Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barry Solan

Go down 
+9
Dido
tomoneillandhissisteranne
jj
Shergar
Stonecold
Ogie
Rex
lillyboy
kickingking
13 posters
AuthorMessage
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 5:53 am

Announced as S&C coach as part of the new Mayo management team.

Brian McGrogan, Alan Kenny, Steve Sheeran and Rob Kelly worked as a team under him last year. Will he be replaced or will we just continue with that team?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 am

that's a major set back for us, he's very highly regarded
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:13 am

If there was ever a time to approach Cian O' Neill surely it's now. Get him in for a year with a view to taking on the main job.

It would give the County supporters a huge lift to have one of our own who is so highly regarded in that position and he would I'm sure energise the players.

Make it so Mr. Ryan.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 6:02 pm

He won't do it. Cian O'Neill hasn't been a strength and conditioning trainer for a few years. He's progressed to coach and was actually a selector with Kerry. If he comes to Kildare, surely it will be as manager. And I'd say the timing might not be right for him to want the job just yet.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 7:26 pm

But he has always been a number 2, Glenn on the other hand has soldiered in the front line as the man and has the scars.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Agree with Ogie. He was purely Strength and Conditioning with the Tipperary hurlers, he had more involvement from a coaching perspective with Mayo and now he is coach and selector with Kerry. Has also managed UL in the Sigerson Cup in previous years. Next step is to be the main man and I think in 12 months time that's where he will be looking to go, wherever it may be.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 pm

He doesn't have to be S&C coach, we have three or four others that worked with Solan last year. No harm if we could get him back in the fold to keep an eye on player levels.
Take the number 2 job in respect to being top Dog next year. A year inside the camp to see what's what would be beneficial I would think if you were on the fast track to the managers job.

He has nothing to prove now in Kerry, there is a challenge coaching Kildare. Usually men like him enjoy a challenge so when they succeed it's all the sweeter.

Lads have been crying out for a home grown manager. Here is some one with a brilliant CV in coaching. We should be doing our damnedest to get him in the set up.

Being Kildare no one will bother even asking him.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Rex wrote:
He doesn't have to be S&C coach, we have three or four others that worked with Solan last year. No harm if we could get him back in the fold to keep an eye on player levels.
Take the number 2 job in respect to being top Dog next year. A year inside the camp to see what's what would be beneficial I would think if you were on the fast track to the managers job.

He has nothing to prove now in Kerry, there is a challenge coaching Kildare. Usually men like him enjoy a challenge so when they succeed it's all the sweeter.

Lads have been crying out for a home grown manager. Here is some one with a brilliant CV in coaching. We should be doing our damnedest to get him in the set up.

Being Kildare no one will bother even asking him.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to see O'Neill involved but surely the decision on Solan's replacement should lie solely with the current manager?? Also, can you really see Jason Ryan bringing him in knowing he was a real threat to his job in a years time ??
Yes McGeeney brought in Jason Ryan but let's not go back into that one ...
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Mayo situation may not be as clear cut as it seemed.....blue murder going on there at the moment about the new management team.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 pm

There was an interview with Cian in last week's leader. He is getting married later this year and I think the current Kerry management are committed for one more year. The timing just isn't right at the moment but he definitely gave the impression that he would jump at the chance to be involved with Kildare at some point in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 am

I would not have Cian yet anyway near the job until he has proved himself as a manager in his own right, I look at Jason in the view that he was number 2 to the last manager and i think it would be better to go into the Kildare job with your own stamp on it.....Just shows what Barry thought of Kildare going places....what
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 am

Stonecold wrote:
But he has always been a number 2, Glenn on the other hand has soldiered in the front line as the man and has the scars.

Thats the truth.. + 100.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Cian O'Neill is the guy you'd want, no question. And you can be sure he has been sounded out before. But it hasn't suited him yet - he is too busy involved in teams with All-Irelands etc. You can be certain he will be a Kildare manager at some stage, if he wants it.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Solan was with Kildare for a year so we got what he has to offer and impart.Im sure he didnt leave anything else in the tank so now we get a new guy with new ideas for another year. Works out ok. Change is good in backroom teams.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 5:54 am

Maybe just me but I didn't think we were any better in this department than in previous years and I wouldn't be a fan of Solon, turned our fitness similar to a soccer team which in my opinion doesn't work for GAA to me our players lost a lot of explosive power this year and definitely were a country mile away from the big teams in this department. Also don't like it when a guys brings in so many assistants dilutes the responsibility and don't get me started on him standing on the line supposed to be barking the tactics.

I'd rather see someone coming in that will place a big emphasis on tackling which sets the tone for most teams
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 am

fitness was not an issue this year folks. its year 1 and lets be patient
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Tackling with the associated intensity was for me and that is directly linked to strength and conditioning
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barry Solan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barry Solan   Barry Solan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barry Solan
Page 1 of 1