8. No more, no less. Wink
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Probably a wrong turn of phrase....what I really mean to say its time that we are brought to the next level....in 5 years we have won nothing (yet). We have not gone to the next level. We are on the second strata of teams and have to step up.....no disrespect to Offaly, Cavan, Limerick or Sligo, these are teams that should be beaten any day.

When we meet Cork, Tyrone, Down and Donegal over the last few years we were found out.

I live in hope.

Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

the big cal - are you in some way related to an arrogant condesending little twit from Derry?
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:02 pm

No way related to Mr Brolly, please see the thread I started called, "Joseph Brolly, Q.C."

Perhaps I am a pessimist by nature or a realist, what's the real difference??
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 pm

the big cal wrote:
Probably a wrong turn of phrase....what I really mean to say its time that we are brought to the next level....in 5 years we have won nothing (yet). We have not gone to the next level. We are on the second strata of teams and have to step up.....no disrespect to Offaly, Cavan, Limerick or Sligo, these are teams that should be beaten any day.

When we meet Cork, Tyrone, Down and Donegal over the last few years we were found out.

I live in hope.

Versus Down and Donegal we were more done out than found out. We beat Tyrone well in league final since. We'll sort out Cork on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 am

The power rankings have us 6th at the minute. Its about right.

http://experiencemore.ie/experience-speaks/2012/07/31/power-rankings-week-twelve
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:48 am

Saying we are sixth in the rankings is being kind to us.

That performance today was the worst, disjointed abject display from a kildare team in a very long time. We were not in that contest except for the last period of the first half. Cork had a good plan b, we had no plan a.

Lots of soul searching now.
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 6:36 am

McGeeney must go (whether he walks or is axed is irrelevant) he has taken this group as far as he can (and maybe as far as anyone can)..he has highlighted himself this year as being sub-par on the sideline (and also in dealing with off-field matters)...Jason Ryan may be a good replacement!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:05 am

I don't see the Jason Ryan argument at all. Wexford went out of to Limerick and Tipperary in the last two years. I do agree Geezer has taken this bunch as far as he can and should either go or give him 3 years to build a new team. Some strange decisions today though-
- playing a rookie Eoin Doyle against an attack of Cork's calibre
- selection of Rob Kelly ahead of Flynn. If Flynn could play 50 mins he was surely fit to start
- taking off Foley ( unless injured?)
- taking off Tomas who was playing well
- putting on Dowling rather than Fogarty against such a physical side
- not addressing the weaknesses through the centre of defence, not helped by Chalkie being left off the subs
But these are quibbles and in general I would be a big fan of what McGeeney has done with this team. He just didn't have players of enough class to go any further.
On balance I would expect him to walk.
Back to top Go down
Stekhli
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 am

Are you saying that Eoin Doyle should have been dropped for this match Crofter ? If so thats one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum because Doyle was one of Kildare's best players in the qualifers by all accounts and it would have been a very poor decision in hindsight for McGeeney to drop Doyle for MacLaochlian or whoever .
Taking off Foley was bizarre and bringing on Dowling ahead of Fogarty who got very little game time in the championship which was unfair considering how well he did in the league final .
Think McGeeney should be allowed another crack at the whip , if he isn't allowed another go then who do Kildare go for ???? Jason Ryan ? Cribben ? Murphy ? like there wouldn't be too many options and little or no better options , McGeeney had a poor year this year on the line but I think he should be allowed another chance , I really hope the knee jerk reactions are kept at the minimum
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:35 am

Crofter, the Jason Ryan argument cannot be based solely on the results that Wexford have had..if you are basing it on that alone, you are saying that Kildare have exactly the same resources as Wexford available to them...McGeeney will not build a 'new' team because he is blindly loyal to certain players and a failing system!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am

Stekhli, yes I would have left E Doyle on the bench. I'd have had a half back line of Morgan- Foley- Bolton with Flynn and O'Neill (given Lynch's apparent lack of fitness) in midfield. Doyle has shown some promise in patches in the qualifiers but I thought he looked out of his depth today. Hopefully he's one for the future but I don't think it's "ridiculous" to hold back an inexperienced lad from playing probably the best team in the country.

