Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 am

Last round of qualifiers even. Makes the argument all the more bewildering. Niall Grimley would be up there with the best midfielders this year too.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 am

The argument is actually very straightforward. Was outstanding in team promoted to Division One, once more in Leinster campaign, and put in epic display against the outstanding team of modern times. Niall Grimley is playing in a Div 3 outfit and James McCarthy would eat him alive. Again - these are arguments made very cogently by Eamon Donoghue among others.

So much for support from your own! Another leaf we need to take out of Mayo's book - actually backing your own players.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 am

Sunday Game put Parsons in midfield which I totally disagree with. McCarthy and Fenton bossed midfield area today when it counted. McCarthy was literally hanging out of Feely in Leinster final because he couldn't live with him. And unlike Parsons, Feely doesn't have an awesome defence backing him up. And what did Parsons contribute on scoreboard versus Feely?

But Jesus, let's just give up altogether and hand every aspect of the GAA over to the elite teams. Seems to be the prevalent attitude around here.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
So much for support from your own! Another leaf we need to take out of Mayo's book - actually backing your own players.

There endeth the lesson.

See you all in January.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 am

Spoiler alert: Leinster semi-final defeat to Dubs followed by meek qualifier exit. League relegation for the trifecta.

I'm kidding of course - probably be Meath who beat us in Leinster.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Niall Grimley is playing in a Div 3 outfit and James McCarthy would eat him alive.

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
But Jesus, let's just give up altogether and hand every aspect of the GAA over to the elite teams. Seems to be the prevalent attitude around here.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am

It's not the All Stars but rather the pick of the best players who played in the AI final and has been that way for a long time. We beniffitted from that in 98 but a couple of those were lucky to get one.
A measure of a player's ability is how he performs against the best teams when things are going badly and Feely was superb against Dublin.
If Fenton was playing with any other team he wouldn't get a nomination never mind an All Star.
The reason Feely didn't dominate against Armagh was that their goalie did so well to keep his kick outs away from him and was praised by the Sunday Game panel for doing so. It didn't help that O'Neill dropped his midfielder partner either! But then a lot of posters were calling for that. Careful what you wish for.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 9:53 am

Murof you are dead right - the All Stars for me another example of how association is turning its back on counties outside the elite. You used to get outstanding players from smaller counties like Mickey Quinn (Leitrim) and Kevin O'Brien (Wicklow) getting selected. Jesus can you imagine suggesting that these days - you'd be sectioned.

Even with me advocating for Feely - the outstanding player in a team promoted to Div 1 and who reached a Leinster final - people looking at me like I have two heads.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

And I'm sorry, but for me Gary Brennan omission last year was another example of "to hell with everyone outside Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone".
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Also on the Sunday Game... Generally a big fan of Ciaran Whelan but his argument against splitting Dubs last night simply didn't wash. "Meath and Kildare beating Dublin North in a Leinster final is not the same". But of course it's fine for the Dubs to keep hockeying the Westmeaths and Longfords by 30 points and maintaining the record beating Leinster run... Get real Ciaran!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am

HG surely we're all allowed an opinion?

It's a forum. Feely was great this year - our best player by far. But just because some might put him 3rd, 4th or 5th in line for an All Star and not in top 2 midfielders isn't an act of treason.

You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone. But if it's just about getting behind the team let's all agree Doyler, Cribbo and the rest of the lads should get one too.

Feely is brilliant but Parsons for me was superb all summer doing the often unseen dirty work. Suspect he also scored more from play than Feely. And he was doing it in high pressure games. Had a fine first half yesterday and dominated Fenton. Granted Dubs took over to a large degree after the break but likewise they had good spells against Kildare in the middle.

Nomination will be fully deserved for Feely.

Ps League doesn't count for All Stars. Even if it did Kevin had one of his quietest outings in the showpiece final. Also can't just ignore the Armagh match and put his performance down entirely to an opposition goalie negating him. All Stars would overcome that challenge surely?

But I guess I'm not a true Kildare fan.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

On splitting Dublin the GAA will only do that when it's a last resort and too late in my opinion.

I think they're missing a real trick though: can you imagine the North v South rivalry if they did split them. El Classico would have nothing on it. Would be a massive bossy for the game both in dublin and the rest of the country.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion - mine is that Feely should be in the team ahead of Parsons. My view is that Feely was excellent all year and better against Dubs than Tom P. There are plenty out of people outside county with same opinion and again refer you to Eamon Donoghue piece - or is he deluded as well? Surely we all can't be wrong?!

Re splitting Dubs, it should happen - but as Tomas O'Se said last night, a logical argument is never a good enough reason for anything to happen in GAA. Don't hold your breath.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 pm

kg365, don't underestimate how easy it is for a midfielder to be bypassed in a game. Add in a new midfielder partner who has been very poor all year and it's not surprising that his influence was diminished. Would any Dublin or Mayo midfielder kick long range frees off both feet?
His team mates are lucky they don't get the same level of scrutiny as he does.
Anyway that's my last word on the matter, he's not going to get one sadly.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 pm

I never said you were "deluded" HG. I've been very respectful of your right to an opinion. I just have a different opinion about the relative merits than you or Eamon Donoghue based on overall impact of Parsons on the championship. Not a huge difference just a question of where someone should rank within the top say 4 or 5 midfielders. I read the article at the time thanks but happy to form my own opinion as someone who probably saw more of both players all year than Donoghue did given I saw all Kildare games and 80% of Mayo's given how often they're on TV.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:14 pm

murof wrote:
kg365, don't underestimate how easy it is for a midfielder to be bypassed in a game. Add in a new midfielder partner who has been very poor all year and it's not surprising that his influence was diminished. Would any Dublin or Mayo midfielder kick long range frees off both feet?
His team mates are lucky they don't get the same level of scrutiny as he does.
Anyway that's my last word on the matter,  he's not going to get one sadly.

Well if there's a two-footed placed ball kicker slot on the All Stars that's news to me although frankly Cillian O'Connor usually nicks one primarily for his frees.
Wouldn't it be equally valid to say a Tom Parsons or James McCarthy are ahead of Feely in terms of their mobility, pace and overall coverage of the pitch ( which enables them to thrive even if midfield by-passed).

Look this is starting to turn into one of those threads where I'll be painted as a Feely-hater when in reality I believe he is a brilliant all-round midfielder who came on in leaps and bounds, showed real leadership in most games, was hugely accurate from frees and with the possible exception of Eoin Doyle was far and away our best player this year. And I repeat : deserves a nomination having been in the top 4 or 5 midfielders. Maybe top 3.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I also saw more Kildare games than Donoghue and think he's totally right.

Bizarrely, I have got more support on this from outside Kildare than inside. Go figure.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Again Murof is right.

It's also going to be my final word on the matter because as Murof says, he's not going to get one.

I just find it sad that he can't actually get more backing in his own county.

Anyway, end of my contribution to that debate.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 pm

On the Dubs split debate - K365 is dead right that it would become a seriously hot ticket. There is every chance that two Dub teams would be in the All Ireland - that's how strong Dublin football is at the moment.

You saw how quickly Dublin-Tyrone sold-out, El Classico is actually a good comparison. I've no doubt two Dub teams going at it would be one of the top sporting events in Europe. Unfortunately, this is the GAA we're talking about so don't expect logic to prevail.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Here is the sad fact - you could take the Dublin bench yesterday, add in a few more (Basquel, Hudson, McHugh etc etc) and there's a good chance they'd hockey our first team. How the hell are we supposed to consistently compete with that?

As for the Laois, Westmeath and Louths of the world - forget it.

As things stand, we are heading to play them hoping - and it is hope, nothing more - that we get that one-time exceptional performance, that's it. The days when we felt confident about beating them, and that we could dominate them for a few years, forget it - they're over and they aren't coming back. Good job GAA.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm

HG.............I'm enjoying all your posts but for gods sake have you no work to do today?! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 1:02 pm

White Bridge trust me I'm always over-worked - but have to blow off steam somehow!
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Very Happy Fair enough!!

As an aside I'm just after spotting an article on Hoganstand where Rock, Flynn and O'Callaghan's better halves are all expected to feature for the ladies this Sunday! Talking about keeping it in house!!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Cluxton's sister Avril also won an All Ireland a number of years back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 18 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next