Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All Ireland 2023

Go down 
+59
TommyKeegan
White Bridge
Ontheterrace
Southern Gael
centreback
jim
Anyonebutthedubs
bloodsub
bite the pillow
topcat
gunnerman
totalgaa
rgb
ClaneLillywhite
lily4fr
Ohtoohtobe
TheBigDog#
lily92
Cilldara_2000
Blue for you
jimmers
lilywhites on tour
NorthernLily89
Clubman
Onechance
KILL BILL
Horsebox
Kildaretothebone
Kildare98
really_unofficial_kildare
cilldara_abu
DannyBoy
if_in_doubt
donnellyshollow
FlourBag_1
OutTheGap
Lilywhite forever
Liffey Likes
moatesports
Badger85
Nuxerfromthe50
Kildare-Tom
Director
lilliesabu
newornowhere
murof
Rex
Gaa1928
Highball
OutSideOfTheBoot
lilysavage
MickosMen
Cassanata
The flour bags
Leead64
shunta15
Botch
Thelillywhites
Taibi
63 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 4:46 am

Thelillywhites wrote:
Davy Burke (if he could be enticed to return to home county)
Brian Flanagan
Padraig Cribbon (Naas)
Malachy O' Rourke

1. So you want to replace Glenn with a man whom he beat only two weeks ago? Odd.

2. Possibly. But a huge risk.

3. No.

4. Unrealistic.
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 5:52 am

Taibi wrote:
Thelillywhites wrote:
Davy Burke (if he could be enticed to return to home county)
Brian Flanagan
Padraig Cribbon (Naas)
Malachy O' Rourke

1. So you want to replace Glenn with a man whom he beat only two weeks ago? Odd.

2. Possibly. But a huge risk.

3. No.

4. Unrealistic.

Suppose your suggestion is to keep Ryan? Course it is and the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
You keep Ryan don't expect anything different next year but you would be happy with that wouldn't you.

Your saying Brian Flanagan is a risk? He won An All Ireland this year for Kildare course it's a risk but sure wasn't the dream team? When they were appointed now we know what we got with them the last two years and for whatever reason or another it just hasn't worked or clicked.

Listening to Eoin Doyles post match interview. It sounded as though he said change is needed even more at a deeper level (possibly the county board to look at whats been happening the last 12 year)?
If the CB opt for no change which is the easy option then this inconsistency will just continue and as murof said this year was a waste and so will next year be. There will be even less following than the hardcore. You can see the potential support we could having arising from success there yesterday.
The CB need to be brave here and do whats best for the county. They tried the current management it hasn't worked now freshen it up.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 7:22 am

Look i am sick of this. If we want a change at county board level get ur clubs on it. Get a candidate. Get your club county board rep to voice your club opinion. I have not seen one person pushing for chair in a few years . And don't bring up that nomination years ago. Some dermot something. He was thrown there to go for it and had no clue what was going on.

really_unofficial_kildare likes this post

Back to top Go down
shunta15
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 7:26 am

Disagree with the last post I think we have proved in the last 2 games that we have have moved a lot closer to the top teams and wud have loved a chance to see exactly how we wud have got on against the top 4.ok we were beat yesterday and dublin hammered us but the game plan we had in the last 2 games showed that when the players stick to the plan we are more than capable of beating most teams.no one can say that monaghan were better than us and certainly not roscommon 2 div 1 teams.it might have taken management a while to implement it and maybe the players were at fault too but there's a system there now that the players seem to be buying into and hopefully for the future with the u 20s coming on board we will only get stronger.

cilldara_abu, lily4fr, moatesports and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
Leead64
Intermediate
Intermediate

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 am

lilysavage wrote:
Kirwan had a clear shot and hit underside of bar, why should he have passed? More likely to go wrong if he passes as there was some cover. Just needed slightly better execution from where he was.

The full back and the goalkeeper were between him and goal, Jack Robinson unmarked to his right in a good 7 or 8 yards of space.

