Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where and how to improve for 2011

Go down 
+28
Derfil
Lily8
KildareCrazy
wingback
KILL BILL
bloodsub
kildaregaa365
centreback
steviegenius
paulus
tomcruise
Sam1928
shoutitout
carburyman
Stonecold
kildareforlife
walsheman
kildarecat
stanley
Always_White
Rex
Jimmy winning matches
kickingking
kartman
if_in_doubt
lilypremier
midfieldmaestro
carra2323
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
carra2323
Intermediate
Intermediate

Where and how to improve for 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 am

Alright I know it's just a few days since we got knocked out out of this years AI, but where do people feel we can improve for 2011 and what should be our aims?

Personally I think to get promoted to Div 1 and maybe a Leinster Final would be extremely good and see how we go in the AI then. We'll play less games than this year with the hope that Early and Johnny stay fit. Players like Eoin flats, Hugh Lynch and Kelly will come on again (hopefully).

It would be nice to see Rainbow get some roll on the coaching side too.

Player wise, and I don't mean to be unkind to the lads that did us so proud this year but perhaps a keeper as I've felt McCormack has cost us a few scores with his lack of height. I also think we could add a corner back and Conway to come back into the half back line. If we can find a midfielder and another forward to provide more strength in depth.

Hopefully with the age of most of the squad we'll have many a summer like this ahead.

Cill Dara Abu!!!!

Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:12 am

Carra2323 - I think looking back on the year there is no doubt that the team trained specifically for later in the championship and that stood to them.
If they do that again next year I'm not sure league or Leinster will be a priority again. Think there is only one aim now - bring Sam back to Kildare after a very long absence.
Back to top Go down
lilypremier
Senior
Senior
lilypremier

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:42 am

I agree the league is important for trying out players , developing a balanced side. Winning a leinster would be great too, but the main priority is reaching and hopefully winning the All Ireland Final.

On the issue of players, I really hope Mickey Conway gets back to full strength, and fitness as he was influential in 2009, driving from the half backs and even scoring. I hope Rob kelly will play next year as he is a good forward and free taker also.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 am

Think the main aim for the league and even for the O'Byrne Cup should be to just try out some new players or possibly some positional moves.

The league should be a good opportunity for the likes of Moolick, Dowling, Cribbin and O'Connor to get some full games under their belts and to ease help themselves into the team. Another find like Peter Kelly this year would be great on top of this.

Wouldn't worry too much if we don't get promoted, once the lads are fit and on form going into the championship then anything after that would be a bonus.

Like midfieldmaestro said the team was trained to peak later in the championship this year, and will be again next year. Saying that if we had have beaten Louth in Navan the first day out we would have gone on to win Leinster.

A Leinster title and promotion would be nice, but really the only way to improve on this year is to actually reach the All Ireland next September.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:10 am

I think the we must improve on this year and the only way to do that now is to win leinster or get to an all ireland final.Neither will be easy,it will mean 4 long summers in a row.not many teams do that.
I'd agree that o'byrne cup and league should be used to blood players and if we could find another peter kelly we'd really be doin well.i think dowling and moolick could have a big part to play next year,also conway and rob kelly will improve us too.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:24 am

I watched the whole match again last night and while we weren't too far away, it was clear where Down had the beating of us - midfield. I thought beforehand we might get away without Dermot but once Flynn went off injured we were in all kinds of trouble. Hughie Lynch worked tirelessly and kicked two monster points but he was beaten all too often in the air. Roli has been a great servant down the years but in my view he is a half-forward - not a midfielder or a full-forward. He is never as effective in either position.

Bearing this in mind it is essential that we get Dermot back on board and patched up before next year. I would agree with other posters that the NFL is not of huge importance in terms of results. I'd use Dermot and JD sparingly during the NFL and try to build experience and confidence in some of the fringe players. Tomás O'Connor might be worth a try out around the middle. He certainly has the physique for it. Rob Kelly has been mentioned by others as a possible for midfield but I'd like to see him closer to goals where his accuracy can be utilised.

We need to persist with the full-back line we finished up with this year. Kelly has been a great find and will only improve with experience. McGrillen needs to be allowed grow into the full-back position and he will only do that with a sustained run there. Mac has been criticised down the years but it was hard to fault him this year. I think either Murphy from Larries or McEvoy from Celbridge should also be brought in to the panel to provide another option in the full-back line. Ollie Lyons should also be looked at in the O'Byrne Cup. Hopefully Declan Brennan will also be back.

I think Chalky should be given a sustained run of games in the 6 shirt. He's been moved around too often and his confidence seems to have taken a bit of a hammering. I don't think he is overrated like many Kildare fans do and I think his physicality and leadership would help bring the team on to the next level.