Kildare08 re the Jason Ryan love- in, Wexford have been dreadfully inconsistent for the last 5 years, getting relegated to Div 3 after reaching the Leinster final. I don't think the resources between the two counties are that incomparable either. He didn't instill any killer instinct in them and they left behind a great chance to beat Dublin this year. I don't see him as a step up from Geezer at all.
Back to top Go down
northernlily
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:37 am

kildare08 wrote:
Crofter, the Jason Ryan argument cannot be based solely on the results that Wexford have had..if you are basing it on that alone, you are saying that Kildare have exactly the same resources as Wexford available to them...McGeeney will not build a 'new' team because he is blindly loyal to certain players and a failing system!

Here, here I 100% agree with this statement. There should be more U21s and minors coming through but these grades have been butchered over the last couple of years, especially the U21 panel where we all know there was some serious talent. We haven't won a 21s championship game in years. Geezer has done a great job and set a really professional standard but personally I think he should go now and somebody else should come in with a fresh approach. The players will get bored or sick of being nearly men and we become uncompetitive again which is the last thing we want.

Glen Ryan would be my choice, a man who knows Kildare club football inside out and bring a fresh approach to things and carry on the professionalism of the setup.
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:47 am

Crofter, not sure how u can call the Jason Ryan mention a 'love-in' considering i said that he 'may be a good replacement'...and i never said that he would be a step up from Geezer, but there are not a long list of top class, proven managers (including Geezer) out there at the moment!
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 am

not sure about Glenn Ryan either...kildare dont have a great record with their own managing them...and while he may know kildare football inside out, i'd fear he might bring maybe Rainbow back in as a selector and i think that would be a disaster!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 am

kildare08 wrote:
Crofter, not sure how u can call the Jason Ryan mention a 'love-in' considering i said that he 'may be a good replacement'...and i never said that he would be a step up from Geezer, but there are not a long list of top class, proven managers (including Geezer) out there at the moment!

Fair enough Kildare08. I was reacting not just to your suggestion but to some other calls for Jason Ryan on this and other sites.
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 am

no bother..his name has been thrown about but only cos he's probably the most decent manager recently vacating his position..as i said, there is a serious lack of proven managers available at the moment..i include the Banty in that 'unproven' category too..i've heard his name mentioned too !
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
KFSAM

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 am

kildare08 wrote:
no bother..his name has been thrown about but only cos he's probably the most decent manager recently vacating his position..as i said, there is a serious lack of proven managers available at the moment..i include the Banty in that 'unproven' category too..i've heard his name mentioned too !

Banty's name has been mentioned by a few clowns from meath on hoganstand. Hardly a credible candidate.

McGeeney has brought us from a very low level to a point where we were very competitive. He's shown huge loyalty to this group of players but I'm sure after this year he realizes the changes that have to be made. I'd like to see him get a few more years to build them back.
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 am

not sure why you would be sure that 'after' this year he realises these changes need to be made when he couldnt see 'during' the year that they were neccessary when they obviously were..look, i think/agree that Geezer has brought a high level of professionalism to the approach that the players take to their football but that alone is not enough, and it seems that after each year they fall short, his answer is to train harder,longer, more often, earlier in the morning.....ridiculous!!! if he had left last year he would be remembered as a man who brought the county a long way in four years...after this year, he has tarnished that reputation...all that's proven now is that if you train hard and commit to it, that you can become bigger,stronger and faster, but if you dont play to the strengths of your players, this counts for little!
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 am

Agree with you 100% KFSAM,
Back to top Go down
kildare08
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 am

KF SAM, while McGeeney has done some good work, i do think that he has 'lost' the dressing room this year..i think the SJ thing was very badly handled and that it sent out a very negative msg to the fringe players...and it was a sure desperation sign from a manager who knew he had to win some silverware this year in order to keep his (false) reputation intact! it was a pure personal glory hunt on his behalf and had a very poor effect on team morale!!
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

Kildare 08, the only impressive part of your piece of drivel is the timing. after a really bad day your last sentence just pisses me off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do we sit?   Where do we sit? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where do we sit?
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: