Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

The Super 8 's - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 am

Look there is subtle fouls and grappling and then there are defenders who practically have attackers in a headlock. If it goes too far it has to be called out. I do think O'Neill was right to speak out, just as he was about outrageous decision to send off Eoin Doyle v Donegal for not having gum shield.

If officials aren't doing their jobs - and too many aren't - you have to pile pressure on them.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 am

Do you know I'm never worried about being seen as a sore loser. Right is right!

Re general state of RTÉ coverage v Sky - look, it is embarrassing at this stage. Dessie Dolan on co-comm again today another example... I mean, come on!!

And people wonder why the Sky issue can't get legs...
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 10:04 am

The sending off was a killer for us. Apart from the obvious (losing our biggest scoring threat), the handicap of being a man down for 25 minutes in that heat was crucial. We couldn't fully push up on the Galway kick outs as they had the spare man all the time. Add to that Feely was clearly not 100pc due to recent injury and Tommy Moo was badly struggling for pace after about 45 mins. I don't say that as a slight on Tommy as he is as genuine as they come. The defence have tightened up big time with no goals conceded against Mayo, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Galway. All in all pride has been restored to the jersey. The future looks a lot brighter than it did in the aftermath of the Carlow nightmare !!!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 am

Not conceding goals has been another very encouraging development.

We are not far off being a top Div 1 side but we need to keep pushing as a county, starting with U20 All Ireland final.

We have to be ready for war with that one. I'll be leading the charge!
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Roscommon were Connacht champions last year and should have disposed of Mayo first day out.

They should have beaten Galway this year too and will be in Div.1 next season.

Yet they should be in a lower tier?

Should we change to a Super 6?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 pm

I'd say Tom Parsons stint as an RTE Pundit will be brief after Yesterday.

No goals conceded again, although probably lucky on that one.

We lost by a few points to two Teams in the top 4.. we're not far away.. we'll learn an awful lot from those super 8 matches and with a bit more strength in depth next Term we can improve again.
Roll on Winning an AI U20 PG.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Kerry 1/10. Kildare 6/1. Draw 14/1.. spread 7 points.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 pm

At what point do we say enough is enough with the acceptance of the "dark arts" as people call it. Sadly some see it as a badge of honour and something to aspire to. I get it that it is a fundamental part of the game and always has been but why is it?

Can the game not be played based on skill, speed, strength alone? Do we draw the line and say we want to see flashes of brilliance and skill, super point taking, solo runs etc instead of the off the ball pulling and dragging, the sly digs, the after the ball stuff.

Dan Flynn's card yesterday was pure frustration. Trying to play the game, made a run..gets pulled and dragged, lashes out and yet he is the one getting slated while the Galway player gets away with it and in some cases even on here is lauded for his employment of a dark skill.

This is not about Galway or Kildare specifically but the game in general. For the record Kildare have been involved in two of the best televised games this season. Even though some think we are not sly or dark enough we do go out and play football as it should and for the most part is good to watch.

The game has to evolve. Soccer is doing it now with the VAR and the pulling and dragging at corners and we saw the benefit of that at the World Cup. Rugby has been doing it for years and in many cases retrospectively after games.

The Galway full back punched Paul Cribben in the face before throw in yesterday. Happened 10 feet away from me. 2 Umpires like statues. Striking?... Its all a load of shite and sadly its accepted. If Comer got a box he would have been on the ground in a heap. Our man takes it and gives a bit back and yet Kildare are soft and not cute while Galway are cute hoors????....ah I dunno....at what point is it all about winning and less about the game?

Galway were the better team yesterday. They had 2 or 3 goal chances. We didn't. The kicked scores at crucial points in the game. I thought our lads put in a great shift once again. Can't fault them.

The new manager if rumours are to be believed has a big job now to build on this championship run and keep the attitude right and kick on next year. It won't be easy.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Well done Joe McQuillan - very minute I saw him I knew he would want to get his name on the Sunday game, if the GAA don't do something about pulling and dragging down of attacking players football will die a death......... now I know we were doing the same but not as cynical.

Great 45mins of football think we have got a workable style of play with eoin doyle sweeping but are probably a year away from being comfortable in the likes of the Super 8's based on mindset and physicality, with the talent coming up behind we are in a good place....

If CO'N gone the County Board have a massive job to replace with right person to bring us to the next level....
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Sam1928 - dead right Kildare players are soft for taking the hits and staying standing up and trying to play on........ Galway and Monaghan players last week (and yesterday) were diving when touched and even a few rolls on the ground for effect.... comical.....
Back to top Go down
Bángoléir
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm

I knew Galway played puke football but the dragging, whinging and diving for frees was pathetic. What's worse is that it worked. They got away with murder on Feely and Dan Flynn.

Peter Cooke was dragging players back to stop them competing on every long kickout, Ó Ceallaigh punched Cribbin in the mouth before the ball was thrown in, himself and Kyne took turns groping Feely when he was at FF and we put high balls in to him. It was weak refereeing to start with and became one-eyed as the game went on

Galway are a bit of a media darling team because they're from Galway and people still remember the silvery footage of Purcell and Stockwell but they're a blight on the game. If they were wearing Antrim or Wexford jerseys they'd be pariahs. Their intention is to prevent football being played rather than to win at football

On the Dan Flynn red; what action us a player allowed to take when he's being dragged back and prevented from taking part in the game?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 pm

There's no denying the officials yesterday simply weren't up to it - a sad reality at many football matches.

You have to use every tool at your disposal which is why CON dead right to lay into them after the game. I find it a refreshing change in a Kildare manager and he's been consistent in calling out poor officiating during his time in charge.

And next time we play Galway or a team like them, I'm dead serious when I say CON (or replacement) has to spell it out in media beforehand. Eamonn Fitzmaurice did it before league final v Dubs last year (some of the stuff J Cooper & P McMahon get up to is outrageous & conveniently overlooked by Joe Brolly & various Dub media cheerleaders). Alex Ferguson & Mourinho have always done it.

You have to pile pressure on the officials and make sure your players are getting sufficient protection. Make sure ref, umpire, linesman know their every move is being scrutinised by everyone. And keep on their case during match (Galway sideline not slow in getting D Flynn sent off).

This is all part of it.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

We all know there is certain stuff that goes in games that is above & beyond the usual grappling between players.

Sometimes it is blatant - defenders with attackers virtually in a headlock or wrestling chokehold on ground - and directly in front of the officials, who invariably take no action.

Some officials need it explained to them because they are simply not competent enough. That is the reality of it and all football followers know it.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

At one stage in the 2nd half the Galway CB continually blocked a Kildare player by pushing him forcefully in the chest. When the Kildare player eventually pushed him back yer man held his face and screamed at the linesman that he had been struck in the face. He then proceeded to have a go at the umpires. Disgraceful behaviour happened near where Flynn was sent off. No surprise that McQuillan didn't see that either. The sheer nastiness of inter county football in the last fee years is astonishing and sadly Kildare will have to adapt if we are to move on.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Jesus that Galway lot were hard to stomach yesterday. Whinging, moaning, hurling abuse at certain Kildare players, telling everyone that would listen how great they are. A more shower of entitled gobshites I never met. Where Mayo had a bit of class about them this lot were crass and obnoxious in equal measure.

As for the game, what more can be said. We gave our all and went to the end. Nothing more can be asked. As supporters that's all we want. Yes mistakes were made at crucial points but that's for another day.

The lads gave shown they can mix it with the top teams. I still think there is a slight confidence issue with some of them in that they are afraid to make a mistake and thus the easy option is chosen, but if they apply themselves they can push on and break into the top 4 or 5 teams no doubt.

Dan Flynn should hold his head high and be proud of his year. I've no doubt Galway targeted him yesterday and all they were missing was a saddle for his back because they spent most of the game riding him. But Dublin Joe never seen that yet couldn't wait to get involved when he had a chance. Things never change with the likes of him.

Overall the year wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar either. No wins until June meaning we got relegated and lost to Carlow. However we found our backbone that had been missing for years and fought through the qualifiers and beat Mayo along the way.

No idea who will he in charge next year but we really need to make the right appointment. This group if they stay together and with an injection of the u20's could be very good. But you need the right man pushing it a long. The right philosophy of how to play that suits the players we have. I really hope we don't make a balls of it in true Kildare style. Here's hoping.

I should add a big thanks to the effort the squad and management put in. I must be hard sometimes but we as supporters are extremely grateful for the efforts even though we moan a lot. I and many others are proud of what you've done to put pride back in the jersey.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Yep, the lads died with their boots on yesterday, can't fault any of them for effort, yes at times our skill execution wasn't great, Galway were the better team, they missed/Donnellan and Mick O Grady saved 4 goal chances, I don't think we had any (Johnny Byrnes shot was not a goal chance in my opinion)

To me the single biggest thing for next year is getting promoted from Div2, you can see with Monaghan, they have no fear/respect for these teams as they have been in Div 1 for a while now and are used to competing/beating the Kerrys of this world.

Div 1 is vital for the development of this team in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Rex would just like to second the thanks to squad & management. After the league campaign & Carlow match would have been easy to throw in the towel. Instead they dug in & showed the sort of courage and resolve many of us were starting to doubt they had.

They restored some pride in the jersey & they deserve serious kudos for that. Fair play to ye lads.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Also Topcat is dead right - if we're to take the great leap forward, we have to be in Div 1. It's non-negotiable.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 11:16 pm

Last edited by ixus on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Galway haven't conceded many goals so creating opportunities was probably not the first choice.

We nearly got a goal from a long ball in. Height of the bounce was unusual. That's where we were looking to create the goal opportunity. Drag defender with Flynn and get Feely in there. Support was slow for breaking ball.

Forcing Galway to focus on both their movements enabled the rest to score points from play.

Creativity or willingness to take on a shot in the last few minutes when a point down cost us and when. They scored again and we were drained.

It was that close with 14 men I searing heat for 25 minutes. If Hyland was available he might just have provided that extra spark to get over the line both days.

That's where we are at.

Oh. And fantastic fielding by Kelly on the square near the end against 3 Galway players. Shame something didn't come of it.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am

Disappointed to end the season like we did yesterday but think Galway just about shaded it. Unforuntately we needed Flynn on full throttle and a fully fit Feely to get over the line but c'est la vie.

Thankfully the Carlow debacle was well and truly put to bed over the past few weeks and it was heartening to see the shift put in.

Im not going to lay into the players as they gave their all and that's all they could do and all we can ask. The next level up is having a little bit of cuteness and composure at key times to get over the line. We aren't far away from the chasing pack.

Best of luck to the lads in Kerry, gonna be a big ask.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 am

Great post Rex. The players gave it their all and unfortunately it just wasn't quite enough. No shame in losing a tight game to a very good Galway team, particularly as we played the last half hour a man down. A huge thanks to all the players and management for their efforts this year and for a very enjoyable couple of months (Carlow aside). Well done lads.

On a separate note, interested to hear lads thoughts on our approach to the Kerry game. The structure of the Super 8's will surely come under fire if Kildare aren't arsed about the fixture and allow Kerry to rack up a big win and progress to a semi-final on score difference in the likely event of Galway beating Monaghan. Personally, I would like to see Kildare put out their strongest team, not just for the integrity of the competition, but it would also be an opportunity to put a second big team (Mayo being the first) out of the Championship in the one year. I think going forward that the confidence this team would get from such a result would be immeasurable. I know it'll be difficult for players to lift/motivate themselves for a game that will see them bow out regardless of the result but I'd love to see them replicating yesterday's performance. It's not too often we get an opportunity to beat Kerry in the Championship ('98 was the last time we did it) but I think if we turn up and play to our potential we are capable of doing it.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 am

Massive thank you to players and management they have given everything since that Carlow match and more, theres a lot of potential in this team and oldest starting player is Peter Kelly whos 29, 30?? I want O'Neill to stay if the players want to keep him on. Alot of people are saying Galway were better than us up until the sending off I think we were better we just kicked alot of wides and never took our chances. If we were up by 3 or 4 points at half time Galway couldn't have complained.

Last post Joe McQuillan is a prick always out to screw us, honestly cant ever remember him having a good game when reffing a match and always wants to be the center of attention. Great respect for Mayo feck all for Galway, it was a proper match against Mayo...
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 am

Can have no complaints about result - never felt we would win it. Although Galway another nasty side and as outlined, interesting why that's seen as a skill and positive trait. Quite a year, still don't regret driving boot in after Carlow, as felt it was justified, but serious character by both O'Neill and the players as well as tonnes of good football to turn it around. Didn't think a few months ago we'd be leaving the season behind after packed games at home and tonnes of pride. Kerry shouldn't be just a dead rubber though as this side needs to use every opportunity to get used to playing the best. Thus promotion and Super 8s are both musts in 2019. If O'Neill is gone - and I actually hope he isn't but if so he leaves having turned this around - who do we want in next. Go big with a Horan/O'Connor/McGuinness or go with natural progression and that under-20 manager?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 1:33 am

McGuinness would be a huge statement to make.

Him and Davy Burke alongside him?

Having written him off two months ago I can now see an argument to keep O’Neill on but I do think he lacks a little bit of defensive tactical nous that McGuinness would bring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 10 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: