Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Intermediate
Intermediate

Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Empty
PostSubject: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm

What is your opinion on playing Double Headers ? Is it a good idea ? Did anyone go earlier than usual and catch the Hurling where you would not have gone to it if was a standalone fixture ? Would you go to watch more of the Hurling for the next Double Header ? What did you make of the attendance at yesterday's game ?
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 am

Interesting you should bring this up, I was only talking about it yesterday.

I'm a hurling supporter, have played hurling in the county all my life and go to as many games as I can but I find double headers almost more difficult to get to that normal stand alone matches.

For instance, yesterday, I was bringing my young lad. There's no way I could make it to both games. He'd be both bored to death going to the 2 games and come out of it with pneumonia. The 40 minute wait between the 2 games is too much at this time of year.

Sadly, I don't think we have the facilities at the moment for double headers. Maybe more functional dressing rooms and better match day facilities for families might make them more appealable.

A championship double header in June or July would be a different story!
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 am

Good thread Hurler and your reply would be similar to my situation Fear B. Myself and the Wife had 2 small people and actually we got caught up in traffic coming into Newbridge and missed the feckin first 15 mins of the football (including the goal). As it was the kids were cold and restless and only thinking of when they were going to get their chicken in KFC !!! The only thing that kept them engaged and kept my sanity was Dan's goal. I try to get to as many hurling matches as possible and believe that regardless of what level we play at, the Lily Jersey means as much to our hurlers as it does to our footballers and they deserve support and respect. Overall i thought the attendance was good considering a cold January day and Naas races.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm

What was attendance does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
HauntedGraffiti

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm

Think it was about 5000. I'm all in favour of the double headers – would be great if it could happen with ladies team as well. Does a lot to promote the different codes, even if those who enjoy our Saturdays struggle with the early start Razz

Very positive reaction from hurlers in local press this week, they think it's a major plus.

Side note – or maybe it's a big note – but isn't it amazing that Carlow and Westmeath are in Div 1 and a county like Kildare are way down the rankings. Maybe I'm missing something but I find it almost inexplicable that hurling is comparatively successful in Westmeath!

Suppose Meath are in the same boat. Michael Duignan went fundraising in Meath one time, and after giving some money, Gerry McEntee told him there should be no hurling in the county and they should focus exclusively on football.

It sounds mad... but think about it, Kilkenny do the reverse. They plough all the resources into one code which is why I think there's questions marks about their success similar to Dublin's. I mean Tipperary actually pay some respect to the overall GAA ethos by embracing both codes.

And before anyone starts, no I don't have any Tipp links.
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Probably charge €30 if the ladies were playing aswell.
Back to top Go down
Newbridgeornowhere
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 pm

23 February is other Hurling and football double header
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths   Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Double Header Yesterday in St Conleths
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: