Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+54
Wonderful barn
CillDara71
Onhisboot
FlourBag_1
Thelillywhites
NorthernLily89
Southern Gael
Carbury legend
Gaa1928
Cilldara_2000
OutTheGap
topcat
Taibi
moatesports
White Bridge
seamymurphy
Kildare98
murof
Caprea
lilysavage
KILL BILL
Rex
jobluts
bite the pillow
lomond
TommyKeegan
Highball
learmus
Flamingo
Cassanata
micky murphy
Curraghplains
steviegenius
jj
LillieLad
Botch
kelf
Dido
ixus
DONTPULLOUT
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
lily4fr
white boy
Liffey Likes
SamMaguire
Badger85
jimmers
walsheman
lillyboy
All down the line
Ogie
Hurlerbehindtheditch
totalgaa
58 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
white boy
Senior
Senior

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am

That's a sad job in Moorefield, to get your Club underage noticed. The man from the Sash made a jobshite out of them.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
Lowest semi-final attendance in 23 years. Hopefully we're getting closer to the point where the suits will finally sit up and take notice but I'm doubtful. They'll keep fiddling while Rome burns. Their best idea is likely to be another ticket price hike.

It's dead money to watch your County now. Before the financial doping you would invest your hard earned money into your team with the chance that the payback would be a title. It usually never happened, but there was always a chance. Now you know you won't get any payback so why invest.
The GAA thought they were smart lads with their Dublin project but all they have done is destroy the great sport they had. They will forever be remembered for this and forgiveness will be in short supply.

Its supremely ironic that the plan they thought would save the game is the one that has killed it. Way to go lads.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Don't expect any change any time soon considering the statements Horan and others have been coming out with lately. No one likes to admit they made a mistake be it Trump, Brexit and they will always try to blame other people.
If Dublin manage to isolate O'Callaghan in a one on one against that Kerry defense he could easily score 3 or 4 goals.
Were it not for that meltdown against Donegal they could be going for 7 in a row.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 7:15 pm

The Sad part now is that Dublin could give the Gaa back 1.3 m every year as a Tax no problem. The are so Commercially strong it would not take much out of them. Even there Clubs are money makers. I put this Question to Gaa what other county can pay 8million for a site off the M 50 . How is that done? how do you service that debt? do the sums. Give you a Laugh on Dub told me it was Fundraising, I said you must be shaking some amount of Buckets 😁😁😁
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 pm

I have never heard of a Dub fundraiser but I could be wrong?
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Botch wrote:
I have never heard of a Dub fundraiser but I could be wrong?

I'm pretty sure on their last accounts their fundraising amounted to around €50k, around the same as Leitrim. Why would you need to fundraise when the GAA are handing you money and the amount they get through sponsorship.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 pm

That's unbelievable... €50000. Jesus.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 pm

2016 were last set of accounts they had leaked. Yes, 50,000 fundraising from that population, same year Mayo fundraised way over a million.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm

That's mad. Sure fundraising is one of the most difficult tasks of a county board. Take that away and you have time to put into other areas.... mainly coaching
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Forget sounding the deathknell... Football as we knew it is officially dead. The next few years will be a story of further declining interest and attendances.

Mad thing is county boards around the country are perfectly happy with the situation!!

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

There is no magic bullet but surely the Dubs are self-sufficient at this stage?
A massive redeployment of central funds to other counties is needed. Or not funds, just straight up more coaches as per what is happening in East Leinster project.
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Botch wrote:
That's mad.  Sure fundraising is one of the most difficult tasks of a county board.  Take that away and you have time to put into other areas.... mainly coaching

At club level I find fundraising the most difficult & thankless job. Jim Gavin is peddling this we are volunteers crap on a constant basis. He is saying the players were involved in Cul Camps all week. Of course the can because they don't have to work like most players in other counties.

On the subject of Cul Camps I think the change of format and rules enforced on clubs this year is a prime example of the disconnect between HQ and grass routes. It's there to suit the big city clubs without a thought for the rural ones with much less members.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 12:59 am

Cassanata wrote:
Botch wrote:
That's mad.  Sure fundraising is one of the most difficult tasks of a county board.  Take that away and you have time to put into other areas.... mainly coaching

At club level I find fundraising the most difficult & thankless job. Jim Gavin is peddling this we are volunteers crap on a constant basis. He is saying the players were involved in Cul Camps all week. Of course the can because they don't have to work like most players in other counties.

On the subject of Cul Camps I think the change of format and rules enforced on clubs this year is a prime example of the disconnect between HQ and grass routes. It's there to suit the big city clubs without a thought for the rural ones with much less members.

Sorry, what change of format and rules............as far as I know Cúl camps in Kildare are same as before only bigger!
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 am

Just to give an idea how football is dead and lost to the general population of Ireland. I was away in Waterford for the week end. On Saturday at 4.45 (15 minutes before throw in) both TV sets in the bar in a hotel I was were were showing the Saturday score results on Sky TV with no one paying attention to the TV or asking could you change over to watch the game. I left and watched game elesewhere.
On Sunday I was in an well know pub in Tramore which had 2 TV one at either end of large room. One was showing Kerry / Tyrone game the other showing Man Utd game. There were about 6 of us in total watching the Croke park game, while the other end of the pub was packed watching the foreign sport.

I know I was in a hurling county but lots of holiday makers about, but very few seemed have any interest in either All Ireland semi final. Inter county Football is dying and I have a few reasons.

1 Dublin Dominence
2 Style of football been played by all counties.
3 Too expensive to go and watch live
4 Percieved not as sexy as Rugby to support and we wanted to give a further boost to Rugby the biggest threat to the hearts and minds of our young people by supporting A World Cup Bid.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 am

For me financial doping of Dubs definitely the biggest part of it – GAA ploughed money into Dublin, meanwhile let hurling and football die in a great traditional county like Offaly. Imagine they were the last county to thwart a five in a row attempt and now they can't compete at the top in either code.

Really shocking but as we saw on Sunday fans definitely voting with their feet.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 am

Agree HG, take Mayo fans having forked our for six matches in seven weeks and travel costs also. It’s way too expensive now. Known fact Munster ie Cork and Kerry never travel for a semi final. Ulster teams aren’t great Travellers either. In fairness Northern teams don’t bring a lot more but wait.... the voice of reason John Horan will be on the Sunday Game in three weeks time more than likely from the Gibson Hotel spouting on about a very lucrative and successful 2019 Championship for the GAA. I fear for the county game as it stands and to be honest the club game support is dwindling also. The future isn’t smelling of roses
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 am

Money grabbing going on in every county.... how much did Kildare GAA make on the club championship gates over the weekend... getting expensive to even follow your club now!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am

Well in fairness I was at three game sin Newbridge yesterday for a tenner. That's great value
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 am

The complete over-reaction to Dublin's second half further evidence of how the media – well Dub supporters in the media – desperately trying to convince themselves this is a one-off freak team rather than the result of a massive influx of money, resources, sponsorship, home advantage etc.

I was in the stadium and, yes, while it was a brilliant period of play from Dublin, I have seen just as good in the past – Galway flaying us in the second half of the 1998 AI final springs to mind. Also, Kerry performance against Dublin in 09 was actually better over a sustained period but the Dub cheerleaders don't want to hear it.

In addition, those performances more admirable because they came from teams who didn't have the entire weight of the association behind them.

Sad to say, but it's increasingly hard to justify shelling out money to follow Kildare, and wouldn't be one bit surprised if more players in Kildare and elsewhere start to follow Daniel Flynn's lead.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm

GAA now charging an extra €10 for All Ireland final tickets which brings it to €90. Another PR masterstoke from our boys. What planet are these guys living on? You'd presume this rise is to counter the crap attendances of the Super 8s and Sunday's semi-final.

Got to keep those red bars rising too..

General GAA - AOB Vhrhvc
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Although it looks bad €90 for a final ticket is not shocking. Its the event and the product that's the problem. Until there are games more even and exciting the GAA are in trouble. Only way to do this is to support the fringe counties to try compete with the dubs. They are well ahead at the minute I'm afraid and from what I seen at the weekend in the club championship they will be staying there.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Here's the problem the GAA face. On one hand they want to be a business. On the other hand they aren't run by people you'd let near a business. When you walk that path with people not capable of walking that path, a medium-term result is bankruptcy. They want to keep chucking money at Dublin while interest dwindles there due to inevitability of winning and elsewhere due to inevitability of losing, while pulling wool over eyes with extra games in Super 8s and charging more to make up for shortfalls. Not sustainable gents.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 pm

No, it is shocking. It's an amateur sport. If you weren't an ignorant meat-head Dub you'd want your head examined to pay that money.

You paid €8 into club championship at the weekend and most likely got to see a double or triple header and you're moaning about that?
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 11:46 pm

€90 in is getting to farcical levels - Lets not forget this is an amateur organisation yet the powers that be talk about "the product" and similar priced events etc...

That shouldnt ever come into the argument

Its getting to price gouging levels and no doubt it will be a full house but the long term prospects are awful.

The horse has bolted.

IMO €50-€60 is more than a fair price to pay. As Tommy was saying , theres a massive conflict between wanting to be run as a business and yet maintain the "amateur" illusion.

This rise is another tip of the hat in the direction of business ruling sentiment.

Another nail in the intercounty coffin. Spin it whatever way you like, attendances will continue to decline.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Was just working out, family of four from Tralee between match tickets and the train are already at €530 and that's before any food or drink over a 14-hour day. Not sure many could justify that even if they had a chance, but the GAA want it handed over to see their identity humiliated with majority of money going to the side who just humiliated them, are already rich and have to travel nowhere ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

General GAA - AOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next