Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare

Go down 
+20
KILL BILL
hawker
flourman
Ohtoohtobe
Ogie
Admin
the big cal
BelieveToAchieve
Jimmy winning matches
Sam1928
lastline
Taibi
walsheman
kickingking
if_in_doubt
Could'nt Trap Cement
parcel
MD
ChopperDalton
armagh4sam
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 pm

I see he has left the set up, any ideas who McGeeney might recruit?
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 pm

BBC

Aidan O'Rourke has quit his role as Kieran McGeeney's assistant at Kildare after two seasons with the Lilywhites.

The former Armagh player, who won the 2002 All-Ireland title with McGeeney, is leaving the Leinster side because of the amount of travel involved.

O'Rourke had to drive a six-hour round trip to training sessions in Newbridge.

He was recently appointed as the full-time GAA Development Officer as Queen's University in Belfast and he plays club football with Dromintee.

Kildare made their All-Ireland exit this year after a dramatic 1-12 to 0-4 defeat to Donegal in the quarter-finals.
[b][i]
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Disappointing that is but we move on,once Geezer has not gone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Tony kelly could make the step up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Could'nt Trap Cement
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hear Steve Sauton is in the mix.......
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Disappointing but once it's not McGeeney leaving we should be ok, he'll be a big loss but we thought the same when Grimley left.

Wonder who'll replace him now, the improvements in the defence since he came in has been great, so I'm assuming McGeeney will be looking for somebody with a similiar background...

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Inpho_10
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Love your avatar If In Doubt.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Anthony Rainbow would be the obvious replacement
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm

kickingking wrote:
Anthony Rainbow would be the obvious replacement

I wouldn't agree kickingking. This is a real chance to freshen up things and get someone else in with different idea's and view points.
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:47 pm

While O Rourke did a good job and I thank him very much this might not be such a bad thing as Fionn says it will freshen things up.The players got some thing from Grimely then O Rourke, now its time to get someone new in who can add something we are missing.

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 am

always gonna happen when management jog arose
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:40 am

Ciaran Whelan is in the mix aswell I hear.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:42 am

maybe a more forward based coach now. oision mcconville, tony mc'entee? the tv job might be too cushy though to leave. def think it will be another outsider. seems to work alot better than insiders. maybe more repect from players.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:48 am

Taibi wrote:
Ciaran Whelan is in the mix aswell I hear.

Interesting that. One of the few crop of panellists on TV who seems to talk a bit of sense. Came accross very well on that celebrity bainisteoir yoke as well.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:03 am

lastline wrote:
def think it will be another outsider. seems to work alot better than insiders. maybe more repect from players.

That's complete nonsense. There are plenty of ex-Kildare players who could do a fine job.

People overestimate the impact of coaches anyway. For all that O'Rourke did seem to have a positive impact, he didn't dispossess or block down any opposition forwards - people should have more faith in the talent of our own players.
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:20 am

kickingking wrote:
lastline wrote:
def think it will be another outsider. seems to work alot better than insiders. maybe more repect from players.

That's complete nonsense. There are plenty of ex-Kildare players who could do a fine job.

People overestimate the impact of coaches anyway. For all that O'Rourke did seem to have a positive impact, he didn't dispossess or block down any opposition forwards - people should have more faith in the talent of our own players.

And people can underestimate them too!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 am

armagh4sam wrote:
kickingking wrote:
lastline wrote:

A4S, I wouldn't for a second wish to run down O'Rourke but there were plenty of doom-mongers on the old site when Grimley departed the Kildare scene as well and we didn't go into decline or anything like it.

For all that the current Kildare management have overseen a huge improvement in our fortunes, there seems to be an underlying opinion on here that if McGeeney was to pack it in tomorrow then Kildare would go back into the doldrums. I think that is disrespectful to the talent in the Kildare squad.

Our defence was strong this summer and O'Rourke deserves praise for that but I don't believe for a second that a former Kildare defender like Anthony Rainbow, Sos Dowling or Peter McConnon couldn't elicit a similar response from our backs.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 am

`think there a few people on this forum would fit bill for o rourke job , as for mc connon NO WAY
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:52 am

kickingking wrote:
armagh4sam wrote:
kickingking wrote:
lastline wrote:

A4S, I wouldn't for a second wish to run down O'Rourke but there were plenty of doom-mongers on the old site when Grimley departed the Kildare scene as well and we didn't go into decline or anything like it.

For all that the current Kildare management have overseen a huge improvement in our fortunes, there seems to be an underlying opinion on here that if McGeeney was to pack it in tomorrow then Kildare would go back into the doldrums. I think that is disrespectful to the talent in the Kildare squad.

Our defence was strong this summer and O'Rourke deserves praise for that but I don't believe for a second that a former Kildare defender like Anthony Rainbow, Sos Dowling or Peter McConnon couldn't elicit a similar response from our backs.

Some very good points indeed, and I'm in no way disagreeing. O'Rourke, like James McCartan, formed a really good reputation up at QUB. They were very well respected in ther ideas and carrying them out. There s certainly talented men in Kildare, eliciting a response is one thing, but making sure the implemntation is correct is another.

I have no idea of the coaching ability of the Kldare men mentioned and wouldn't pretend too. From a purely outside point of view, Rainbow is one of my favourite players ever and I'd like to see him involved to see how he fares.

Regardless of who comes in, the structures are still in place - McGeeney and Carew are doing really well and it won't be a massive change in things. What your players learned off Grimley and O'Rourke they're not going to forget at the drop of a hat.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 am

fone wrote:
`think there a few people on this forum would fit bill for o rourke job , as for mc connon NO WAY

What's wrong with McConnon?

Off the top of my head McLoughlin, Foley, Flynn, Flanagan, Lynch and Kavanagh would have won a Leinster u21 title under him in 2004. Apart from Glenn, no other Kildare manager has delivered a provincial title at minor, u21 or senior level since O'Dwyer in 2000.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 am

If memory serves me correctly, McConnon was joint manager with Padraig Nolan when the U/21's won that Leinster!

I truly hope Geezer brings in another outsider or two. The only time this county has been successful has been under Micko & Geezer's tenures.

Think local - think Crofton. Enough said...
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:28 am

FuturesWhite wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, McConnon was joint manager with Padraig Nolan when the U/21's won that Leinster!

Nolan joined him for the 2005 campaign when we lost the Leinster Final to Dublin after a replay. McConnon was on his own in 2004.
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 2:40 pm

<content removed>
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Less of the derogatory and sexist remarks big cal or you can take a break from here to cool off.

Back to top Go down
https://kildaregaa.forumotion.com
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 am

Nolan was a selector, McConnon was the manager
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare   Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next