Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

The Super 8 's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 pm

bloodsub wrote:
Anyone know if the Hill is open on Sunday? Or would 16 hours be enough time to disinfect the place after Saturday night?

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 pm

I see Dick Turpin in the Indo sees us finishing bottom of the group too with his beloved Monaghan finishing second..

Tickets for the Hill are €20.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm

hawker wrote:

I see elsewhere on the world wide web has predicted that we finish last in the group because the last time we were in this company we shipped 7 goals. Now I'm not saying this brainbox will be wrong but that was 2015. And we played in the Leinster Final in 2017. Some man for analysing games. jocolor

Dick by name and Dick by nature
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 pm

McGuinness's article on why we're the saviours of Gaelic football is currently the second most read article on the Irish Times - after a piece on Brexit. This summer is a new kind of mental.

Just to go back to something Sarsno said... Twenty minutes from the end of that Laois U20 game, we were nine points down and it looked like Kildare football was in wind-down mode for the next few years.

Then Brian McLoughlin comes on, plays the game of his life, and we complete the most spectacular comeback this side of Lazarus.

So - Brian McLoughlin singlehandedly changed the face of Irish sport in 2018.

Imagine when this lad turns 21.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

The Mayo and Fermanagh game is probably the best football I've seen a Kildare team ever play. I'd include 97/98 in that.

It had graft and hard work but also had some outstanding silky football. Mixed with intensity and purpose. I'm afraid to dream
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 pm

I never understand why lads get so wound up by other peoples opinions. Relax and enjoy the different opinions and come up with your own.

GAA journalism in this country is by and large poor. The reason is because it's a small market. There are good ones out there but they are not the recent ex stars who dominate many of our daily papers.

Dick Clerkin (along with most of the other ex players) has probably been at 2 Kildare games all year, maximum. He's probably watched a few highlights from other games. He's basing his opinions on historical evidence. What he says has absolutely no baring on any part of the game next weekend.

I'm getting a little tired of the childish "why always me" attitude of many GAA fans (across the country) who feel if a ref gives a bad decision against them, he's biased against one county or biased towards another. Same with commentators. Just because they disagree, it doesn't make them anti Kildare or anti anyone.

Mayo fans have made that attitude part of their identity and culture. The amount of booing of referee decisions at their games is a disgrace.

Lets not go down that road lads, at different stages, some will disagree, some will agree. We'll get some decisions, we wont get others. As supporters, all we can do is back the team, as best we can.

Navan felt like a throwback to bygone days when Kildare fans traveled in big numbers. All it took was one big win v Mayo to get the bandwagon back on track. Lets keep her rolling.

Cill Dara Abú
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Im assuming same again in terms of personnel this week end ? ...

If Niall K is injured, it weakens our forward options off the bench but with Slattery and Healy (in particular) in fine form, that lessens that blow.

Couple of things that struck me:

1. Neil Flynn and his importance - Boy is he racking up scores. Allowing Feely to move more freely and not have the mental anguish of free taking duties.

2. Johnny Byrne - Here is a fella who most ppl had written off with James Murray expected to come in and cement a place. Well fair play Johnny . He has battled back, regained his place and is keeping a club all star off the field (without too much complaints from the masses !!) . Its this attitude which is brilliant and helps keep the whole things ticking along. I do think there will be room for Murray in this side at some stage but at present he is a nice reserve to have in place and total Kudos to Johnny,

3. Moolick - Last year, we all pretty much advocated for a change in the middle for the Armagh game with Moolciks lack of pace cited as a reason for dropping him. I thought when I saw the teamsheet at the time , great, Feely and Cribben in the middle - Perfect , on we go. How wrong I was... This guy is immense, a workhorse who gives everything and allows those around him to flourish - I honestly don't think we would have seen the best of Conway , cribben in the past few weeks if we didn't have this guy back in the fold. A top fella, another whose attitude is first class.

Just some observations - Lets keep it up lads , well done one and all and leave nothing behind this Sunday - Imagine the atmosphere v Galway if we get over the line on this one.

Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 pm

If we win the Monaghan match it will nearly be better than the Mayo match, one more win and we'll be in a semi final.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Got to agree on Moolick. I was one of the "lack of pace" complainers. But he has been one of the most important lads in that team. Works like a trojan, keeps it simple and continuously keeps the ball moving to a better placed player. Takes a lot of punishment as well but gets up and goes again and pops up like the second goal in brilliant fashion.

Sometimes one player allows 5 others to elevate their performance. One of the first names on the team sheet.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Hard to read Monaghan win over Laois.. like our Match it was pretty much over at ht.
Sundays match is a hard one to call.. could be a cracker.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Fully agree on Moolick, always had a wonderful attitude even at minor. Reminds me a lot of McCreery who wasn't a speed merchant either.
Conway and Byrne have really grown in their roles and are unrecognizable from earlier on the year.
I remember watching a league match last year with McCormack and Flynn either side of Dan and thinking this could be best line I had ever seen in white. Looked hopelessly optimistic with Ben gone but great to see how the other 2 are doing.
I think we might have missed 5 frees and a 45 in the league match in Conleths and still only lost by a point. Granted McManus only came on as a late sub but we looked as good as them if very naive at times. Confident we can win this one.
Back to top Go down
Goff28
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am

I think Neil Flynn has been the most important player in terms of the Senior's turnaround in fortunes this year.

Against Carlow he was missing and we left 1-3 or 1-4 in terms of frees and penalties behind us in the first half. That was completely demoralising for the team, there was much more to that loss of course, but missing chances was a big part of it.

Since Flynn has been back he's not only created and finished scores with his clever play and accuracy, he's also steadied the ship in terms of free taking.

Fergal Conway too deserves a mention, he's up there with Aidan O'Shea for strength and ball carrying around the middle. Absolute beast.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 am

For the record, I advocated Moolick's selection every step of the way. Never saw one shred of evidence as to how his lack of pace was hurting the team.

The number one midfield partnership in the country for the past few years was Tom Parsons & Seamus O'Shea - neither of them speedsters, but read the game brilliantly and by Jesus would those boys put in a shift.

The arguments against Moolick never stacked up at all.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 1:03 am

Lads any idea if the Galway game will be on the saturday or sunday next week? Have the Coronas on Saturday but don't wanna miss the Kildare match..
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 am

LillieLad wrote:
Lads any idea if the Galway game will be on the saturday or sunday next week? Have the Coronas on Saturday but don't wanna miss the Kildare match..

Jaysus. Thankfully that is a choice I can safely say I will never have to make....EVER!!!!

I hate Mexican beer.
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 am

Such an exciting time to be a Kildare fan!

Already been said but this weekends game is vital. 50/50 game for sure, monaghan are cute hoors and they wont fear us. We need to show that aggression we have been showing at the start of games lately because rest assured they're going to try ruffle a few feathers. The three Mc's in their inside line is as strong as any left in the super 8's. We need to be tight as fuck on them. Wouldnt rule out a draw!
Back to top Go down
Kicking bird
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Quote MD
"Monaghan are cute hoors "

This is a 50/50 game. Monaghan have two of the best footballers in the country in Mcmanus and Darren Hughes and potentially McAnespie.

A lot of people may disagree with me, but some Kildare player may need to give these two guys an accidental dead leg !
At last as a team we have grown up, but lets go to another level and frighten the life out of all teams.
Mark my word, if Monaghan get half a chance to take out either Flynns or Feehily they will do it and we will be on this forum on Monday complaining about how cynical they were.
That was OLD KILDARE, THIS in NEW KILDARE.
NO ONE CARES, ITs WIN AT ALL COSTs

The ingredients are there, we are in such a good place, these times don't come around to often so lets be WINNERS

Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 am

100 pc agree with fearban for the first time in a long while we could not blame anybody but ourselves disaster in league ,carlow etc but turnaround from there is fantastic it was everybodys fault no one took responsibility until con grabbed things by the scruff of the neck aided by the players and county board its like a new lease of life for a county who a few weeks ago were in despair support is back on board and its like living the dream we want no special treatment just fair playing field let the best horse jump the ditch
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 2:07 am

Fixtures for round 2 and 3 have been confirmed, link below

http://www.gaa.ie/news/fixture-details-for-phases-2-and-3-of-the-all-ireland-sfc-quarter-finals-announc/

Killarney on a Saturday evening! Galway in Newbridge on the Sunday
Back to top Go down
Cranky
Junior A
Junior A
Cranky

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:37 pm

No doubt the lads remember the pain of the 2014 defeat to Monaghan and a few of the incidents that happened in that game and will be determined to get even. Does anybody remember Kieran Hughes bouncing the ball of Niall Kelly's head like a schoolyard bully? I'm still fuming over that to this day lol.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Didn't someone pull Niall Kelly's hair as well? Emmet Bolton scored a brilliant goal in that match, Was a wet aul night...Hope to god we can get a bit of revenge for that defeat on Sunday...
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 4:47 am

Glad to see my tactical advice for previous games has been followed, so if anyone from Kildare backroom team is reading this forum, here's my take on this game!

Like the Fermanagh match, how we attack is going to dictate a lot. We got it absolutely spot on last weekend - moved the ball at paced, switched the attack over and back, and probed for openings. We'll have to do that again this Sunday to try and open up Monaghan's blanket defence.

Going to have to be very switched on for Monaghan's kickouts - Beggan is one of the top keepers in the country and if there's any slack marking he will punish it. Get tight on the kickouts and pressure them as much as possible.

Defensively, we need to block that central channel and force Monaghan to play on the periphery - if we do that, I really think we could be on a winner. Dublin might have the pace and power to get through, and Kerry have the flair, but I don't think Monaghan really have the guile to work through a defence around the edges. Big onus on Feely, Moolick, Conway and K Cribbin to get back and plug those gaps.

Obviously McCarthy & McCarron need serious watching upfront, but the big one is McManus. Huge responsibility on whoever takes him (O'Grady or Kelly), and Doyle also needs to be sharp about getting over and pressuring him. If we stop him, not only do we obliterate their main scoring threat, it's also psychologically crippling for them.

A couple of other things - Kildare have at long last shed their image as nice guys over the past couple of games, so let's keep it going. Monaghan won't be shy about going in hard in the tackle, so let's pay them back in kind and get in their faces from the off. Make them suffer.

And finally, a huge difference between us now and when we played Monaghan early in the league is the composure we're showing. Everyone needs to keep their heads and their discipline (again, no red cards) and if it's a close game in the finish - which it could it well be - let's do what we did against Mayo: intelligent use of possession and getting the ball to the right man in space to take the shot.

Let's do it - it is MASSIVE if we win this.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 6:23 am

LillieLad wrote:
Didn't someone pull Niall Kelly's hair as well?

Yep, one of the Hughes', and hoped the ball of his head too. Horrible shower ..
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 am

Remember a league match in Clones when 5 Monaghan players could have been red carded. JD was kicked while lying on the ground and Roli was taken out with a dangerous high tackle by the goalkeeper.
Can only hope we have a better referee at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 2 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: