Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Kickout strategy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
clonmullin
Junior A
Junior A
clonmullin

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 am

I understand that we will practise kick outs but does anyone know to what level? Today against Meath we were getting fairly hammered in the middle but we never sought to vary our kick outs - everything was high and down the middle (a generalisation I know but you get my gist). I think this would have been a high percentage of our kick outs throughout '10 & '11.

I recorded TG4 today and the sub Dublin goalie started. He had (a) the ability and (b) the confidence to hit 4 short kick outs in the first 10 minutes. Cluxton was very good at this as well - it's obviously something drilled into the panel as all the backs were alive to the possibility. Does the Kildare training include kick out strategy? I assume it must as every other facet of the game seems covered - thus do we just not have the keepers who can carry it out effectively? Or have we been spoilt with Earley Down through the years and felt that we would generally win the thumps down the middle thus didn't need to invest in a Plan B??
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 am

have to agree with your point here.If you bring this back to the all-ireland and when Flynn got injured there was no plan b on the kickouts.we did not try short kickouts or long kickouts to areas were players can run on to a free ball. To do this kickout strategy properly you have to work on it in training just as much as any other part of the game, and looking at kildare playing i dont think they work on it at all.I think if the management brought in someone that knows how to implement this it would improve us again.if you think back to the all-ireland the only one clean ball that was got was when Jonny Doyle rose to the clouds near the end,and if the keeper and outfield players had a strategy that everyplayer knows where ball is going to be placed from kickouts we probably would have won because we would have more of the ball from play. Just a taught....
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Playing short kick outs depends alot on the team you are playing. If the opposition forwards are marking the defenders like they should be then a short kickout is not possible. Short kickouts only work if the defender is free and against good teams this does not happen very often.

I would rather work on wining the breaking ball.
Morgan Flats played 7-8 mins yesterday and won 3 breaking balls in that time. Leaper is another player who wins his share and getting these players back will help us in getting on top in midfield.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star
Sam1928

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 am

The lack of variety in our kickouts leads me to thinking its a definate strategy to go long down the middle each and every time.

Maybe Geezer is playing the percentages game.
Working it out from the back with short kick outs is a high risk option especially in tight grounds.

Id love to see the stat breakdown of kickouts won and lost over the last two years or so.
If we were consistently losing the breakdowns then Geezer is far too smart a manager to persist with it.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 am

short kickouts dont have to be 20 yarders. if you look back at when ciaran whealen and shane ryan were in the middle for dublin. shane ryan won far more of these kickouts than whealen. they were put out to each wing on the 45 into a mass area where players had being dragged from and it was left for ryan to run into. studied it on several occasions and to be honest thought it extremely clever. if a forward does not follow his man he runs the risk of his man gettin it short and so therefore this is how this large area of space is created. then its back to basics. if you have the ball you have the winning of the game in your hands. if you dont its damage limitation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kickout strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickout strategy   Kickout strategy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickout strategy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: