Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Next Kildare Manager

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Newbridgeornowhere
Senior
Senior

Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 12:57 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Ewan MacKenna in as psychologist... Leftfield but I'm in favour.
Ewan calls jack grumpy man
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 1:46 am

All Out Strikes perpetually
Back to top Go down
Club fan
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 5:02 am

TheManInTheStands wrote:
Connell , Two Flynn’s, Nash

Sent from Topic'it App
Connell. Thats the exact reason trials are a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 6:29 am

He has the attributes to be a good footballer but needs rewiring. Maybe Jack can do it.
Back to top Go down
maccie
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 7:22 pm

See link below ,Larry Tompkins some loss to Kildare but great outcome for Gaelic Football. Not many like him who would do anything to win , was tough as nails with no pain threshold! (not exactly Kildare prototype).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/always-willing-to-suffer-larry-tompkins-became-corks-game-changer-959848.html

Back to top Go down
Newbridgeornowhere
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Players from current panel who against tryone in qualifiers don’t have do trail match
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Not exactly breaking news, but the history of mismanagement, underachievement etc in Kildare is something else. There's a strong argument for us being the most underachieving country in country.

We should have been well able to compete with Meath in 80s, but county board were happy enough to let one of the greatest players of all-time leave. Also let Shea Fahy walk out the door – the equivalent of us now letting Kevin Feely go to Cork.

The whole episode is genuinely mindbending.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 am

maccie wrote:
See link below ,Larry Tompkins some loss to Kildare but great outcome for Gaelic Football. Not many like him who would do anything to win , was tough as nails with no pain threshold! (not exactly Kildare prototype).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/always-willing-to-suffer-larry-tompkins-became-corks-game-changer-959848.html

The podcast is worth listening to. He was a different animal and even in the modern game, he would be. Could come across as arrogant and he tries to be modest at times, but he knew he was good and he worked in a way nobody did to get that good. I've said it here often - the timing was good for Cork, with a clatter of U21 All-Ireland-winning teams coming through and Shea Fahy ironically landing the same time but none of it would have happened without Larry Tompkins. Not a prayer. Had forgotten he was out for the '93 final - as if that wasn't enough of a kick in the balls, I had erased Larry's absence from the memory bank.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 10:40 am

His display in drawn 88 game strong contender for best individual display ever in a final... It’s a really interesting interview actually as I don’t think I’ve ever heard him talk about Kildare before.

You can hear he still has emotional connection with the county which is nice as I wasn’t sure he still had that. Losing him & Fahy one of the sorest ones ever for me. Thankfully we did actually manage a couple of Leinster with Micko cos if we hadn’t it would haunt the county even more than it already does.

I definitely think we’d have won another one - and possibly league as well - if we’d had them during Micko‘s first stint tho.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
His display in drawn 88 game strong contender for best individual display ever in a final... It’s a really interesting interview actually as I don’t think I’ve ever heard him talk about Kildare before.

You can hear he still has emotional connection with the county which is nice as I wasn’t sure he still had that. Losing him & Fahy one of the sorest ones ever for me. Thankfully we did actually manage a couple of Leinster with Micko cos if we hadn’t it would haunt the county even more than it already does.

I definitely think we’d have won another one - and possibly league as well - if we’d had them during Micko‘s first stint tho.

Agree 100%. Bullied by Dublin in 1991 league final and subsequent Leinster championship matches. No way would Larry Tompkins or Shay Fahy have allowed that.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Also, it was the standards he demanded. He says in the podcast when he went into Cork, he couldn't believe how little training they were doing and Morgan had told him they were really fit and if he needed to step out, no worries til he got up to speed. He was doing it all on his own, even in New York. Cork were also soft and he impressed on them the need to toughen the fuck up if they were to stand up to Meath.

He was incredible in '88 drawn final, playing in midfield with his hamstring in absolute pieces. Spent three weeks between draw and replay at Old Trafford. Didn't kick a ball.

Tommy fucking Sugrue though, a staggering free to give.

