Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Positive stuff

Go down 
+18
Ohtoohtobe
Taibi
Cilldara_2000
lilywhites on tour
Radley Park
stanley
murof
SeamusMurphy
kickingking
shoutitout
flourman
Bad News Baba
jimmers
moatesports
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Jimmy winning matches
LillieLad
bob12
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Positive stuff - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 3:25 am

Great memories of that game in 93. 2-7 to 0-4 down at half time, we scored 1-6 without reply in the first 15 mins of the 2nd half. Amazingly Wicklow outscored us 3-1 over the rest of the match to move 2 clear before we hit 1-2 in the final few mins.
Could never understand the stick Lynch got from Kildare fans on a regular basis, he was a hugely talented player for 12 or more years for us. Certainly could do with him at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 6:03 pm

The languid mover always gets dog's abuse because he looks like he's not trying hard enough. Martin Lynch was one of the classiest footballers I saw play for Kildare anyway - my awareness of Kildare would only be from Micko's time, so that's 20 years of my lifetime alone I wouldn't have had a clue who played for them, not to mind the Mangans, Carews etc. But Lynch would have graced absolutely any time in the country. He had it all.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 7:52 pm

I remember Lynch's kick pass for Roli's goal in the replay against Offaly down in Kilkenny in 2002. It was a thing of beauty.

Lynch was a brilliant midfielder. He was unfortunate to be around in an era where Kildare had a number of quality midfielders but a shortage of forward options. I always felt he was at his most effective out around the middle. When he was positioned in at full forward he sometimes had a tendency to become frustrated with the lack of quick ball our inside line used to get back in those days. That being said he produced some great performances as an inside forward too. Darren Fay picked him out as his toughest ever opponent which is high praise.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 am

I've had the benefit of watching since 1978.  Lynch is one of my favourite players during all that time and was highly regarded nationally well before 1998 - his 1991 All Star Award coming before the time when they were almost ten a penny in Kildare. In fact he was our first All Star since Ollie Crinnigan in 1978. While he had a reputation (at least in my family!) as being a bit "windy" and a fancy dan there's no doubt he had huge skill and scoring ability. I would have thought a better forward than midfielder to disagree with the comment above. I'll always remember the pass for Murphy's goal against Meath but the Wicklow goals (he scored two that day) are what I think of most when I think of Lynch. He wasn't the most consistent of players but his role in the 1998 run should not be underestimated.  As said above he was marked out of it in the final unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 2:10 am

Crofter wrote:
I've had the benefit of watching since 1978.  Lynch is one of my favourite players during all that time and was highly regarded nationally well before 1998 - his 1991 All Star Award coming before the time when they were almost ten a penny in Kildare. In fact he was our first All Star since Ollie Crinnigan in 1978. While he had a reputation (at least in my family!) as being a bit "windy" and a fancy dan there's no doubt he had huge skill and scoring ability. I would have thought a better forward than midfielder to disagree with the comment above. I'll always remember the pass for Murphy's goal against Meath but the Wicklow goals (he scored two that day) are what I think of most when I think of Lynch. He wasn't the most consistent of players but his role in the 1998 run should not be underestimated.  As said above he was marked out of it in the final unfortunately.

+ 1 - A very, very good player. ( and I am not from Clane ).
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:51 am

For what its worth, one of my favorite days in recent times. There was some craic in the build up to that game and also after the excitement when we were getting ready for down.....

I'm pretty sure there are a few of ye who will recognize themselves in this!
Positive stuff - Page 2 <a href=Positive stuff - Page 2 Pictur10" />
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positive stuff   Positive stuff - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Positive stuff
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2