Hopefully Conway will be back too and he would be a big addition. Clarke ran the show for Down on Sunday and Conway can do a similar playmaking role for Kildare. I don't think he has to play as a wing-back because I think he could be equally as effective on the 40. Smullen from Ballyteague, Egan from Clane, O'Sullivan from Celbridge and Eaton from Athy are others who I think could be useful additions to the panel and would add to the competition for places in the forwards.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 am

here my option
still not sure about shorty in goals love see corley back
half back line i agree kickingking chalky at six
need place taker can take long dictance around 45 mark
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:26 am

Aim for next year, is to make another step forward which means and All Ireland final. I am not bothered about the league once we don't get relegated and give the neighbours a good trimming.
Both the O'Byrne and League should be used to bring a few lads on and give them a run in the Jersey without fear of getting dropped.

Dermot and J.D should be as said utilised very sparingly and we hopefully will be able to give Mikey Conway a good long run in the team to get back to the level he was at last year. I'd like to see Mick Foley push for a starting place as I really like him as a footballer.

Other than that an end to the injuries of this year would be nice.

On a different note it would have been fantastic to see Mickey Conway go head to head with Clarke on Sunday in the "quarterback role". Could have been worth the entry fee alone. Alas we will never know how it may have turned out.
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 am

I agree that we need a keeper with a bit of height and substance about him, a couple of balls in the last few matches dropped on the crossbar and a taller keeper would have been able to catch them. Also a stronger keeper would not have let Coulter get near t6hat ball last Sunday.
In the half backs I would like to see someone come in for Flanagan as he doesn't have the pace or passing ability required at this level. I agree that Tomas O'Connor should be given a run a midfield.
As regards the League I think it is essential that we at least hold onto Division 2 status or better still get promoted. Playing and winning against the poorer teams only promotes bad habits and it is hard to eradicate these when we come out against the better teams in the Championship.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:12 am

Hopefully unearth some new players for next year , more talent in the squad the better ,Earley recovered from surgery and back to 2009 form, Conway fully recovered and Mick Foley to get more of a role, he has class and a physical prescence. always liked him as a footballer, done a great job when he came on in the meath game and think he could have been a help against Down.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 am

midfieldmaestro wrote:
Carra2323 - I think looking back on the year there is no doubt that the team trained specifically for later in the championship and that stood to them.
If they do that again next year I'm not sure league or Leinster will be a priority again. Think there is only one aim now - bring Sam back to Kildare after a very long absence.

I'm not having a pop at you midfieldmaestro but I just can't buy into the above argument at all, it was something a few in the media leaked out and some supporters bought it as bonafide.
How you can possibly plan to peak for later in the championship is beyond me, yes we missed a hatful of scores against Antrim in Newbridge but Antrim had two late attempts that went wide if either one sailed over we were dumped out of the championship after only two games, we were just fortunate enough to get a run of games through the backdoor where we improved beyond all recognition or more to the point we re-discovered some of our best form from last season, but there was noway on earth that Geezer set out his stall for this to happen!.
Cork and Kerry will invariably play each other in a munster final such is the dearth of competition in that province, but in Leinster and Ulster you walk a fine line as there is any amount of teams that could beat you on any given day.
Make no bones about it Leinster was geezers aim this year but his plans were thrown up in the air by the Louth debacle.
By all means use the O'Byrne cup and the league to sort out your first choice 15 for the forthcoming championship, both these competitions afford mentors ample time to achieve this, in fairness to Geezer he had a catalogue of injuries and suspensions to deal with through this seasons league campaign which obviously didn't help our preparations for the Louth game, the backdoor run afforded us the opportunity to put things right. Hopefully next season we have no such problems and have a clean run leading up to the championship and Mikey Conway comes back like the player he was.
Does anyone think Hugh McGrillen would be better served further out the field like he is for his club and college team?.
I still believe our backline needs a major tinkering with especially the full backline and as someone said another midfielder wouldn't go astray for cover.
One thing we found out about Hugh Lynch he sure can hit that ball but he does seem to lack the mobility for midfield maybe moving him to centre half back might be an option?.
Now if we could only persuade Paddy Murray out of inter county retirement??????
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 am

Paddy murray is not the answer,super club player,but wudnt be able for the pace as he has gotten on over the last few years!!
hugh in centre back wud be a nightmare,foley there nxt year hopefully
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:57 am

agree with kildarecat love see mc grillen play wing back
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:16 am

walsheman wrote:
Paddy murray is not the answer,super club player,but wudnt be able for the pace as he has gotten on over the last few years!!
hugh in centre back wud be a nightmare,foley there nxt year hopefully

Do you mean walsheman by "pace" that he wouldn't last a full pelt 70 minutes of an inter county game? or he has lost his pace?, I presume you mean the former, but if it was the latter I can guarantee he would still out pace the vast majority of the current team over 100 metres, not as fast as he was but do you remember how fast he was in his prime he was bloody lightening! as such he still possesses a great turn of foot and imo he could still cut the mustard at inter county level and his dead ball kicking would be a valuable asset considering the inconsistency shown by Johnny among others at placed balls this year.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am

yeh he was lightening,and unfortunately we didnt get the best outta him,just think it cud be to late now!!!
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:20 am

paddy murray 31 i think
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:27 am

fone wrote:
paddy murray 31 i think

Yeh Paddy is in around the thirty mark, if I think correctly he was 23 when he played in the Leinster final against Laois in 2003?.
Well if dermot is still young enough [injury free of course] why not Paddy?, but to be honest I'd be grasping at straws to think Paddy would come back again!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 am

Didn't Paddy Murray more or less rule himself out from ever returning to inter-county football? He knew himself that his body wouldn't be able for it after the amount of injuries he's had down the years.

I still think Kevin O'Neill could offer something to the county panel but there may have been bridges burned. McGeeney clearly doesn't really fancy him for whatever reason. I don't think he's the saviour that some proclaim him to be but he could still be useful to have around if a big powerul forward was causing us problems - like the job he did on Martin Flanagan in the NFL.

I think we'd be mad to move McGrillen now though. We've had all sorts of problems at full-back since Ronan Quinn retired (Lyons, Mullarkey, Hendy, Glenn, Foley, Davey, White and O'Neill all tried there since with varying degrees of success). Hughie isn't a natural full-back and I'd say he'd prefer to be further out the field but he has all the attributes to be a top class full-back. He's quick, tall, athletic and comfortable on the ball. He's only just turned twenty three and he will improve in the years to come as he learns the position.

If we move him now we'd then have to move Kelly to full-back and we'd be back to square one looking for another corner-back. Declan Brennan and Kinahan might be other options but I really do think we should persist with McGrillen minding the house.
Back to top Go down
kildareforlife
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:19 am

i agree with a lot of the comments being made.
First of all our priority should be to win the all ireland we cant be looking backwards anymore. We need to blood some of the youngsters into the team and panel by playing them in the o byrne cup and league.
We still need Early at midfield and i believe he will not give up on his career till he gets his medal. Goal is a problem area and to be honest paul flood is prob not good enough either. Full back line should remain the same they really gelled together well with kelly looking really good. Half back line might need a few changes , Conway should def be brought in and maybe that Cashin lad from maynooth for cover too. Up front we dont need to change a lot , think we were most dangerous in that line all year and the down game was prob the worst for most of the fowards.
Anyway all in all was a great year , and i think we can go one better next !
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 am

league we have derry,tyrone,.laois.meath, sligo , antrim and donegal to play main target stay division
leinster go straight in quarter final
Back to top Go down
carra2323
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Well the point about the League is to get playing at a higher standard especially the younger lads coming up. If your playing the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Cork, Mayo, Galway(even if they haven't done well this year) can only help improve our lads.

You can bet your bottom dollar Tyrone will be doing all they can to get promoted so why shouldn't we. We should have 4 home games this year so I see a great chance to get promoted. We'll have an earlier round game this year so what better preperation than a League final? So if we get into a winning habit early it will drive players on even more. I'd say the likes of Johnny and Dermot (especially) are sick of been nearly men. We have a great manager, a great group of lads that don't leave anything on the pitch so I don't see why we shouldn't get a winning mentality going early.

With regards the finding players it's more for strenghting the squad, I think since McLoughlin came back in this year he's been very solid and McGrillan has been very good and Kelly is probably an All star contender. But you would like someone to put real pressure on them for places. It would be nice to see Ollie Lyons given a run to see what he's made of.

Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:44 pm

I see this thread is developing into "lets see how many Moorefield players we can get onto the team".

Why would you mess with a solid full back line?

I agree shorty is too short and felt somebody could have caught 1 or 2 of those crossbar points but Corley is not the answer either, been there done that brought the tee shirt. I liked the cut of the minor keeper and he's a big lad.

I agree on Flanagan, the last 2 matches he's been asked to mark the danger men and he's not up to it.

Other than staying in division 2 league isn't a priority.

If you google any training methods or sciences you will see very quickly what Geezer was achieveing with players peaking at the right time. It works and if it gets us to within a whisker of an All Ireland final irrespective of league form so be it.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Agree with most of the comments lads.Think shortie done a great job all year.Dont forget he just missed the peno against meath.
Last sunday saved a great shot,that if it had gone in we would have been bet by a lot more.
Think foley and chalky should be given a run ,and also unearth one or two more jewels like kelly
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Dont agree stonecold Shortie,didnt do much wrong this year
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:07 pm

As everyone has noted on here recently - the majority of the team are quite young. Would be good to do what Waterford hurlers did this year and just give JD, Dermot, Roly, Killian Brennan, Rainbow (prob others) a break from most of the league as they've been constantly playing for 10years now.

Time for some of the others to step forward as leaders like Flynn, Conway, McGrillen, Kavanagh, Smyth, Callaghan.

I'd be optimistic that the two Whytes, two Lyons, Kelly, T O'Conor and Mick Foley could all play a part in the team and add something. Lots of competition there now for places.

I don't know how anyone could agrue that Kildare weren't aiming to peak in July / August. Of course Geezer didn't plan to lose to Louth. I think he will try to do the same again this year but switch to more ball work and match fitness rather than strenght sooner before the first round of Leinster next year. No doubt this year that the back door was a major blessing in disguise for most teams.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where and how to improve for 2011   Where and how to improve for 2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where and how to improve for 2011
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next