Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JD interview in the Sunday Tribune

Go down 
+7
carra2323
GaaHead
TheBigFullForward
Rex
Always_White
KILL BILL
kickingking
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Empty
PostSubject: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 5:48 am

John Doyle Interview - Still the white shadow
Having gone agonisingly close to reaching the All Ireland final, a darkness has firmly descended on Kildare and John Doyle
Ewan MacKenna

The sun is shining, the Thursday weather is sweet, John Doyle is a tangled web of grey and misery. He's been like this all week but then again, that's to be expected. Of all the iconic images that came through in warm and brilliant colour last Sunday, the picture that will loiter in memory is a cold one – namely Doyle slumped to his knees, a broken man so distraught that Daniel McCartan came over and sat with him for a little while. But if you're wondering what the Down corner-back said to the Kildare captain, you won't find out here. In fact Doyle has been wondering himself because not one of the consoling words registered.

How different it might have been. Early last Sunday morning before Doyle left his home in Allenwood, he set his Sky player to record The Sunday Game Live. It wasn't out of arrogance, just hope. He did the same before the Meath quarter-final, savoured it all again when he got home and the next day, when his father called around for a cup of tea, he gave it another airing. But he hasn't once had the courage to press the play button this time. "I will some day," he sighs. "The wounds are still raw but maybe some night when I'm sitting at home on my own and there's nothing on, I might take a look and see the missed chances and the square ball and the shot that hit the bar because I haven't seen a single replay of any of it. And right now I don't want to."

In an era of muscular and manufactured Kildare footballers, Doyle is different. He's sitting in a Naas hotel with the cut of a jockey – the sharp, gaunt edges slumped deep into a chair as if he's fallen off the horse one time too many. He tries to remain engaging as the locals commiserate. "Everywhere you go you know it's going to be the same conversation. It might seem a bad thing to say and it's not a death but there are similarities. You are in mourning and at some stage you'll look back and say there were positives. But right now it's impossible to see beyond the fact we were beaten. It feels like a death. It really does."

As he claws his way through the twisted metal, he says the worst part was that there had been no illness before this passing. After the Louth loss in June, all Kildare needed was to push harder and Doyle even found himself one day in Carton House kicking balls with Ronan O'Gara to see if there was any way he could improve. He did. The team did. Even those surrounding the team did. In the days before the semi-final, he got a call from his wife Siobhán asking had he eaten and when he said he had had lasagne, she gave out saying that wasn't the right kind of food. It all meant that, come last Sunday, they were the momentum team. In the build up to it, he tried to stay grounded but occasionally found himself "tipping along in the car thinking maybe, just this one time, it'll be our year".

That feeling never changed no matter what went against them. When Alan Smith had a point waved wide, Doyle said it to Pat McEnaney and when he got no response, he argued his point with umpire Joe McQuillan who assured him it had tailed away. He didn't believe it but got on with it. Even when Benny Coulter took up temporary residence in the square to goal, he looked around and decided they'd get back like they've done all year. The slings and arrows would bounce right off them.

"Overall, while we didn't play to our potential, people say they were the better team but I'm not so sure. Little things just didn't go for us. That goal was one of them. I like to stay away from controversy; I am there to play football, but it's hard not to be annoyed. If I give Benny Coulter a puck on the lip, there's no problem using video evidence. But there are big calls and it seems so easy to go to a television umpire and 10 seconds would have the lot sorted. You just feel it's something obvious and it's a pity because sometimes the GAA are a bit slow with change. Little things leave a sour taste to it all. But I try and stay away because
it's not going to change anything."

And so easily, it could have been the case that he wouldn't have wanted to change anything. With the game coming to boil, Doyle went back on the line for Martin Clarke's late free and as it veered wide, he told goalkeeper Shane McCormack to aim the kickout for him, the leader. He won it spectacularly and as he sent the ball towards the Down goal with seconds left and two between them, "the heart was beating out of the chest". Was it a penalty? "The boys were adamant it was handled on the ground. But someone said they stopped it and started it on the television and it was still hard to see. Pat has been a great ref and decisions like that – he shouldn't have to make. Referees are just like players; they make mistakes, and in the year we live in now they shouldn't be put in that position."

A moment later Doyle found himself asking McEnaney would they have time to kick two after being awarded a free close in. "John, I can't allow any more time, you have to go for it," responded the Monaghan official and with that the ball was given the Rob Kelly, "the man with the hardest shot on the panel. I still didn't think he'd get near it but I just said to him to aim high. In fairness he hit a rasper. And the ping. I thought it was in. I was sure. Even another inch. I just don't know. I just sank to my knees, it hits you like a bus. I am not one to show emotion but I have never felt anything like it. You think of everything that has just gone; you want to do something about it and you can't.

"Suddenly it's gone. There's an emptiness. You don't know what to feel. The only thing you can say is we did get to two quarter-finals and a semi-final in three years so it's not a flash in the pan but it is a long, long way back. Maybe it's a thing when you get older and you realise perhaps it won't be next year. Maybe it'll be never. When I started we won a Leinster in the first year, played in an All Ireland semi-final, and there were great players there. But we had to wait 10 years to get back. All we can do is dust ourselves down, and go at it again I suppose. There's always the dream that eventually the day will come. But next year Tyrone will be back, Kerry will be back, Cork will be back."

