Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share
 

 Indo Article

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

Posts : 613
Join date : 2010-07-15
Location : on the fence...

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Anybody read Colm Keys article in todays Indo? Sums up perfectly the the lengths at which McGeeney and this squad are taken to seek success.

Never knew about the security on the gate at hawkfield, would of loved to see the reaction of the lads getting turned away!! only right imo, what divine right have people got to be moaning about when he was obviously trying to keep the game plan from getting leaked out (which it subsequently did anyway)

Reference too to what is being talked a lot about here as regards the club championship and squabbles with county board - at the end of the day McGeeney doesnt give a shite about all this, its peripheral to the ultimate goal they have set and as Keys indicated, whether you agree with his metthods or not, Geezer has laid the foundations for future Kildare teams to challenge on a consistent basis for the foreseeable future anyway.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 pm

It is a very good article alright.It is already being disucssed in another thread, but i'll give my bit here anyways.

No one has a divine right to watch the team train. This was a training match against Armagh, not an official match one where you pay on the gate to view.

If they want to prepare behind closed doors, then so be it. Everyone else should concentrate on getting to Croker to support them on Sunday.

Another aspect is where Keys is suggesting that players do not communicate with local media enough, or engage with supporters enough.

To be fair these lads give their all to Kildare GAA. The gym and complex they built in the K-Club will be there for years to come for future GAA teams.

The Kildare Juniors even use it.

Its very disappointing to see the local Media such as The Nationalist shooting down one of our own and then to see Colm Keys write a fantastic article and give the true facts to show us how dedicated and committed these group of players and management are.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-07-04

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Over the last two seasons, they have taken jiu-jitsu -- a mix between martial arts and wrestling -- and kickboxing classes. Last November, McGeeney himself received his Blue Belt in jiu-jitsu in the presence of all his players.

Yessss we are going to ninja Sam Maguire........... Kildare new change strip???



Indo Article Ninja.jpg

Good article
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-10-13

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 am

Im not a fan of geezer for the very reason that were outlined in the paper.

1. its totally uncalled for to stop any loyal kildare fans, including young children the chance to watching there hero's up close training. its does nothing to promotion and development of football in the county .

2. I have said it on this forum before that these players are overtraining (6,7,8 times a week) i was told there was no way they are training this much well what can ye say now.
Long term these players will be burnout and stop playing at a much younger age (injuries etc).

3. this thing about not moving the weights out of the k club to hawfield because "they" the county footballer paid of them and not the county board, joke......... we the supporters paid for them by buying tickets etc...
imo, geezer is a bully, he is bullying the county board, clubs, and now stopping supporters/children from watching friendly matches and training. This man needs people (county board,clubs) to stand up to him and say enough is a enough..

peter white from moorefield did, moorefield club did, and they are the best senior club in the county may be we all should take lead from this.

after all this i will be the first man in croke park on sunday shouting for kildare, i have ever missed a champ game in 2o years.

i just dont like where we are going under this management. its not good for the clubs, and for grassroots development.. its getting more and more like professional sports (denying access to pitches, players, training 7-9 times a week).


Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2553
Join date : 2010-01-31

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 am

The article was written by Christy O'Connor, the man who won book of the year for writing about his club. He also wrote a brilliant book about hurling goalkeepers. He would be one of the absolute best out there.

As for the behind-closed-doors training. That was certainly happening in Kildare under previous managements, It's not a McGeeney phenomenon. You'll have to blame him for something else.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-07-04

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:44 am

Ogie wrote:
As for the behind-closed-doors training. That was certainly happening in Kildare under previous managements, It's not a McGeeney phenomenon. You'll have to blame him for something else.

People who supported Kildare 20 years would know that..........................
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
Intercounty
Intercounty
kildarecat

Posts : 469
Join date : 2010-07-09

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 am

Maybe sillycow the reason that training is done behind closed doors is to keep players focused, hundreds of Kildare supporters swarming around at training sessions would surely be a distraction, don't you think?.
Its only a Leinster quarter final we're not exactly preparing for the final, maybe if we make it to the Leinster final, a casual kick around can be arranged where the public and kids can shake hands with the players and grab a few autographs if they so wish?.

But if as you say is true? that these players are training 7-9 times a week, well that is not on, even the highest paid professionals don't even come close to that sort of ordeal?.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am

It's not totally uncalled for to stop anyone from watching you train or play a training match.
Are some people genuinely that retarded to think that because we support them and but tickets for raffles and fun raisers that we some own this team or part of it and that when we see fit they have to perform for us or we should be allowed access to see them perform when we wish?!

For someone that has been following Kildare for 20 years I find it hard to accept that you don't like the direction that this team and management are going in.
By god I fucking tell you one thing sillycow I would go back to any one of the managers in the past 20 years and I include micko in that also.

Do you honestly think sillycow that these lads are being run into the ground 7 or 8 times a week?!
I mean seriously. Does anyone on here even think that?
You really are living up to your username. Just because a paper prints thatthey train 7 or 8 times a week doesn't mean it actually happens. For an absolute fact they do not train 7 or 8 times a week.

Each and every one of those lads went out and fundraised so that they could fund their own gym.
They are the lads that went with thirdhand out, pleaded with people to part with money to help support them. They spent months doing it. I know because I seen them do it. I seen them trying to sell fight night tickets and fashion show tickets. I seen them trying to arrange it. They put in the work.
Yeah sure, I contributed a tenner here and there, does that mean I own a dumbbell or a chin up bar? No, it means I supported the lads in their goal.

I hate wankers like u sillycow, in fact I despise them. I despise people who think because they pay a tenner into Conleths every other week that they have special rights.
I'm sorry to break it to u son but u don't.

I'm sureyou will b supporting Kildare on Sunday , and if they fail you'll b the first on here Sunday evening or Monday morning twisting the knife in McGeeney and sowing it into several players because that's the kind of parasite you are.



Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-01-05

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:14 pm

I agree 100% with fionn. Great post.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

Posts : 506
Join date : 2010-06-30
Location : saltee - north kildare

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Sillycow yo said and I qoute

2. I have said it on this forum before that these players are overtraining (6,7,8 times a week) i was told there was no way they are training this much well what can ye say now.
Long term these players will be burnout and stop playing at a much younger age (injuries etc).

This is not true if you had read the article they actually mix up the training it isn’t bad to train 8 times a week on the contrary it is extremely good for you to mix cardio , weights and football gives your body a rest and keeps the optimum fitness levels high. These lads are the fittest Kildare team i HAVE SEEN and i am following them 35years. I train 6 times a week and I’m over 40 and do not feel burn out . Think back to the Micko era when we were like greyhounds we got ran over by a few teams this training been carried out is good its different and also sharpens the body and mind . Professional teams train up to 12 - 14 times a week so no where near that level - FACT.

Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-01-31

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Well said Fionn and Bob. I couldn't agree more with what you say. I wouldn't swap Geezer for any manager in the country. He's brought the set up to a whole new level. For me Kildare always had good players. But good players alone wasn't enough and fair play to Geezer for having the balls and talent to spot exactly what was required and put a plan in place to change all that.

His legacy when the time comes in the distant future will be a great one.
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-02-03

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Great article, I was unlucky enough to call one of the nights when the sessions were closed and to be fair to lad on the gate he explained that i could call back any other night which i did and really enjoyed, What might be useful if sessions were to be closed that they could be let know through the likes of here or Kildare website etc. On reflection i could have attended any of the other 80 odd session that are open to the public. Do think the standard of younger players coming through is also benefiting the team i can only Imagen that Geezer is having a big say and help in this area also with underage development squads. Now we know there will be no club championship lets all enjoy the football and get behind Geezer and Team.
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-10-13

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:34 pm

this is my views u dont have to agree with them but there no need to get personal, fionn.

Geezer is only worried about one thing the senior team , and he is not interested in the wider kildare gaa community,and one area that is suffering big time since he took over is club football. he is being allowed destroy club football, . stopping the club champ to being run over the summer months and the county players have never played less with there clubs under any other manager.

and that the end of the day we have still won nothing, two good runs the back door.



Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 pm

sillycow, Geezeer has kildare playing until August, every year previous since 2003 we were gone by start of july... thats why club champ is being delayed. that would be the case regardless of who was managing. Because we are in leinster we have 4 games there if we get too a final, that eats up the weekends while a kilkenny, or a galway or a kerry may only have 2, and one may be against a lightweight team.
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-10-13

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 pm

how come dublin are in the middle of all there adult championships so????

this is just off there website look........


Senior Football Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballyboden St Endas St Marys S O Toole Park 10/06/2011 18:45 Senan Finucane R. 2 Losers Section
Kilmacud Crokes Thomas Davis O Toole Park 10/06/2011 20:15 Noel Cocoman R. 2 Winners Section
Junior Football A Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballinteer St Johns St Monicas Marley Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Castleknock Clontarf Somerton Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Craobh Chiarain Innisfails Clonshaugh 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Cuala Round Towers C Hyde Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Garda Kilmacud Crokes Westmanstown 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Garristown St Vincents Garristown 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Man O War Naomh Olaf Man O War 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Na Fianna Parnells St Mobhi Road 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
O Tooles St Finians N Blunden Drive 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Raheny St Judes St Annes Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Templeogue SS Russell Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Whitehall Colmcilles Wanderers Cloghran 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football B Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballymun Kickhams St Vincents Pairc Ciceam 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Bank of Ireland Silver Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Lucan Sarsfields St Finians S 12th Lock 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Robert Emmets Ballyboden St Endas Green Trees Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Annes Trinity Gaels Bohernabreena 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Starlights Russell Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St James Gaels Ballinteer St Johns Iveagh Grounds 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Marks St Maurs McGee Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Thomas Davis St Sylvesters Kiltipper Road 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football C Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballyboden St Endas Craobh Chiarain Oldcourt 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Clontarf Portobello St Annes Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Erins Isle St Josephs OCB Finglas 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Good Counsel St Sylvesters Galtymore Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Naomh Fionnbarra Silver Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Liffey Gaels Naomh Barrog Liffey Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Lucan Sarsfields St Brigids 12th Lock 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Parnells Whitehall Colmcilles Belcamp Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Round Towers C Ranelagh Gaels Community Centre 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Stars of Erin St Peregrines Glencullen 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Colmcilles Raheny Balheary 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St James Gaels Na Fianna Iveagh Grounds 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Templeogue SS Fingallians Dolphin Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Thomas Davis St Brendans Kiltipper Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football D Championship Group 1
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Beann Eadair St Brendans Pairc Ui Ruairc 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Fingal Ravens Liffey Gaels Rolestown 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC Prelim Round
Naomh Barrog Cuala Pairc Barrog 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Ranelagh Gaels Robert Emmets Bushy Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Annes Crumlin Bohernabreena 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Maurs Ballinteer St Johns Rush 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Peregrines Ballyboughal Blakestown 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football D Championship Group 2
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Erin Go Bragh Round Towers L N/A 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Innisfails St Monicas Balgriffin 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Clontarf Silver Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Na Fianna Castleknock St Mobhi Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
O Tooles St Patricks D Blunden Drive 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Ballyboden St Endas Russell Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Oliver Plunketts ER Ballyfermot De Salle Martin Savage Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Vincents St Finians N Pairc Na Uinsionn 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football E Championship Group 1
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
AIB Geraldine Morans DCU St Claires 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Francis Gaels Cabinteely St Kevins Killians Granville Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football E Championship Group 2
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Croi Ro Naofa Tyrellstown Killinarden Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 pm

We have a round of fixtures for next weekend but they are called off...because clubs wanted access to junior players for the week! cant blame geezer for that one, although id say he is delighted by the decision.
Back to top Go down
sean boylan
Junior A
Junior A


Posts : 36
Join date : 2010-10-20

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

I said it before il say it again.. I dont care what Geezer does as long as he brings back silverware.. And at the moment he is doing everything but pulling on that jersey for this team.. Fair play to him.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 am

sillycow wrote:
this is my views u dont have to agree with them but there no need to get personal, fionn.

Geezer is only worried about one thing the senior team , and he is not interested in the wider kildare gaa community,and one area that is suffering big time since he took over is club football. he is being allowed destroy club football, . stopping the club champ to being run over the summer months and the county players have never played less with there clubs under any other manager.

and that the end of the day we have still won nothing, two good runs the back door.




That is my opinion on your view sillycow, no need to take it personal.
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-10-13

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:10 am

fionnmccool wrote:
It's not totally uncalled for to stop anyone from watching you train or play a training match.
Are some people genuinely that retarded to think that because we support them and but tickets for raffles and fun raisers that we some own this team or part of it and that when we see fit they have to perform for us or we should be allowed access to see them perform when we wish?!

For someone that has been following Kildare for 20 years I find it hard to accept that you don't like the direction that this team and management are going in.
By god I fucking tell you one thing sillycow I would go back to any one of the managers in the past 20 years and I include micko in that also.

Do you honestly think sillycow that these lads are being run into the ground 7 or 8 times a week?!
I mean seriously. Does anyone on here even think that?
You really are living up to your username. Just because a paper prints thatthey train 7 or 8 times a week doesn't mean it actually happens. For an absolute fact they do not train 7 or 8 times a week.

Each and every one of those lads went out and fundraised so that they could fund their own gym.
They are the lads that went with thirdhand out, pleaded with people to part with money to help support them. They spent months doing it. I know because I seen them do it. I seen them trying to sell fight night tickets and fashion show tickets. I seen them trying to arrange it. They put in the work.
Yeah sure, I contributed a tenner here and there, does that mean I own a dumbbell or a chin up bar? No, it means I supported the lads in their goal.

I hate wankers like u sillycow, in fact I despise them. I despise people who think because they pay a tenner into Conleths every other week that they have special rights.
I'm sorry to break it to u son but u don't.

I'm sureyou will b supporting Kildare on Sunday , and if they fail you'll b the first on here Sunday evening or Monday morning twisting the knife in McGeeney and sowing it into several players because that's the kind of parasite you are.




you are the one that has made it personal, and to be fair, i think the people have said a lot less on this forum and have been in trouble. so we will see what admin thinks about this..
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 368
Join date : 2010-02-02

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 am

Unbelieveable that we still have 'supporters' like this. No doubt if things don't go right on Sunday that we'll have these woodworms coming out on Monday morning blowing on about how players are being overtrained etc. Frankly I don't think we need so called supporters like this. Seems to me like some people just like to have a moan or whinge no matter what.

I have my doubts about Sillycow. I'm thinking you are an imposter or just a plain oul WUM. The reason being that it actually not believable that someone could come on here claiming to be a Kildare fan yet do your best to undermine the players and management at every available opportunity.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 604
Join date : 2010-01-31
Age : 134

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 am

Square Ball wrote:
Great article, I was unlucky enough to call one of the nights when the sessions were closed and to be fair to lad on the gate he explained that i could call back any other night which i did and really enjoyed, What might be useful if sessions were to be closed that they could be let know through the likes of here or Kildare website etc. On reflection i could have attended any of the other 80 odd session that are open to the public. Do think the standard of younger players coming through is also benefiting the team i can only Imagen that Geezer is having a big say and help in this area also with underage development squads. Now we know there will be no club championship lets all enjoy the football and get behind Geezer and Team.


Ah jaysus, now I'm am as big a Kildare fan as onyone on here, but to dissmiss all the hard work that a lot football people do on this county and attribute to one man is ridicleous in the extreme, Square ball your comment regarding young players is a mile off the mark, there devlopment squads at u14, 15,16,17 and minor have approx 5 mentors who prepare them with a view that they are not just ready to play at their age level but as many off them as possible are ready made for senior intercounty when their time comes. I can assure you Geezer has no interest and plays no part in this, this began under Syl Merrins, McGeeney just happens to be the man in charge as these players start to come through.

From a club point of view I am begining to worry that the price we are paying in our quest for Sam is too much for OUR clubs to bear
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-10-13

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 am

hawker i ever once undermined the players, but i dont agree with the management and the effect its having on the wider gaa communtiy in kildare.
Back to top Go down
Square Ball
Intermediate
Intermediate


Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-02-03

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Sorry ballyboy was not taking away from the good work done by development squad mentors as some of these people are from my club and I see the commitment they give just taught Geezer was involved with structures,From a club point of view think if club players and managers supporters club officials just knew what was happening, see on another thread here that a decision will be made about championship today how can a club prepare in one week at least the junior clubs know they are playing. ALL I ask of county board officers let people know whats happening
Back to top Go down
jnrwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate
jnrwhite

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-07-26
Location : Canada

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:29 am

sillycow wrote:
how come dublin are in the middle of all there adult championships so????

this is just off there website look........


Senior Football Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballyboden St Endas St Marys S O Toole Park 10/06/2011 18:45 Senan Finucane R. 2 Losers Section
Kilmacud Crokes Thomas Davis O Toole Park 10/06/2011 20:15 Noel Cocoman R. 2 Winners Section
Junior Football A Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballinteer St Johns St Monicas Marley Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Castleknock Clontarf Somerton Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Craobh Chiarain Innisfails Clonshaugh 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Cuala Round Towers C Hyde Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Garda Kilmacud Crokes Westmanstown 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Garristown St Vincents Garristown 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Man O War Naomh Olaf Man O War 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Na Fianna Parnells St Mobhi Road 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
O Tooles St Finians N Blunden Drive 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Raheny St Judes St Annes Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Templeogue SS Russell Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Whitehall Colmcilles Wanderers Cloghran 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football B Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballymun Kickhams St Vincents Pairc Ciceam 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Bank of Ireland Silver Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Lucan Sarsfields St Finians S 12th Lock 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Robert Emmets Ballyboden St Endas Green Trees Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Annes Trinity Gaels Bohernabreena 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Starlights Russell Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St James Gaels Ballinteer St Johns Iveagh Grounds 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Marks St Maurs McGee Park 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Thomas Davis St Sylvesters Kiltipper Road 14/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football C Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Ballyboden St Endas Craobh Chiarain Oldcourt 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Clontarf Portobello St Annes Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Erins Isle St Josephs OCB Finglas 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Good Counsel St Sylvesters Galtymore Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Naomh Fionnbarra Silver Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Liffey Gaels Naomh Barrog Liffey Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Lucan Sarsfields St Brigids 12th Lock 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Parnells Whitehall Colmcilles Belcamp Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Round Towers C Ranelagh Gaels Community Centre 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Stars of Erin St Peregrines Glencullen 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Colmcilles Raheny Balheary 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St James Gaels Na Fianna Iveagh Grounds 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Templeogue SS Fingallians Dolphin Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Thomas Davis St Brendans Kiltipper Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football D Championship Group 1
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Beann Eadair St Brendans Pairc Ui Ruairc 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Fingal Ravens Liffey Gaels Rolestown 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC Prelim Round
Naomh Barrog Cuala Pairc Barrog 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Ranelagh Gaels Robert Emmets Bushy Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Annes Crumlin Bohernabreena 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Maurs Ballinteer St Johns Rush 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Peregrines Ballyboughal Blakestown 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football D Championship Group 2
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Erin Go Bragh Round Towers L N/A 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Innisfails St Monicas Balgriffin 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Kilmacud Crokes Clontarf Silver Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Na Fianna Castleknock St Mobhi Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
O Tooles St Patricks D Blunden Drive 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Brigids Ballyboden St Endas Russell Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Oliver Plunketts ER Ballyfermot De Salle Martin Savage Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Vincents St Finians N Pairc Na Uinsionn 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football E Championship Group 1
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
AIB Geraldine Morans DCU St Claires 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
St Francis Gaels Cabinteely St Kevins Killians Granville Road 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC
Junior Football E Championship Group 2
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Note
Croi Ro Naofa Tyrellstown Killinarden Park 16/06/2011 19:30 TBC

*"their adult championship" not "there"
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior


Posts : 252
Join date : 2010-01-31

Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/battle-for-bite-of-club-sandwich-2666708.html

were making alot of headlines lately


Battle for bite of club sandwich
The tensions between county teams and clubs are particularly intense in Kildare, writes Dermot Crowe


N OT that long ago, it was common for county teams on the rise to hail as seminal the downfall of parochialism. Johnny didn't talk to Jack because their clubs were sworn enemies. Johnny didn't pass to Jack, nor Jack to Johnny, for the same reason. Modern inter-county management eliminated those grievances and hang-ups by highlighting what they had in common. In Kildare, without an All-Ireland since 1928, it is safe to assume that club lorded over county for generations. If they had the footballers, then they never quite clicked or got it right or knew how.

Today, Kieran McGeeney's uber-modern Kildare creation approach the next hurdle on a fourth championship course with hopes high and a strong mandate from the county board and their devoted legion of supporters. But the club-county relationship still has issues to iron out. Nowadays the problem isn't getting the players to play for their county; it is trying to get them to play for their clubs. It is not a problem unique to Kildare, to be fair, but as they prepare to tackle Meath, united and en masse, there are factory floor concerns that require attention back at home.

The sudden resignation of the former board chairman Pádraig Ashe is believed to have been influenced by the strain in agreeing a suitable local fixtures plan between the parties involved -- the board, the clubs and the Kildare management, headed by McGeeney. A meeting of club chairmen attended by Ashe earlier in the year seemed to find some compromise: the clubs would relinquish a rule requiring county players to be available for at least eight league games provided the board fixed two rounds of championship before the expected summer break. Last year they played only one round before Kildare began their campaign and the next championship game didn't take place until August.

Aside from the obvious problems posed by a three to four-month gap in the local championship, the last two county champions have had only one week to prepare for the Leinster club. Once the Kildare championship resumed in 2010, there were three group games left to play and then three knock-out until completion. It meant a frantic rush to finish in time for the provincial series and diminished Kildare's prospects in that competition.

Having scheduled a round of championship games next weekend, the county board is now poised to backtrack at the county management's behest. Last weekend the draws were made for the junior, intermediate and senior ties but only the junior matches were confirmed to take place. It was announced that a meeting of the county board on Tuesday will give further details of the intermediate and senior matches. Most clubs have already made provisions based on them not going ahead.

If Kildare win today then they are in action again in the Leinster semi-final against Dublin or Laois in three weeks' time. Even if they lose they face a qualifier the same weekend. With the management team anxious that no club championship games take place between now and then, it is almost certain that the championship won't resume until August unless Kildare exit the championship before that. Some of the clubs cite as their main reservation the absence of clear communication. They find themselves having to second-guess the board's intentions.

Soon after taking over as manager of Kildare, McGeeney was asked about accommodating clubs. "Yes of course, I want people to play as much football as possible; if you want to become a better footballer you have to play football," he stated. "I will be trying to accommodate the clubs as much as possible; it is vital for players to be playing football and while I am aware of the problems I will certainly be trying to accommodate everyone, both players and clubs."

While many clubs are cognisant of McGeeney's monkish dedication to the cause and good intentions to create a tightly-knit group of players along club lines, they have misgivings about a growing imbalance between the two interests. The chairman of Eadestown, Pat Doyle, said: "I think we need strong people at the top (of administration). We need to get the balance right. End of the day the county board appoints management and we should be telling them how we feel. And there is a county charter where all of that is agreed and supposed to be signed off.

"To be honest with you, there would be a degree of unrest in respect of how the championship is being handled and how clubs are taking second place. I don't think we have got the right balance. The same situation arises in respect of the league. We had county players available for two league games, and that was under duress."

Club players in Kildare will not be without matches over the summer -- the league continues, although without county players. Trying to plan your summer as a club player, however, has become impossible. In Meath, three rounds of the championship have already been played and a fourth, irrespective of today's outcome, is pencilled in for next weekend.

Peter Whyte, the chairman of Moorefield and a candidate for the vice-chair of the Kildare County Board, is more philosophical about the fixtures squeeze. "I don't feel there will be a great issue over it. I don't anticipate a big row. The next round would be a real test and we have had some injuries to some key people and it would not help the cause having another round of the

club championship. You will definitely pick up injuries so why take the risk?

"We -- Moorefield -- have a good contingent of lads on the county team and are well aware of the commitment they are giving to the county panel and when they do come back to their clubs you are getting a better group of guys. They were outstanding when they came back last year.

