Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another person not A Fan Geezer

Go down 
+17
pedrobob
Big Full Back
FearBan
doubleagent
steviegenius
jim
Sam1928
abl
ElGuerrouj
walsheman
Loads of Pints
Rex
overthebar
Lily8
Derfil
Stonecold
sillycow
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

Another person not A Fan Geezer Empty
PostSubject: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 am

McGeeney feels heat from Divilly

Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney
08 March 2011

Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney has been rebuked by former Galway All-Ireland winner and current NUI Maynooth manager John Divilly.

Divilly was speaking after some of his Maynooth players were asked to attend training with McGeeney's Kildare senior panel last Saturday - having played for the college in the Sigerson Cup on Thursday and Friday.

And the criticism for the Lilywhites manager was heightened by praise for two other inter-county bosses who opted against whipping college players back into action in the wake of the third-level competition.

With player burn-out having become a major issue once again in the early months of 2011, Divilly's comments are sure to strike a chord throughout the GAA.

Quoted in the Irish Examiner, he said, "Kieran McGeeney seems to forget that he won a couple of Sigerson Cups with Queens. It's pure irony he doesn't think the competition is that important any more.

"It's stupid not to give the lads a breather. In fairness to Justin McNulty in Laois, he gave all the boys the week off last week, whereas the Kildare lads had to go in on Saturday morning after two games in two days.

"Why couldn't they have been given a break as well? [Dublin U21 manager] Jim Gavin was excellent as well. He was on the phone asking when his players were training and what they were doing. Once the communication lines are open you can have no complaints. Like-minded intelligent managers will work with you. They don't want to squeeze every drop of blood out of players."

Last edited by sillycow on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:06 am

It looks like geezer is more of a dicator than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 am

Whats your agenda chickenlicken???
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 am

as a major player in the gpa, i though geezer would be all about player welfare?????
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 am

Good man McGeeney. Show them all who's boss. It's all about commitment. That's why we'll go further than Laois and god knows why the dub u21 boss was on the phone considering they're not even in the championship anymore.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:30 am

I'm with sillycow on this one. That's madness not giving them at least one day off. What difference is it going to make if they aren't at one training session? I know Shane Connolly is on the NUI Maynooth team but is there any other senior players on it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 am

Firstly there actually wasn't a training session on Saturday.
The Junior team played the Seniors in a challenge game.
Absolute f*cking bullshit and who is John Divilly anyways? Or should I say who does he think he is?
He's not even from Kildare, why would it concern him what the Kildare county players are doing?
He should concentrate on managing the big fish that is Rathvilly and his bit on the side Maynooth and let McGeeney prepare Kildare excellently like he has for the last 3 years for the championship.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am

connolly was dropped from the goals for the donegal game because he could'nt train with county panel on 2 nights they were doing weights, he had to train with maynooth as the were preparing for sigerson cup semi final.......... scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 am

That is also bullshit over the bar.

The 1/4 Final of the Sigerson was on the 3rd of March.
The Semi Final was on the 4th of March.
The final was on the 5th of March.

So he had 24 hours to prepare for the Semi Final of the Sigerson. Not 2 days.

Also the Donegal game took place on the 27th?? Your dates and excuses dont add up?!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 am

John Divilly, a blight on the white Jersey. He should know his role and importance or lack off in Kildare which is to keep his nose out of business he has no part in.

Only now do I see it, not a thing from Sillycow for months then in the week we are playing Laois he/she/it is stirring the pot. Can't believe I never spotted it before, a Queen undercover if there ever was one.

Sad to see supposed Kildare men take joy in slagging people who have put so much effort into their County over the last few years. In fact it's a disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 am

Ah lads in fairness he has a point, what harm is giving the lads a day off after playing 2 games in 2 days? Seriously, does whether or not these lads take part in a game/training the day after sigerson going to impinge on Kildares chances of success this summer.

Its march ffs, take off the rose tinted glasses, im a big fan of geezer like most here but no harm in giving lads (connolly and brophy i think it is) a day off. Divilly is merely supporting the players who performed very well for him in the sigerson for the last 2 years, hes hardly taking a direct swipe at kildare football or indeed mcgeeney.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 am

well said "loads of pints" and as for what "overthebar" said a good few people were saying that up in donegal last week that connolly was dropped because he missed a training session as he was training with maynooth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 am

Like-minded intelligent managers will work with you. They don't want to squeeze every drop of blood out of players.

Now I dont have a degree in English but by that statement there, it sound to me like he is taking a swipe at McGeeney. Intelligent managers being the key phrase.

LoP if your going to have a go at someone I would say at least get your facts right first.
Which is what Divilly didnt do. It wasnt a training session, it was a practice match a week before a National League game against Laois.
Should you not at the very least attend if you want to be considered for selection?
As far as I know, Connolly didnt even feature in the practice match and was only requested to be there with the rest of his panel members.
Its is also his first year with the panel.
Whats wrong with that. No one else from the panel really featured in the latter stages of the Sigerson, Rob Kelly was injured.

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:26 am

oh damm the goalie wasnt given a day off,he wud have been just standing in goals anyway,suppose doin that and getting the ball from behind the goals wud burn u out!!!wat a load of crap spoke on this
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 am

Jaysus, sounds like a good few lads have an un-natural disliking for John Divilly. Fair enough he mightn't have given all star displays when he played for Kildare but the way some of ye are goin on, U'd swear he rode ur daughter! Like "loads of pints" said, Divvo is just looking out for his players and in a time when player burn out is an issue, who can blame him. Whether he has anything to do with Kildare football or not is irrelevant. Also two sigerson semi finals two years in a row for a college with no where near the funding or pedigree of some other colleges is nothing to be sniffed at so I wudn't go slagging his managerial ability either. As far as I can see, none of the posters on this thread are giving out about Geezer (as we all agree he has done a great job) so think ye are gettin riled up at ppl over nothing
Back to top Go down
abl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am

Just as a matter of interest is this a Kildare or laois website because it certainly looking like one that the pissies would have.This type of bullshit is what we laughed at laois for years for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 am

Think Divvo rilled up people ElGuerrouj with his swipe at Geezer.
Fionn rob played Sigerson quarters and semi for UCD.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

meant to say preparing for sigerson cup not semi final there fionn, it still hard for a player to train with college team mates and also train with the senior panel on the same night, surely some agreement can be put in place with both managers that sigerson cup get priority at this time of the year. i'm sure mcgeeny had to juggle colleges football, county football and club football in his time, but then again he left his own club in the lurch for the bright lights and greener pastures of dublin club football, maybe thats why he cant take in the club loyalty of players in kildare.... just a thought maybe i'm way of the mark but i feel that is one of the main problems with mcgeeny and as on other threads on this forum it seems to be causing serious hassle for him and county board with club fixtures and so on.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

abl wrote:
Just as a matter of interest is this a Kildare or laois website because it certainly looking like one that the pissies would have.This type of bullshit is what we laughed at laois for years for.

I hear what you are saying. Cant believe some of the shite being thrown around the last few weeks at McGeeney, Ashe, The County Board and certain players etc. We are an awful shower in this county.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Overthebar.........that pure sh*te ......club and county has always beeing a promlem because you can't serve two masters it was a problem 10 years ago ,5 years ago, last year and it will be a problem next year. It was a problem before Geezer and it will be a problem long after Geezer is gone and thats a fact. Coming up with bull about Geezer leaving his own club in the lurch and not understanding club loyality because he transfered to a club in dublin is a silly statment. The reason he left his club in Armagh is something you or I know nothing about.
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Rex wrote:
John Divilly, a blight on the white Jersey. He should know his role and importance or lack off in Kildare which is to keep his nose out of business he has no part in.

Only now do I see it, not a thing from Sillycow for months then in the week we are playing Laois he/she/it is stirring the pot. Can't believe I never spotted it before, a Queen undercover if there ever was one.

Sad to see supposed Kildare men take joy in slagging people who have put so much effort into their County over the last few years. In fact it's a disgrace.

good man/women Rex because i dont agree with geezer i must be from loais??? Wake up a smell the coffee geezer has no interested in dealing with any issue that might effect the kildare senior panel, his answer seems to be, Fu#ck everybody else (clubs,Vec school team, county board, colleges) geezer must understand that he only a part of the kildare gaa, and not THE KILDARE GAA.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:46 pm

slllycow i persume someone gave u this name.....lets get one thing straight Kieran McGeeney has no power in Kildare GAA because if the county board or the clubs didn't want him in the morning he would be gone ....out the door so remind me where he has all the power? and u also say he has no intrested in dealing with any issue that might effect the KIldare senior panel.....Hello.......Is that not what this is all about.....
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

[/quote]LoP if your going to have a go at someone I would say at least get your facts right first.
Which is what Divilly didnt do. It wasnt a training session, it was a practice match a week before a National League game against Laois.
Whats wrong with that. No one else from the panel really featured in the latter stages of the Sigerson, Rob Kelly was injured.[/quote]

ah come on now Fionn, where in fact have i had a go at someone, im just looking at this from a common sense point of view rather than having a swipe at mcgeeney, as ive stated im a big fan. You may devalue the Sigerson Cup a lot of people do, however i can tell you from experience that the preparation and training for this comp has got more and more intensive in recent years to the degree that the main players in the comp train/prepare like IC players anyway. If you give me a good reason why the three lads didnt deserve a few hours off ill respect you for that - i think it is pretty clear that the lads had to take part in training.

I know from previous posts that your hard on for mcgeeney is unrivalled but seriously, giving 3 lads from a panel of 30 odd a few hours off on a sat morn after playing 2 games in 2 days wouldnt be the end of the world would it???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I wasn't saying you had a go at McGeeney, I was referring to Divily having a go and that he should have his facts right.

The only reason I could see for not giving the lads time off is that we've lost the last 2 Previous League games pretty tamely at that.

We are still just about in the running for promotion and we're certainly in the running for relegation.

I would presume the sigerson lads had already been training that week with their team and playing matches and hadn't attended any county training, and in order to be in contention for selection against the Queens they had to attend on saturday.

I dont see any problem with any of that. Now maybe its just me.
Them same lads pick to play at this high level. Is that not what they need to do to compete at that level?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 pm

this is getting boring,every1 just repeating themselves!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another person not A Fan Geezer   Another person not A Fan Geezer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another person not A Fan Geezer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next