The point is outside is daniel flynn there's no one who's first thought is to go for goal and one who know how to execute it. Whys he aiming high in that situation if its a clear shot? Any goal scorer knows you ve a greater chance of scoring going low.
Back to top Go down
The flour bags
Intermediate
Intermediate

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 5:40 pm

Clubman wrote:
Hope the management get another go at it. Think they earned it.

On what basis do they ?
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:02 pm

We've being in a cycle of replacing managers for a good while now and I believe talk of replacing Ryan is a load of horses**t. For the first time in I don't know how long we put together 2 very decent performances with 100% effort and very few stupid decisions or turnovers.

What changed??? It wasn't the management, it was the players who finally came together and took on the responsibility and acknowledged the way they have been playing wasn't good enough.

I believe the majority of players are behind Ryan and it's high time the fans and county board did it aswell.

Ogie, Ohtoohtobe, lily4fr, Taibi and moatesports like this post

Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:06 pm

I think Ryan and the lads certainly saved some face with way we finished the year. I do think though that it's time to change and see if this team can be driven even further.

Who would come in though? I doubt Burke will leave Roscommon, He won't want to finish up like this.
Flanagan? Possibly the next best candidate from Kildare but has a lack of senior intercounty management which is a problem.

Malachy O'Rourke? Would he take it is the question.

I think if we had beaten Monaghan the management team would have been given the chance to stay on for another year but even they must be looking at stepping away now at this stage.

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:43 pm

I dont think there will be a change of manager but could see Brian Flanagan coming in as no.2.

Lilywhite forever likes this post

Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 8:57 pm

lilysavage wrote:
I dont think there will be a change of manager but could see Brian Flanagan coming in as no.2.

That's a possibility. Hold out for another year and wait for Davy. Although if he has nightmare with the Rossies next year that could be that.
Back to top Go down
OutSideOfTheBoot
Junior A
Junior A

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 9:00 pm

What ever about the manager we need an outside coach (like nearly all the top teams) and a top class S&C coach. Both of these would then need to be listened to - why did Paul Galvin leave?
The redevelopment of St Conleths may have the county board trying to save on spending on the county teams but the last two games showed we could have the players to compete if there is a clear game plan & their fitness is improved
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 pm

The start of the year was so bad.. Like dreadful... A calamity of a league campaign.

However...

We did batter meath when it counted, we were close to toppling Dublin in the leinster semi. Sligo/Dublin games diaolical again followed by an excellent performance against Roscommon and another very good performance against Monaghan.

So where does it leave us.

Honestly, given the last couple of weeks, i do think Glenn and co have earned a year 3 but i would love if Flanagan was on the ticket next year with a view to him taking over the next year.

Back to the game, it was the old dog for the hard road. We left it behind us though. Kirwans cross bar effort followed up by D Flynns wayward shot were the turning point. Monahan grew in confidence from there.

But the ref...

Holy mother of god.

That last play... He held the ball and called for a mark twice. That alone was a free the other way (you have the time equivalent of 4 steps then you must play the ball).. He still turned, took steps , fell, touched the ball on the ground. The most frustrating 60 seconds of football i have watched.

Nevermind the fact the time was up.. Nevermind the fact O callaghan was pigybacked and was somehow pinged for travelling..  Nevermind the fact Kev Flynn bust a gut, got fouled and the ref conveniently standing beside the tunnell blew for full time on a foul (is this even allowed?)

On an afternoon of mysterious decisions, two other random ones were:

1. Neil Flynn conceding a throw up from a free in, what exactly was his error ?He picked the ball up to take a quick free and the ref pinged him... How is that against the rules?

2. Jack Robinson conceded a side line on the stand side, someone else from KE kicked the ball further over the line, (maybe k flynn) and the referee moved the sideline up .. Ha is this even in the rules ! To move a sideline up and in

Kev o callaghan was piggybacked again on stand side, managed to wrestle free and release (did so well) and the ref was only dying to ping him for an over carry which he blatantly did not do...

anyway... A disaster of a referee but it would have been moot had Neil Flynn or D Kirwans goal efforts gone in.

We left it behind and it hurts.

Well done lads on turning the year around. Great joy in the past couple of weeks and we competed like we knew we were capable of.

lily4fr, lilywhites on tour, OutTheGap, lilysavage, really_unofficial_kildare and Always a lilly like this post

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 9:19 pm

Like everyone else I thought Ben McCormack was superb but I think, having looked back at the game, there were a couple of occasions when there was a pass on inside that would have led to a few clear goal chances and he just held off on the pass, then again on reflection we saw what happened when we did get through on goal. I seem to remember the old saying ' there is no crossbar on the ground'.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 9:58 pm

Still hurts today and looking at the draw what a intriguing game would Armagh v Kildare have been.

Glenn if he stays definitely needs a tactical brain in his set up. I think he struggles in that area of management. Who that would be is anyone's guess.

I also think there needs to be a link to the last couple of years U20'S. They can't be wasted so you need someone who knows who can make the step up now and knows their strengths from the off. So Flanagan would be that person with possibly another of the U20 set up

S&C have been a major issue with this Kildare team in recent years. They just don't look fit enough to take on the established contenders. Obviously the are fit, but when you see Mayo or Tyrone even Monaghan yesterday they all have that extra in them when needed.

I expect no decisions will be made anytime soon but it should be looked at. The last two years have shown improvement and evolution is needed.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 10:11 pm

Weather the current management team remains is place or not should be sorted before the club championship commences.

Thelillywhites likes this post

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 10:15 pm

Definitely agree with bringing Flanagan and maybe one other of the U20 team on board. However Glen would have to offload some of his current setup to facilitate this, it's debatable how much they are contributing anyway especially as regards tactics.
Very difficult to win tight games if you can't score goals and our record in that area is deplorable. Would be worth getting Colin Cooper in for a few sessions. The guy was a genius at scoring goals and never had to resort to trying to blast the ball into the net. Cork goal at the weekend was a perfect cool finish that seems so alien to our players.
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 pm

If we don't change manager it'l be more of the same next year and another year will be wasted just like the last two.

I can see an exodus of players if they are kept.I don't believe they have the majority buy in from the players. If they don't have the majority of fans never mind players buying into it. That says it all.

I really can't see after the year we have had how this management team can be justificatlly kept on by the county board.

I can't see them stepping down mind you but if they know they don't have the support of the players then they should step away. The last two games don't make up for the shambolic year,we have had or the last two years in championship football. In fact if we were going anyway at all right. We should have been flying it against Sligo and beat Monaghan.
Two years is long enough to know what were going to get from this management and one word is
INCONSISTENCY. Now its time for a new voice if Burke isn't interested. I would hope to god the county board do reach out to him if not then Brian Flanagan should be contacted or O' Rourke with Flanagan as no.2.

Flanagan under Ryan just wont work freshen up the whole set up. New voice.
Back to top Go down
newornowhere
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 12:26 am

Thelillywhites wrote:
If we don't change manager it'l be more of the same next year and another year will be wasted just like the last two.

I can see an exodus of players if they are kept.I don't believe they have the majority buy in from the players. If they don't have the majority of fans never mind players buying into it. That says it all.

I really can't see after the year we have had how this management team can be justificatlly kept on by the county board.

I can't see them stepping down mind you but if they know they don't have the support of the players then they should step away. The last two games don't make up for the shambolic year,we have had or the last two years in championship football. In fact if we were going anyway at all right. We should have been flying it against Sligo and beat Monaghan.
Two years is long enough to know what were going to get from this management and one word is
INCONSISTENCY. Now its time for a new voice if Burke isn't interested. I would hope to god the county board do reach out to him if not then Brian Flanagan should be contacted or O' Rourke with Flanagan as no.2.

Flanagan under Ryan just wont work freshen up the whole set up. New voice.