Kildare would have been different beasts with Tompkins. And Shea Fahy was a phenomenal midfielder too, some exhibition in 1990 final.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 pm

Kildare would have been different beasts with Tompkins. And Shea Fahy was a phenomenal midfielder too, some exhibition in 1990 final.[/quote]

Yes 3 points from play
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 2:57 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Not exactly breaking news, but the history of mismanagement, underachievement etc in Kildare is something else. There's a strong argument for us being the most underachieving country in country.

We should have been well able to compete with Meath in 80s, but county board were happy enough to let one of the greatest players of all-time leave. Also let Shea Fahy walk out the door – the equivalent of us now letting Kevin Feely go to Cork.

Feely has a bit to do before you can compare him to Fahey. Even at club level
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 3:03 am

I’ll compare him to whoever I like without your permission, thanks.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 3:05 am

Botch wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

Feely has a bit to do before you can compare him to Fahey.  Even at club level
Agreed, has always failed to make an impression against Ronan Sweeney or Gary White when Athy have played Moorefield or Sarsfields.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 am

Like Shea Fahy, Feely has one Kildare title - I actually saw them best Sarsfields in 2011 & he was brilliant.

Will ye stop talking rubbish & embarrassing yourselves.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 3:58 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Like Shea Fahy, Feely has one Kildare title - I actually saw them best Sarsfields in 2011 & he was brilliant.

Will ye stop talking rubbish & embarrassing yourselves.

Not sure about embarrassing haunted.....That's your opinion.  I am yet to be convinced.  Plenty would agree with me.
He might be a good player but for all the hype around him he only comes out 5050 against a lot of the stronger club players.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 am

Think we’re talking about different players... I’m talking about the guy who was All Star nominated in 2017. He was better then Brian Fenton in Leinster final that year which got him the nomination - that’s the guy I’m talking about.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 6:07 am

Shay Fahy has 2 Kildare titles 82 and 86 and an all star (not just a nomination)
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 am

Lot easier to win titles and awards when surrounded by great players. There were some brilliant footballers on that Cork team, neither of those 2 lads would have a hope of an All Star if they stayed with Kildare.
They were both past their best when Kildare had a good team again in 92-93.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 am

murof wrote:
Lot easier to win titles and awards when surrounded by great players. There were some brilliant footballers on that Cork team, neither of those 2 lads would have a hope of an All Star if they stayed with Kildare.
They were both past their  best when Kildare had a good team again in 92-93.

Not so sure if they had stayed with Kildare inter county mileage would have been relatively low. Put them in a team with the likes of Ryan and Buckley (very young I know both very talented who went on to win all stars) with Micko calling the shots and the breakthrough could have happened before 97/98.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2019 4:01 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

Emotional connection? Please tell me you are joking? Is that why he wore the Cork cilours on Rte when we played them in the late noughties?

Larry is only emotionally attached to himself.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2019 4:21 am

Jesus does everyone have to pick holes in literally EVERYTHING I post on here?

Listen to the podcast & you will hear an attachment there that I haven’t heard before. Although given the level of idiocy in your post I don’t expect you to hear it.

And while the obsession with my views on here is flattering, please note that I won’t be commenting further on Larry Tompkins’ earth-shattering Irish Examiner podcast, as I actually have a life.

Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2019 8:10 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Jesus does everyone have to pick holes in literally EVERYTHING I post on here?

Listen to the podcast & you will hear an attachment there that I haven’t heard before. Although given the level of idiocy in your post I don’t expect you to hear it.

And while the obsession with my views on here is flattering, please note that I won’t be commenting further on Larry Tompkins’ earth-shattering Irish Examiner podcast, as I actually have a life.

Someone disagrees with a post you made so you throw ghe toys out of the pram. And you have the audacity to call my posts idiotic.

For the record I heard the podcast. Awful shame that he never played with Eadestown when he came back instead of seeking silver elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 8:46 am

Why wouldn't he wear the Cork colours Hawker? He won All-Irelands with them and was treated with far more respect down there than he ever was with the gombeens in his own county. The real tragedy here is that those responsible still have an input into the running of the GAA in this county.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Kildare Manager   Next Kildare Manager - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Kildare Manager
Page 19 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next