But crucially, at 32, Doyle will be back ("I'm not finished. I'll be back fighting the cause again"). He also reckons Dermot Earley will be back ("He's only six months older than me and will be there again too"). And Kieran McGeeney needs to be back. "It's unbelievably important, it's vital. I've been in dressing rooms with brilliant managers but Kieran is the best I have ever been involved with. He is so passionate and so honest. He has to stay for us to develop and if he doesn't, I cannot overstate the disaster it would be."

These last few years Doyle has found himself getting his hands on All Ireland final tickets, going to Croke Park, having a few beers with teammates and enjoying the day out. But not this time. Even as top scorer in the championship and a probable first-time All Star, it'll be too much because "we've been on the wrong side of too many hard luck stories, and the moral victories, too many of them. That's something that doesn't lie easy with you and it makes you think maybe we'll never get there."

And if Kildare don't, for all his brilliance, the lasting image of Doyle will sadly be the one you see on this page.

emackenna@tribune.ie

September 5, 2010
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:06 am

God thats gut wrenching, great piece, some hopeful signs for the big 3 returning also, but if ever you wanted someone to win something John Doyle is the one, I hope they make him captain again, intreresting in how high esteem he hold Kieran.

I plan to avoid all sports news and GAA items the week before the All Ireland, I still believe we were robbed
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 am

Brilliant interview and we thought we felt bad. Great to hear that he will be back next year and also probably Dermot. Also interesting to hear how high they hold Geezer.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:22 am

Bloody hell, that is some talk straight from the heart. I can feel the pain just reading it, it just adds to the heartbreak.

I love the little things he done like the rest of us, from setting the sky plus before the game and re watching the Meath game many times to day allowing yourself a little day dream about maybe lifting the big one. Then refusing to watch the Down game.

I am delighted he will go again in fact I'm made up about it. His opinion about Geezer is what everybody knew in that without his presence we are and not to put to fine a point on it F*ucked.

Thanks Johnny you are a legend in your own time and you'll just go hell for leather again next year and we as supporters will be right there with you. This time though we'll be bringing silverware home.
Back to top Go down
TheBigFullForward
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:40 am

I was just thinking today when listening to the Rainbow tribute on KFM how lucky we are to have 3 players like Rainbow, Doyle and Earley in the squad.

All 3 at one stage or another been the best in the country in their respective positions but more than that, they are 3 absolute and utter gentlemen. You seriously couldn't meet 3 nicer guys in any walk of life and to be able to maintain that while still having the winning instinct and footballing ability that they do is amazing.

There is no doubt that we'll be telling our kids and grandkids stories about watching the 3 of them play. We have some very talented younger players on the squad but they have to go a long way before they can say that they are at the level of Rainbow, JD and Dermot and I'm sure they would admit that too.

It would be a terrible pity for Johnny and Dermot if they had to follow Rainbow into retirement without an All-Ireland medal
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 am

As Henry Shefflin just said on the Sunday Game: that's Sport..... It could very likely be the case that they may never get the medal. Hopefully Johnny will be recognised as an All-Star....

An absolute gentleman.... To think how emotionally wrecked he was and to think he still gave an interview immediately after the game, full of passion and drive to continue....
Back to top Go down
TheBigFullForward
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 am

That piece of fielding at the end of the Down game was just outstanding and would have been remembered forever had we managed to pull that game out of the fire
Back to top Go down
carra2323
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Reading this line got me thinking

we've been on the wrong side of too many hard luck stories

Does anyone ever remember Kildare winning any game in controversialy, seriously we never seem to be on the right end of decisions.

Good to hear that Johnny and Dermot will be giving it another year, they are something else. Here's hoping that we win at least some silverware next year and maybe just maybe it's the big one we all want.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm

carra2323 wrote:

Does anyone ever remember Kildare winning any game in controversialy, seriously we never seem to be on the right end of decisions.

Good to hear that Johnny and Dermot will be giving it another year, they are something else. Here's hoping that we win at least some silverware next year and maybe just maybe it's the big one we all want.

Yeh back in 93 when Martin Lynch ran 10 yards in nought point one seconds against wicklow, we were 10 points down at one stage I think? and somehow managed to claw victory from the jaws of defeat.
And no I'm not as old as you think still in my early forties, only just!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

The bit where JD told shorty to aim the kickout at him at the end and Johnny then goes all Air Jordan and pulls it down from the clouds.

I think thats incredible especially in teh desperate situation we were in.

Shows the mental strength and belief in the man.
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

God, that makes for heartbreaking reading, one week on and I still feel heartbroken, my father finally watched the semi last night, but I couldnt bring myself to do it, too hard,
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
The bit where JD told shorty to aim the kickout at him at the end and Johnny then goes all Air Jordan and pulls it down from the clouds.

I think thats incredible especially in teh desperate situation we were in.

Shows the mental strength and belief in the man.

That is amazing - I read Benny Tierney a couple of weeks ago and he said Geezer used to say the exact same thing and what's important, do the exact same thing i.e. actually catch it
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 am

In a time when conmen, divers, and peole with one dimensional personalities such as Drogba, Terry, Cole, Rooney etc are clearing over 100 grand a week John Doyle is such a great sportsman with his integrity intact
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 am

carra2323 wrote:

'98 semi-final. Kerry had a Denis O'Dwyer goal disallowed during the second half. To be honest, it looked a perfectly legitimate goal but Páidí Ó Sé in fairness to him, didn't go whinging after the game and admitted that he felt the better team had won.
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 am

Well said Kill Bill, I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JD interview in the Sunday Tribune   JD interview in the Sunday Tribune Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JD interview in the Sunday Tribune
Page 1 of 1