I think your being a bit harsh on glen there, maybe just maybe Saturday is as good as we are at present. We were actually set up really good defensively on Saturday and were the better team. Glenn can't kick the ball over the bar for them, our full forward line which is a problem all year scored 2 points from play ! They missed about 3-6 ! I think Daragh will be serious in the next few years and in the long run deliver more than Daniel but at the moment we have a total over reliance on McCormack to be our line breaker and our main scorer. The one issue I did have on Saturday was the changes made and how slow we were to bring on forwards, I really thought paddy woodgate and Barry Coffey should of got 10 minutes as it was clear to anyone at the game that the forward unit wasn't working when Ben left the pitch. Anyway, imo Glenn deserves another year - we aren't that far away and patience is a virtue

Ohtoohtobe, Taibi, lilysavage, moatesports and Nuxerfromthe50 like this post

Back to top Go down
lilliesabu
Junior C
Junior C

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 12:54 am

Lads does anyone think our performance (ie the success) in the league last year was a “hang over” from 2 years of Jack O’Connor & the performances since (2 championships & the league) are a reflection of the current management?????

Last edited by lilliesabu on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total

lilywhites on tour, Twentyeight and The flour bags like this post

Back to top Go down
Director
Junior C
Junior C

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 1:47 am

I haven't noticed anyone making too much reference to the Kildare backroom setup. For instance, what does Charlie McCreevy bring? Its an embarrassment seeing him wandering around among the players before matches and sitting prominently in the dugout during the match.

Gaa1928 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 3:25 am

Mad how the mind wanders... Would only have loved to be preparing this week to go see Kildare in a (winnable!) all ireland quarter final versus armagh... I really think they could have given it a great shot

Such fine margins overall as our sick friends in Galway will also attest to.

MD, Taibi, lilywhites on tour, lilliesabu and Nuxerfromthe50 like this post

Back to top Go down
Kildare-Tom
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 4:54 am

Director wrote:
I haven't noticed anyone making too much reference to the Kildare backroom setup. For instance, what does Charlie McCreevy bring? Its an embarrassment seeing him wandering around among the players before matches and sitting prominently in the dugout during the match.  

He was giving his advice to Rainbow during the game Saturday. He's the man bringing in the money so he should stick to that.

County board will be offering Glenn & co another year... players not to keen on him staying on.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 5:26 am

The players don't want the same management team in place. That's obvious.

McCreevy ruined the economy so I wouldn't be keen on him anywhere near out setup.

KILL BILL likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nuxerfromthe50
Junior A
Junior A

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 5:37 am

Hard to see where the management went wrong I'm a major way at the weekend. 5 clear goal changes so clearly we set up well in attack and defence was good also.

If the performance graph was inverted and we were finishing the year with the Derry/Cork performances they would be gone. We aren't, and they should see our their term. Recency bias at play obviously.

Armagh on a Saturday evening would have been superb, the loss really kicks in now. A strong league and promotion next year is the most important thing now. If we can replicate the last two weeks and a level of consistency you would take that.

Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2023 5:39 am

The decision to keep the management boils down to three main points in my opinion.

1. Have the team improved over the last two years? That’s a no for me.

2. Have the players bought into the management set up? That’s a definite no.

3. Do the county board have the funds to back a new set up and what they may require? That’s probably a no too.

It’s the CB that will make the decision and they’ll pay scant regard to the players. So, I think Glenn and co will stay. Don’t agree with that. I think it’ll be another year of the same, with a lot of players stepping back.

One final question, do you believe these are the right guys to bring through and develop the u20s? It’s easy to throw them in, harder to develop them. For example, look at the current All Ireland winners in the senior set up. Have they developed and improved? Hardly.

On the weekend’s match, I’m still not the better of it. Ref aside, and he was a massive problem, a team that scored two goals in the championship failed to take any of their goal chances. No muscle memory.

If you’re not doing it in February, you won’t be doing it in June.

KILL BILL, OutTheGap and Thelillywhites like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

All Ireland 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland 2023   All Ireland 2023 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Ireland 2023
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next