Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Tyrone

Go down 
+35
Rex
flourman
topcat
SeamusMurphy
Gaa1928
Shay tompkins
TheManInTheStands
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
murof
lilysavage
Taibi
Botch
Badger85
Kildare98
KILL BILL
TommyKeegan
bite the pillow
intheback
John_R
jimmers
if_in_doubt
moatesports
jj
tpos
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
parcel
johnnykildare
Cassanata
MD
White Bridge
OutTheGap
Blackadder
kickingking
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
I suppose the bottom line is that we are just not good enough, full stop, no shame in that as we are in the same position as about 28 other counties. If anyone thinks a new manager and some new players, if they are out there, will make any difference, then you are diluted.
.....and probably deluded as well !!!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 am

Think the word you looking for is deluded... Although maybe we are also diluted.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 8:31 am

Correct,.wrong spelling but same meaning, 👍👍👍
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:05 am

What are we doing wrong though. How can we be in top handful of underage counties in country, but within a couple of years we cannot match them (Dublin aside). Where/what is the fundamental issue?
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 am

CON INTERVIEW IN 2016 - he obviously doesn’t know the difference between a hand pass and a kick pass. “We want hard work, we want effort, we want them to play at a high tempo, which is what I believe Kildare football should be about simply because of the players at their disposal.

“Their kick-passing has improved immensely in the last six-to-eight weeks.

“I want us to kick. I want us to be a kicking team.”
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am

It’s multifacted, but just looking purely at this year...

1. O’Neill while a good manager, is not really at the very top level. I’ve said all this before so I’m not going to harp on about it.

2. We did get a horrendous run of injuries (is training causing any of this?)

3. A lot of players didn’t/couldn’t commit. This might actually be the most important element - until we get this sorted I think we’re stuck.

4. There is a total problem with the leadership & mentality in the group who are there. I keep banging on about Mayo, really cos I admire them so much, but they are absolute warriors. How many of our lads would you say that about?

So, plenty of problems there to address & damned if I have all the answers right now.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:28 am

Let’s be honest with ourselves, when the chips are well & truly down, do we have the f*****g Boyles, Keegans, Higgins - or the Ryans, Doyles, McCreerys - who are going to dig in & refuse to take no for an answer.

I don’t think many people would say yes. I’m sure we do the training but this team doesn’t PLAY like it’s the most important thing in their lives. There is a difference. Too often in games they’re going through the motions.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 am

HG Sorry but.....

1. O'Neill is NOT a good manager, exactly what evidence is this based on? how many inept horror shows do you need?

2. Injuries? Every county suffers these, Kildare's is not significantly disproportionate

3. Players not committing? that translated means the players have no confidence in the set up, Dan Flynn would play in a vibrant well coached team, the belief is not there.

4. Leadership..... agreed
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 am

Ok, here we go again, 1 All Ireland in 91 years, 2 Leinster Titles in  63 years and no National Leagues Titles ever, why oh why should we think that we deserve to be amongst the elite.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 am

Ok, here we go again, 1 All Ireland in 91 years, 2 Leinster Titles in  63 years and no National Leagues Titles ever, why oh why should we think that we deserve to be amongst the elite.
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 am

O neill a good manager. Are you diluted and deluded. What is the basis for this comment.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:50 am

Each this own, but personally, I wouldn’t dismiss O’Neill out of hand. 2017 was a strong year & after a bad start, the second half of last year had some memorable moments - I’ve been following Kildare for 30 years and Newbridge Or Nowhere definitely among the highlights.

Injuries not being disproportionate... Maybe, but Paul Cribbin on the back of Flynn - two players who, at their best, I believe would get on any team bar maybe Dublin - was cruel. Then we lost McCormack early again today etc.

I can’t comment on Dan’s outlook, but I would concede when you add him to Masterson, Murray, McLoughlin, Robinson, O’Toole & others, there is a pattern emerging.

All I know is until it’s sorted we’re most likely stuck in abject mediocrity.
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am

We have been a top bottom 16 team for the Last 91 years as we have had ineffective leadership at county board level for that period apart from a few outliers in the 1990s. Accept facts we have aspirations above our station but leadership we deserve and who achieve what they are qualified ie mediocrity.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:53 am

I do think we should be doing much better because for the past decade we have held our own against literally the most well-resourced underage set-up in GAA history & last year even added an All Ireland into the bargain.

And I would say O’Neill, to be fair to him, would acknowledge we should have higher aspirations than mid-table Div 2.
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:58 am

Consistently 16th, consistently mediocre, consistently rudderless, consistently leaderless. Remember where the win against mayo came in a woeful run of results Kilkenny footballers would have been ashamed of. And remember in relation to all the ifs if only for injuries if only for lads not having the balls if only for the wind. If my aunt had baxxs she’d be my uncle
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 10:02 am

An eloquent riposte... Pulitzer nomination probably still some distance off though.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 am

No kick out strategy. No discernible centre back.. constantly shadowing players instead of tackling.
Scores coming from individual plays rather than team moves.
Players playing that aren’t of county standard.
A manager out of his dept.
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Tyrone were underestimated by many, I think they are going places and will take some stopping but having said that, taking a 10 point hammering in Newbridge is unacceptable. Even if Tyrone go on to beat Dublin and win the all Ireland allowing any team to score 2-22 in Newbridge is shameful, a serious look at defending and tactics is needed.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Tyrone were way ahead. They actually were faster than the Kildare player in all positions. So even speed alone was an issue. There were problems in all areas of the pitch. Do any of our forwards actually have a quick turn or are they all programmed to pass it back to where it came from all the time.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 10:46 pm

O'Neill is a good manager in my opinion, we can't keep blaming managers. Jason Ryan done wonders with Wexford but couldn't make head way with our lot. Says it all really. About 5 players wanted to win that game yesterday, the rest couldn't have looked more disinterested. O'Neill said at the start of his reign he didn't want guys to just want to play for Kildare, he wanted guys to win with Kildare. He didn't get that. His best player last year packed it in. What can O'Neill do about that? Let's stop scapegoating him, he's not perfect but he's far from the main problem with Kildare.

People still pine for the McGeeney years, including me but he was far from perfect too, it wasn't his tactical nous that had Kildare flying, he instilled a belief, a will to win and players bought into it. That's what's needed. Those players wanted to die on the pitch for McGeeney. Ryan and O'Neill didn't have that but doesn't mean they're bad managers.

As for the kickout strategy, Donnellan has been a massive problem all year long and should've been dropped after the Wicklow game. CON has to take the blame for that for sure.

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:51 pm

What about Tyrone kickouts? Have the ball and run through us. Too soft. Completely agree about this idea of putting it all on the manager. Managers never won an all ireland. And never will. If you need a coach to show you how to tackle at 26/27, you're in a bad way. Harder edge needed next year please.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 pm

The manager has to take responsibility for the way the defense is set up and has been since he came. Also his blind faith in his goalkeeper and centre back even though both clearly are not capable of performing some essential components of the game.
You could also question the strength and conditioning of his team as every Tyrone player seemed stronger and faster than their direct opponent. The only exception was Conway who should be made captain as he always leads by example.
We could improve a lot if we could find a big target man like Mcshane. I know we tried it with TOC but he was no scoring threat. Do we have anyone like that in Kildare? Mcloughlin did it so well for the U20's last year.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 12:38 am

John_R wrote:

It's going to be a very appealing job IMO. Super talent in the county at present. Get the players back involved that HG mentioned and keep the big guns injury free and you're talking. All the new manager has to do is get us tackling and defending in a system and in a legal manner.  

Easy, right!?

You are joking? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 1:09 am

murof wrote:
The manager has to take responsibility for the way the defense is set up and has been since he came. Also his blind faith in his goalkeeper and centre back even though both clearly are not capable of performing some essential components of the game.
You could also question the strength and conditioning of his team as every Tyrone player seemed stronger and faster than their direct opponent. The only exception was Conway who should be made captain as he always leads by example.
We could improve a lot if we could find a big target man like Mcshane. I know we tried it with TOC but he was no scoring threat. Do we have anyone like that in Kildare? Mcloughlin did it so well for the U20's last year.
person who was over strength and conditioning in Kildare last year now working for Kerry gaa full time
Back to top Go down
Shay tompkins
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 am

How can a goalkeeper kick out to players who have no coaching in relation to a kick out strategy. Underage football and hurling need kick-out strategies and are coached very effectively at underage level. Ask Mark Donnellan how frustrating it is to look down the field at no movement no structure and no one within idea as to what will happen. This is basic stuff and is all down to the biggest self publicist in the history of sport. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the Newcastle job because he once attended a Kildare county game in Newbridge town.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Tyrone    Kildare v Tyrone  - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Tyrone
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next