"Three months without a championship game -- it's not really unusual. It's not the best for the clubs obviously but at some stage it might be good if we could sit down with all the other counties in Leinster and look at how we run the O'Byrne Cup and (national) league to facilitate the guys getting back to their clubs earlier in the year. The guys on the county team don't need any distraction."

Pat Doyle isn't too sure. "I understand where they are coming from; they see their county players as a club. I like Kieran (McGeeney). But you could get injured anywhere, I said to him (McGeeney) you could get injured in training. I don't think that it is either reasonable or fair to those who are hanging around. My own view is the 10-11-12th of June was set and at this stage with the draw having taken place those dates should also be included. For the sake of the players. You are now looking at August."

The county board chairman John McMahon said on Friday that the senior and intermediate fixtures "more than likely won't go ahead" next weekend. He said they were having informal discussions with clubs and next Tuesday's meeting would bring final confirmation of their decision. When it was put to him that this was unsatisfactory for clubs, he replied: "The decision is that they probably won't go ahead. Nothing is black and white. You set out your stall but issues will always arise."

Mick Gorman, the chairman of St Laurence's who won the championship two years ago, feels the clubs have been misled. "I would say there is a great deal of frustration with clubs not knowing what the situation is. We had a meeting for all club chairmen and the term 'set in stone' was used, that these two dates were set in stone. A number of our players are students and are going to America for the summer; we have been trying to get clarification over the last number of weeks as to what is happening. We have been unable to get it. Running any club is a lot of time and energy and effort and money and everything else, you just need to know these things.

"A club like us with four on the county panel, while we are delighted to have them and hoping Kildare do very well, it definitely does have a negative impact on the club not having them more often. There were two championship dates given; one was adhered to. Now everybody knows that the county board will decide next Tuesday night not to play the following weekend. Our difficulty is the lack of clarity -- it's just wrong. I am loathe to criticise officers of the county board but it's their function to oversee the fixtures in the county. Who is calling the shots would be a question you could ask.

"I would honestly say the great problem is the lack of clarity. We have a new chairman and a good man but we definitely haven't addressed the championship fixtures in Kildare. As a county we need to do that. It's unfair and the whole thing will dry up an-- lads putting time and effort into training and getting teams together. The whole way the clubs function will be called into question. "One of our better footballers is flying out to America tomorrow (last Thursday); he had delayed his going to America until after June 11-12 till it became very obvious that the fixtures were not going to go ahead. He would have gone two weeks ago had he known. In fairness to the lad in question, he got tired waiting. I do believe at the beginning of the year a deal was brokered. There is more to football in Kildare than the county team and we all want the county team to do well but the whole bedrock is that the clubs have games."

Sos Dowling, the former Kildare player and current manager of Allenwood, has felt the pinch first-hand. "It is frustrating for (club) management and players," he admits. "Someone told me that Meath have three rounds of championship played off. Kildare have only one. I played inter-county for 15 years and am totally behind Kildare -- I would love to see Kildare play in an All-Ireland. But you need to be fair to club players as well."

Allenwood were relegated in the league last year and had to go through most of the campaign without John Doyle. Despite the eight-match rule, they only saw him for two or three games. He has played two league games already this year but they don't expect to see him again before the league is finished.

"This is my second year at Allenwood, I won't manage a senior team again; you can't prepare a team properly, you are stopping and starting," says Dowling. "It's okay if you have big resources. But country teams who have the bare 20 . . . I just couldn't see myself trying to manage a country team. It has to be very frustrating for the players.

"I just think they will have to be a little more flexible for the clubs; it is 70-30 in favour of the county at the moment, they need to make it 60-40 . . . they had a rule for league games and that is gone. They have also added an extra game in the group stages, it has gone from three to four games in the group in the last two years."

McGeeney and his management team have had enough good results to show their work is paying dividends. If the levels of control being exercised are excessive, nobody will mind if they beat Meath this afternoon. The fever will grow. Right now, the county is king.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Indo Article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indo Article   Indo Article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Indo Article
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: