Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Moores took on some poor shot options in the second half alright but that is what can happen when u are behind and have kicked a few wides, everyone becomes a bit too anxious to score and as a result takes any shots they possibly shouldn't. I didn't think the ref was particularly bad yesterday. Moores got 10 scoreable frees (all warranted), he also didn't fall for Rogers antics at half time which I have seen many refs fall for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Clutching at straws blaming the ref lads.
Thought that good quality ball went in but for whatever reason it wouldnt stick inside particularly for Ciaran Kelly. That was the winning and loosing of the game for the Moores.

Lillis on the sideline would sicken anyone who had kids at the game, his behaviour was disgraceful. Craig Rogers should be ashamed of himself as well. No wonder McNulty wouldnt give him game time if that is his mindset.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star
Sam1928

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 am

Dont think anybody is blaming the ref. You are right about the ball into the full forward line particulary in the first half which should have produced a few more scores. The portlaoise full backs were ontop in the second half.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:09 am

I though Portloise's backs were excellent in the second half, particularly Cahir Healy who was my Man of the match, I also though the Portlaoise number 7 Fitzgerald was very good, did a much better job on Adam Tyrell than any defender in Kildare has been able to this year.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:11 am

I remember when St Brigid's of Dublin played Portlaoise a couple of years ago, Brigid's won after extra time in the proverbial "tense encounter". The former Meath great Gerry McEntee - also one of the top surgeons in the country - was co-managing Brigid's. Apparently at one point McEntee was tripped or punched along the sideline. He was asked about it afterwards by a reporter and he was like, "Er, I didn't see anything!"

As for the football, Moorefield a good team and would love to have seen them win Leinster, but putting my critical hat on, I don't think they're really at the level of the top teams, ie St Vincents and Portlaoise. I was a bit underwhelmed by their forward play when I saw them this year.

In my humble opinion, the only Kildare team who can realistically challenge for Leinster over the next few years are Athy. They have the strength in depth and the attacking flair. Granted they were brutal in the last couple of years, but if they can recapture their 2011 form they'll be formidable.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:50 am

Moorefield are a good but not a great team. Their physical power means that they are difficult to beat in Kildare but that doesn't count for much against the more skilfull teams outside the county.
Sad to say but the level of senior football is not very high in Kildare at the moment and its difficult to see who can change that. Athy might be a revitalised team under a new manager but their lack of midfield options mirrors that of the county team. By contrast the Dublin scene is very strong and its almost certain that they will at least reach a Leinster final regardless of who comes out each year.
It would be nice to see a new team like Confey win next year and not always have the 2 Newbridge teams contesting finals. That wont be a pouular statement but I think it might be good for the whole set up imo.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 am

The 2 Newbridge clubs will be there or thereabouts for a while yet. Sash have reached both senior and 21s finals this year and won the minor league so I don't think they are ready to depart the scene just yet!! While Moores won it this year and aren't going to disappear they may need to bring through a few new players in next 3-4 years but the vast majority of this team is still in their 20s
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 3:08 am

To be fair to the club scene in Kildare and i take the point that the likes of Portlaoise are very strong however lets not forget they are working out of a population of nearly similar to what Moorefield and Sarsfields joined together would be working from. Of course they are going to be very strong as long as they keep managing it correctly.

God only knows why Naas can't get it right they are working from as much as Portlaoise population wise i'd say!! Thats for another days work...
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 am

micky murphy wrote:
To be fair to the club scene in Kildare and i take the point that the likes of Portlaoise are very strong however lets not forget they are working out of a population of nearly similar to what Moorefield and Sarsfields joined together would be working from. Of course they are going to be very strong as long as they keep managing it correctly.

God only knows why Naas can't get it right they are working from as much as Portlaoise population wise i'd say!! Thats for another days work...
I don't think it boils down to pure population either. As you say Portlaoise would have the same population as Naas or Celbridge who both only have 1 team each in their town. Portlaoise in Leinster also benefit from the fact they are almost guaranteed to win their county championship, much like Crossmaglen, so they have way more experience playing at this level and at this time of year.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 am

Portlaoise do benefit from there being only one team in a big town and its rumoured they blocked the setting up of a second team on the Dublin side of the town some years ago.
But they have always produced talented teams with skifull forwards and generally do play an attractive style of football. The reality however is that the present team is nowhere near as good as some of the past ones and we still cant beat them. On both occassions that Moorefield have lost to them it was their ability to create and take goal chances that decided the games. Goals are particularly critical in football at this time of the year.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 am

umpireonditch wrote:
Clutching at straws blaming the ref lads.
Who's blaming the ref? And out of interest, were you even at the match?
Moorefield lost yesterday because players like Glavin, Murnaghan, Tyrrell, & to an extent - Roli didn't play well. 1 of those guys not performing would be a prob for them, all of them is a disaster.

Moorefield & Sarsfields are the teams to beat. Thy have to prove they are anything other than a 1 hit wonder. Lots of hype and jazz. Nothing to show for it. Bags of potential but no end product and no discipline.

I think the senior championship in Kildare is weak enough. There's 3 or 4 teams who could & should be in the intermediate championship. Manage to win 1 game a year & stay up.

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am

a

Last edited by Gaa1928 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 11:07 am

I presume you're laughing at your own inability to use the quote function.
Back to top Go down
Bigfullforward
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 8:29 pm

murof wrote:
Portlaoise do benefit from there being only one team in a big town and its rumoured they blocked the setting up of a second team on the Dublin side of the town some years ago.
Not really AFAIK, that project had County Board backing and everything but just fell by the wayside. To be fair to Portlaoise, they even helped out that new club (name escapes me) to the extent of use of pitches and coaches.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star
Sam1928

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 pm

As usual theres a bit of over analysing the extent of the result from Sunday. This thing about Kildare teams and Moorefield not being good enough to match the Portlaoises and Vincents of this world is rubbish.

Moorefield were well on top at half time and I was super confident at that stage we would win the game especially when Portlaoise resorted to the diving and wind up tactics at the end of the half.

It was a shitty goal arising from a terrible mistake that flipped the game on its head completely. We just didnt react well and couldnt claw our way back in it. Our performance levels dropped accross the board. No shame and that happens.

Moorefield have some exciting fast young players coming on stream and will always be in the shakeup over the next few years. Sarsfields will be right up there too. Portlaoise had the bit of cuteness and experience not to mention home advantage on sunday and got over the line by 2 scores.

I think any team coming out of Kildare is more than capable of doing well in Leinster.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I personally believe Kildare is 2nd only to Dublin in terms of competitiveness within in Leinster. Problem is Vins have reached Leinster final without their 2 Dublin players and they only finished 6th in the league up there. That would suggest to me anyway that the gulf between Dubs and the rest of Leinster bar maybe Portlaoise is quite vast and will take quite a bit of work to bridge, the good thing is there is huge work going on in all clubs. Anybody that has attended many of the underage club games in the county over the last few years can vouch for this.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
Intercounty
Intercounty
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Hard to disagree with sam1928's post.

Sarsfields, Towers and Clane were not disgraced against the Dublin champions in the final. Athy might well have beat eventual winners Garrycastle if they took their goal chances in 2011.

Moorefield were desperately unlucky to lose back in 2000 against O'Hanarahans who went on to beat the Dubs in the final.

Moorefield were too damn honest on sunday, some of Portlaoises cynical play from mentors and players was making my blood boil, for the last 20 minutes of the first half they steamrolled Portlaosie and maybe should've been a few more points in front at the break. In the second half once they gifted them a goal it was hard to build up the same momentum when you're been dragged to the ground constantly.

Moorefield should be proud of their performance, yes it was gut wrenching to lose but they certainly didn't disgrace themselves.

Very little in the papers about Portlaoises cynical stuff, Joe Brolly would be literally smoking from the ears if he was at Sundays game.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 11:54 pm

I am sorry kildarecat but I don't think Portlaoise were any more cynical than what you would expect of any team at this stage of the competition, yes they gave away a lot of scoreable frees but there is only one of them I would say was a definite deliberate foul, the one on Roli in the first half, a lot of the other fouls were really stupid putting hands on the back and things like that when lads were going away from goal. I believe Bruno McCormack used the word naieve to describe Portlaoise in the first half and I believe that is probably the correct description of what they were doing in the first half, stupid would be another good word to describe their tackling!!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star
Sam1928

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:05 am

Just to be clear from my own viewpoint...the tackling and fouling isnt an excuse. We should have tagged on a few more scores when we were dominant and we should have mixed it up a bit better after the gifting of the goal. Portlaoise deserved their win but they were there for the taking.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:33 am

I agree with Sam - no excuses, things just didn't go Moorefields way on the day.

Praise to Portlaoise for keeping Moorefields forwards quiet, who've been so free scoring up to now, especailly in their full back line.

There was one or two obvious rugby tackle style fouls (cynical) near the end of the first half which did have me thinking about the new black card rules and how they might change the game next year.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 am

1 Point from play is shocking at any level and far from good enough lets be honest.. I agree with BTA, The standard of Senior Club Football is not good enough at the moment ( I say Senior, as were able to compete at Inter and Junior).. Portlaoise were very lucky to get over Longford in the previous Round..
Moorefield and Sarsfields are the 2 stand out Club Teams in the County at the moment.. How many of their Players are deemed automatics on the County Team ??
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:52 am

I would say 1, Flynner between the 2 teams, whether that says more about the previous management than the merits of the players on the respective teams is for everyone to make up their own mind on.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:13 am

ah lads, come on. Moorefield complaining about cynical fouling? The only suprising thing about that is that they let Portlaoise get away with it.

I can 100% guarantee if Moorefield got their noses in front in that game at all they would have done the exact same thing as Portlaoise. I have seen it first hand on many occasions by them in Kildare league and championship
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:21 am

Yet another kneejerk reaction. I wasn't there, I'll get that out there first, but this was a Leinster semi-final and Portlaoise are one of the most consistent clubs in the country over the last decade. Don't agree that being the only club in the town is an advantage by the way - certainly hasn't helped Naas much. I tend to think it might be a disadvantage. As anyone in Laois will tell you anyway, Portlaoise is actually more like a rural club, with a generally small level of support. But they're the best and they get to provincial finals regularly, and were recently in an All-Ireland final. It's only two years ago Athy could (rather than should) have beaten Garrycastle and Garrycastle reached the All-Ireland final. On that evidence, Kildare would be one of the most competitive counties in the country and Westmeath one of the top two most competitive.

And the number of county players doesn't automatically guarantee you being a top club team. The evidence of that is all over the country and will probably be seen on St Patrick's Day 2014 once more.

As usual, I suggest looking at the overall picture. Kildare's record at senior level in Leinster is poor enough in terms of winning titles so I wouldn't say Moorefield's result in this game against one of the giants of the province would make it any worse in the county than it has been in previous years.

As for the cynical fouling; I'm glad most Moorefield supporters aren't going with that talk. You never hear winning teams talking about cynicism. Just that they won.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 am

FYI..Vincents 8/15 , Portlaoise 15/8.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013   Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next