Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

[quote="jnrwhite"]Saw the game for the first time in full last night. Few Canadians saw I was watching it intensely and started asking me what the hell was going on. They thought it was a mix of soccer, rugby, basketball and for some strange reason volleyball. scratch

Saw the game in full ....for the fourth time last night..then watched the Monaghan game for dessert !
Back to top Go down
Cilldarcon
Junior C
Junior C
Cilldarcon

All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Probably the last chance to watch the full game on rte player today as they tend to take them down

Also found the after match analysys- couldnt find it during the week

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Excellent Stuff... anyone else think the chap at 3minutes 19seconds looks like comerford from the minors??
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 pm

that comrerford fionn
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 6:58 am

great spot Fionn.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:55 am

This is my first posting on this new forum; I was a bit lost there during the early stages of the qualifiers for news on the team, injury updates, training etc when the old one has closed down. Hats off to the lads for getting this new one up and running. I check it at least twice a day and read every post; it’s a valuable source of information for all Kildare Gaels but particularly ones like me who live on foreign soil. Well done again buckeens!

I know I am late on this topic but I’ve waited this long to comment on the Meath game because I wanted to savour the victory, savour the memory of us hammering that shower in such a big game and as a North Kildare border man I wanted to savour the sweet taste of victory over the old enemy.
For me, it was the best feeling after a Kildare match since we beat them in 1998. It was a powerful, almost flawless performance from our lads.

What impressed we most about this performance was the way we closed the game out. With about 90 seconds left we had scored 2-15. By the end we had 2-17. We kept hammering at them and didn’t let up; we humiliated a team that was already well beaten. The lads had them bet out the gate but they wanted to beat them down the road as well. That is what Kilkenny do; they don’t have any pity and show no scruples. That’s what REAL teams do and I was delighted to see that ruthlessness on display. I believe that if the ref played another 5 minutes we would’ve went through the 20 points barrier.

Another thing that impressed me and I would say a lot of people inside and outside the county as well is how we reacted to the unfavourable situation we found ourselves in after 15 minutes or so. There’s no doubt in my mind that the Kildare team of 3 or 4 years would have lost this game by about 1-17 to 0-9 points. We would have withered away, been totally inept and relied on JD’s frees for scores.

But there is something different about this team and I believe it is down to one thing – they are enjoying their football. They are playing with an almost reckless abandon, with the enthusiasm of an U-10 team who regard playing football as something of a novelty, something that’s fun to do.

And, vitally, we can score. We kicked 19 scores in 55 minutes against Meath which averages at a score every 3 minutes or so. If we include the 7 wides, we had a shot at the target every 2 minutes. 73% of our shots at goal hit the target. That sort of shooting and strike rate is unprecedented for a Kildare team of recent times.

The most important switch of the day was bringing on Mick Foley to mark Joe Sheridan. Sheridan was winning everything that went in around the house and Meath realised he had the beating of his markers (Emmet Bolton and I think Brian Flanagan) so they kept pumping it in. Mick tied him up nicely and he barely got a sniff at it in the second half. Although this did coincide with the tide turning in our favour in mid-field, helped along by Crawford tiring and O’Brien’s bizarre decision not to make ANY substitutions until the 50th minute! How he didn’t bring in Mark Ward when Crawford’s legs were gone is beyond me.

Hugh Lynch’s foot passing last Sunday week was sublime and the finest I’ve seen from a Kildare man in Croker in years. By my reckoning all but one found the man and the one that didn’t wasn’t far off. He worked tirelessly and got back to do some cleaning up in the second half. But, he is not over furnished in the speed department. My English girlfriend said it was like looking at someone in slow motion! But that’s not to take away from his performance; I really thought he was excellent.

There is one aspect of our game that I am a bit concerned about. We didn’t catch ONE ball in mid-field. I know we broke down a lot of ball (which I presume the lads were instructed to do as opposed to making the clean catch) and won most of the breaks. But what will happen if we break it down the next day and we don’t win the breaks? Apart from Dermot, do we have any real fielder on the panel? People will say Tomas O’Connor and David Whyte but neither has experience at this level.

On to the Down game, I think it will be very interesting as both teams are similar in their make-up and play a similar type of open, free-flowing and fast football. If they leave Dan Gordon at full-back we could really exploit that. He is not a natural there and doesn’t look comfortable. Another thing I would worry about is the lack of pace of a few of our backs. Mick Foley probably won’t start but he struggles for pace as does Brian Flanagan, ditto Andrew Mac at times. The Down forwards are flyers and will take serious policing. The Meath forwards were not exactly speed merchants and the same can be said for Monaghan. The fastest set of forwards we met this year were probably Louth.....

But I expect us to shade a high-scoring frenetic game by about 4 points.

In conclusion I would like to personally thank the entire Kildare panel and management team for sending the abhorrent Royalist hordes back down the putrid chasm from whence they emerged and where they will now have to live out their monstrous existence until next January.

Lastly, I have to mention the great John Doyle. I’ve said it on here before and I’ll say it again – if I found him in bed with the missus, I’d tuck him in.

See ye in September.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:16 am

Great post Ned, nice to see you have found your voice again on the forum.

A couple of things, even when Dermot was playing we broke most of the kickouts.Watch the Derry game and the Monaghan game and you will see it.

Will your English lass be wearing the lilywhite or is she just confused with it all when the 29th comes around?

Hopefully you'll be able to come home in Sept for the Big one and maybe herself will see what a proper sport is all about.

You are probably doing it already but KFM is online and has regular interviews, updates and the general feel good factor in the county.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Ned wrote:
On to the Down game, I think it will be very interesting as both teams are similar in their make-up and play a similar type of open, free-flowing and fast football. If they leave Dan Gordon at full-back we could really exploit that. He is not a natural there and doesn’t look comfortable. Another thing I would worry about is the lack of pace of a few of our backs. Mick Foley probably won’t start but he struggles for pace as does Brian Flanagan, ditto Andrew Mac at times. The Down forwards are flyers and will take serious policing. The Meath forwards were not exactly speed merchants and the same can be said for Monaghan. The fastest set of forwards we met this year were probably Louth.....

Great post Ned. Always enjoyed your contributions on previous forums.

I would agree with you re Dan Gordon. I hope if Rogers is out that Down bring in another replacement for him and don't move Gordon out the field. I think we can isolate him inside against Smith and Kavanagh and test out his defensive instincts. Kerry looked like they could do serious damage against that Down full-back line but they simply couldn't get enough ball inside to Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan.

I wouldn't agree with McLoughlin lacking pace though. He's one of the quickest on the panel from what I've seen. I would have questioned his positional sense at times in the past but this is something that he appears to have worked on as well as his tackling.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Quote :
In conclusion I would like to personally thank the entire Kildare panel and management team for sending the abhorrent Royalist hordes back down the putrid chasm from whence they emerged and where they will now have to live out their monstrous existence until next January.

Good man ned.. Quality summation of the beating we dished out.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm

up she fcuking flew
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Great to hear from you Ned - POTW!

I've been wondering what you made of it all - great times for us Northern folk!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Agree with most of what you say Ned. Great post. However just on the clean catch/ breaking ball thing.

Kildare can mix it and do both. If you go up and catch cleanly you generally have 4 or 5 lads waiting on you when you cone down.

If you break it to a someone in waiting you can deliver quick ball which has been the key to our success over the last 3 years.

Anyhow great post, welcome to the forum. Cill Dara ABU
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Just had another look at the Meath game I notice Morgan Flats catching 2 clean catches from kick outs. I think as we all see Kildares game plan is to knock the ball down for us to gather the breaking ball its working so far but if any of the players had to catch the ball they would, maybe by knocking the ball down instead of catching they will move the ball faster into the forward line where you have Smith Kavanagh etc flying.
Back to top Go down
Ned
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 5:07 am

Cheers lads, it was great getting all that off my chest! My point re: the catching v breaking the ball was that breaking the ball all the time is great if we are winning the breaks. Breaking down the ball is an obvious part of how we play but if the opposition figure out a way to break the dominance we have when it comes to winning breaking ball, do we have the personnel to get the primary ball by leaping up and doing it the old fashioned way if Dermot isn't playing? Time will tell I suppose.

JME wrote:

Will your English lass be wearing the lilywhite or is she just confused with it all when the 29th comes around?

Hopefully you'll be able to come home in Sept for the Big one and maybe herself will see what a proper sport is all about.

You are probably doing it already but KFM is online and has regular interviews, updates and the general feel good factor in the county.

I have her well versed if almost sickened JME! She has a bit of Irish blood in her, her Grandmother was from, eh, Laois. I've watched the Meath game 4 times now, she thinks I'm cracked and a bit of a loser. Doesn't bother me one whit! I'm moving home on Sept 15th so I'll be there in person if we make the big one. I have listened to KFM many times but the last few times I've had no luck with the streaming.

As an aside, when was the last time 2 brothers started a championship game for Kildare at Senior level? Don't know the answer, just wondering.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 5:23 am

Are the Murrays from Moorefield brothers? And if so, did they play together?

I think the Spike Nolans probably played together too but that was much further back. And then of course you had the Donoghues.

Hurling wise I'm not sure, the Byrnes maybe?
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:57 am

Both Harris brothers both played, not sure if the played together though.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:58 am

Ned wrote:
Cheers lads, it was great getting all that off my chest! My point re: the catching v breaking the ball was that breaking the ball all the time is great if we are winning the breaks. Breaking down the ball is an obvious part of how we play but if the opposition figure out a way to break the dominance we have when it comes to winning breaking ball, do we have the personnel to get the primary ball by leaping up and doing it the old fashioned way if Dermot isn't playing? Time will tell I suppose.

JME wrote:

I have her well versed if almost sickened JME! She has a bit of Irish blood in her, her Grandmother was from, eh, Laois. I've watched the Meath game 4 times now, she thinks I'm cracked and a bit of a loser. Doesn't bother me one whit! I'm moving home on Sept 15th so I'll be there in person if we make the big one. I have listened to KFM many times but the last few times I've had no luck with the streaming.

As an aside, when was the last time 2 brothers started a championship game for Kildare at Senior level? Don't know the answer, just wondering.

Heathen!! I'm sure you'll put her straight. Wink
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 am

In recent years we've had the Paudie and Tommy O'Neill, James and Ian Lonergan, Dermot and David Earley. I don't think any of them played together in Championship though.

Was Paul McCormack from Clane a brother of Eddie??

As for the hurling, the Maloneys from Celbridge have played together.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Morgan & Eoghan o Flats the last day against Meath were the last brothers to start a championship match for Kildare Wink
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm

kickingking wrote:
In recent years we've had the Paudie and Tommy O'Neill, James and Ian Lonergan, Dermot and David Earley. I don't think any of them played together in Championship though.

Was Paul McCormack from Clane a brother of Eddie??

As for the hurling, the Maloneys from Celbridge have played together.

No, the McCormacks are cousins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***   All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread*** - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Quarter Final 2010: Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12 ***Official Result Thread***
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: