Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Player Watch 2019

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Player Watch 2019   Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 pm

I know this is brewing on the championhsip thread re Hyland, but no harm starting a dedicated one...

Who is standing out during the SFC, IFC and JFC. I am sure there are lads with U20s who want to lay down another marker with their clubs and then you see Hyland hit 1-3.

Just no harm keeping an eye on things as we can only get to so many games...
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:35 am

Not much point really until they decide on a manager/backroom team. How do we know who, if anyone, is watching the championship games. Roli is still playing, and rightly so I might add.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 am

Is O'Neill gone?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Heard whether true or not he was given a further two years.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:24 am

Few heads coming back from the US. Shea Ryan among them. Is he county standard?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am

Yes Ryan is an excellent player. Hopefully Jack Robinson is back in white next year as well.

Not exaggerating - Kildare next year have easily the best squad of my lifetime. Obviously haven't achieved anything like the 97-2000 team but in terms of quality and strength in depth, it's better than ever.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Yes Ryan is an excellent player. Hopefully Jack Robinson is back in white next year as well.

Not exaggerating - Kildare next year have easily the best squad of my lifetime. Obviously haven't achieved anything like the 97-2000 team but in terms of quality and strength in depth, it's better than ever.

I don't see how you could say the current squad is better than 97-2000 in terms of quality.  Glen Ryan, Anthony Rainbow, Dermot Earley, Willie McCreery, Niall Buckley, Tadhg Fennin, Brian Lacey...   you seriously think we've better than them today?   Maybe I've rose-tinted glasses but those guys proved their quality and winning mentality. Current squad has beaten Mayo and lost every other match of significance they've played. I'm sorry that's harsh. I see the potential believe me and I think we are getting better. But...
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 am

If you look at the 98 team, they got to the All Ireland with no full forward line and no subs bench.

The Flynns & Paddy Brophy (and Ben McCormack) all have more flair. Then you have Jimmy Hyland, McLoughlin, Woodgate & a plethora of others coming up behind.

A funny thing when you look at the core of that 98 team - Rainbow, Buckley, Ryan et al - they played on a sensational U21 team in 92 and lost AI semi-final to Galway. U20s had a much tougher draw this year & hockeyed everyone. The future is bright, trust me!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 am

Incidentally, it's true they've failed every major test outside of Mayo. But they have generally been very close & when you add in the U20s, I genuinely think this shit could go supernova over the next five years.

Some will say I'm deluded - but so what? I'm a Kildare fan FFS!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 am

Martin Lynch was in that full forward line. One of our best ever players. I get your point but it’s all hypothesis and conjecture about potential. Lets hope you are proven correct. No one wants that more than me.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
If you look at the 98 team, they got to the All Ireland with no full forward line and no subs bench.

The Flynns & Paddy Brophy (and Ben McCormack) all have more flair. Then you have Jimmy Hyland, McLoughlin, Woodgate & a plethora of others coming up behind.

A funny thing when you look at the core of that 98 team - Rainbow, Buckley, Ryan et al - they played on a sensational U21 team in 92 and lost AI semi-final to Galway. U20s had a much tougher draw this year & hockeyed everyone. The future is bright, trust me!

They beat a serious Dublin Team in that 92 Final and lost a Semi Final to a Galway Team that went on to win two senior All Ireland Seniors. Come on HG.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

No full forward line? Steady on. Lynch could blow hot and cold but on a going day he was unmarkable and would walk onto the current team anywhere from 8 - 15. O'Dwyer was criminally underrated. What he lacked in pace he made up for with his accuracy off either foot. He was inspired in the semi final and had he been around in 97 we would have gone far that year. Graven offered little from general play but was a very steady freetaker.

The players we could introduce off the bench back then were hardly donkeys either. You had the experience of Sos Dowling and Davy Dalton, a very effective target man in Bryan Murphy, a good finisher in Padraig Brennan. The current panel has potential but that's all it is at the moment.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Jaysus lads what is this - the Get Grafitti thread?!

If we can't get a little excited with a talented senior team being supplemented by our first AI winning team in over half a century, the game is hardly worth the candle.

For the record, obviously I think that 97-2000 team were absolute heroes and warriors. In fact, if you put them up against current Dublin team I fully believe they'd do what Mayo have done & absolutely sew it into them time and again. They didn't give a shit about reputations which is one of the best qualities a sports team can have.

Something our current group needs to work on but I do think they're getting better all the time.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:46 pm

98 was a serious team but did lack scoring power. If JD and Fenin had been around 2 years earlier it might have been enough to get us over the line.
Of the present team, 1 to 9 how many would have made it on 98 team? On the other hand the 2 Flynns and Cribben would certainly walk onto the 98 team in my opinion. And the best of them all might just be Hyland. So no pressure there Jimmy!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 pm

I genuinely think John Doyle was the kind of player we were missing in 98, and Nuxer was the kind of player we were missing in 2000.

But in a lot of ways that's the history of Kildare. I really think if we had Tompkins & Fahy during Micko's first stint, we would have won a Leinster in that time.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Just to say, the point I was making about that full forward line is that none of them were natural scorers, although all quite brilliant in their own right.

But if you look at them: Lynch was a genius but was playing a target man role in that full forward line; Karl O'D was a stylish playmaker rather than a prolific scorer; and Graven always worked his socks off and easily one of Kildare's greatest ever freetakers, although rarely scored from play.

Micko created an effective full forward line - brilliantly because that's what the greatest managers do - rather than having three out and out assassins, if you know what I mean.

Point taken about subs bench, I did overstate that. But you know what I mean about two talented squads coming together.

Yeah, I am genuinely excited. So shoot me!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 pm

But to go back to original point of thread, hopefully we have Ryan back next year. And it would be amazing to have Ben McCormack and Jack Robinson in there as well, if possible.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:30 pm

i believe if we had tomkins and fahy we would have won all ireland
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 pm

They were unbelievable players – I would have Tompkins on my all-time 15. As Liam Hayes has said – who was playing against him on the day – his performance in 88 drawn game one of the all-time great individual displays in an All Ireland final.

Two years later, Fahy kicked four points from play in the final and won MOTM.

Still utterly sickens me that we lost them.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:19 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
But to go back to original point of thread, hopefully we have Ryan back next year. And it would be amazing to have Ben McCormack and Jack Robinson in there as well, if possible.

hyland is in a different league to these boys. there is only so many forwards that you can have in your panel.any issues we have are defensive not attacking. will these boys do anything to solve our at times shaky defence.?

I'd be keeping a closer eye on the boys stopping these lads scoring in the club championship .
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:32 am

Totally disagree on McCormack and Robinson, they are fantastic players. Having loads of attacking options certainly hasn't done Dublin much harm.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 am

What you are saying is correct HG but given a panel of approx 35, the make up of that has to be somewhat balanced, probably 2 keepers 14 backs 4 mids and 14 forwards. It seems we all have forwards that we suggest should join the panel but not so many defenders. With Leper being the only player that we know of departing the scene accommodating the likes of Ben and Jack Robinson won’t be easy as I don’t think many of the forwards that were part of the set up last year deserve to be dropped.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:36 am

It’s not realistic for Robinson to walk onto the panel after not making himself available for u-20. Who knows if he’s even interested? Ben’s situation also seems to bring commitment into question. Plenty of Donegal & Mayo players live in Dublin but a Kildare lad in Sligo can’t travel back. That’s not a criticism by the way as we all have to make our own life decisions. I’d say McLoughlin and possibly Woodgate would be ahead of both in management’s reckoning right now.
Back to top Go down
Newbridgeornowhere
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:45 am

What players removed from current Panel to make way for U20 players

U20 players on senior Panel at moment
Jimmy Hyland
Mark Dempsey
Aaron o neill
Ruadhan o Giollain
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:00 am

Jesus lads, any teams from the 90s wouldn’t hold a candle to the teams of today. Sports science has transformed the game, micko used to insist his players ate frys on the day of games ffs.

Look at how much teams score these days compared to the scores kildare put up in 98 and that’s with far more bodies in defence.

Watch how often players turn over the ball in the 90s under no pressure.

If you want to believe joe brollys misty eyed view that his era was the best than it’s up to you but you’d be barking up the wrong tree.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2019   

Back to top Go down

Player Watch 2019
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next