Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

athy to dominate kildare football

Go down 
+29
all_star
murof
Loads of Pints
Kaiser Sóze
realitycheck
northernlily
Taibi
footballguru
browners84
Adam91
kickingking
tomcruise
gomearza
Botch
jj
Ogie
midfieldmaestro
lilywhites on tour
Haggisgolf
TheBigFullForward
Moorefieldbhoy
Big Full Back
Highball
clonmullin
kelf
Lily8
BelieveToAchieve
centreback
denlaw
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 am

Thanks for that all_star, I was told yesterday that he was 19.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am

Fair dues to Athy, I have enjoyed watching them over the last couple of months. They play football the way it should be plus they play it with a lack of malice. They should have no regrets about Sunday it was just not their day. They will learn a lot from that and if they all stay together and keep their hunger they'll get another crack at it before long.

To see a bunch of lets be honest kids go toe to toe with hardened campaigners was quite a sight this last while. There are some wonderful players in that team and they are a credit to their club.

I have said it before on here before but Kevin Feely has something different about him. He just has "it" but I don't really know what "it" is. But I hope he wears the white Jersey because he looks made for it. A bit of bulk and he would be a fearsome footballer.

As for the rest of The Athy lads, there are a any number that could get the call, but O'Keefe looks to me as he has the size for Intercounty. He has good hands, but what could make him a "bolter" is that he is quick and direct something we lack in the forwards.

If five of them get a call or none of them, it does not take away that they have had a magnificent year for their club and they should be all very proud of what they did and such a young age.
Back to top Go down
all_star
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 pm

murof wrote:
Thanks for that all_star, I was told yesterday that he was 19.

well he's overage for the kildare 21 panel so that'd have to make him 21 this year
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Ogie wrote:

Mulhall has definitely gone off the boil but again, that doesn't mean he's a goner. He has things to work on. If he succeeds, he has ability and will only be better on bigger grounds than Newbridge on hard ground. He wouldn't be one I'd be looking at for the seniors right now though. Two Kinihans, Feely, Dunne and Eaton for me, maybe Reynolds too. They won't all be there next summer but I'd certainly have a look at them

I wouldn't be one to disagree now Ogie, but on what bases are you including one of the Kinahans? Was he not in America for the Summer and played very little ball with Athy this year, coupled with that he injured his shoulder or collar bone the last day. He'll not make the cut with Kildare next year, he will need a year of proving himself first before we mention him for Kildare panels.

Reynolds, Dunne, Feely, Eaton are definates for me for the O'Byrne cup panel.Joe Kinahan is certainly worth a shot also.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 am

With the rules for the junior setup now changed, chere are these guys going to get football?
Theres no way Geezer is going to introduce 4 or 5 new guys who are way behind the current panel in terms of fitness, physicality etc. The junior has been a good service to the senior panel in recent years, I hope it dosent stunt the growth of the panel
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:10 am

so what are you saying Futures White? McGeeney will never introduce another new player going by what you are saying. They have to start somewhere and whilst the juniors was a good starting point the change of rules won't stop players being brought straight into Senior set up if they are good enough. Happens in all counties you will find
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 am

The training panel will be at least 40 - no problems with bringing lads in through January anyway and he'll have 35 or so right through the year.

I thought O'Keeffe was only 18. If he's 21, he should definitely have started last Sunday.

I think Brian Kinahan was very good in Leinster til he did the shoulder again. Having done it twice, he'll probably have to get it pinned now which will rule him out til the summer at least if he gets that done. But he certainly showed enough to me but I wouldn't be as knowledgeable of the scene throughout the county, so I'll defer if there are plenty better that haven't gotten the nod yet.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 am

problem is the panel at the moment is over 40. There really should be a cull of certain lads who arent adding to the panel in terms of quality, and havent been for the past few years. we all know who they are - and by the way not putting anyone down but there comes a time...

there is an abundance of underage talent waiting to come in to the panel and now more than ever with the junior set up axed is the time to do it
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 am

Loads of Pints wrote:
problem is the panel at the moment is over 40. There really should be a cull of certain lads who arent adding to the panel in terms of quality, and havent been for the past few years. we all know who they are - and by the way not putting anyone down but there comes a time...

there is an abundance of underage talent waiting to come in to the panel and now more than ever with the junior set up axed is the time to do it

Would tend to agree with your view. Without naming names there are a few who will not feature and I am sure there is nobody more well positioned than McGeeney to make the hard call.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 am

Yea O'Keeffe is 21.
It's a pity if the junior set up in Kildare is changed now but still I'm sure anyone good enough will be brought in anyway.
With all the underage success Athy have had there are surely a few that deserve a shot anyway.
Eaton and Feeley were the main ones that stood out over the last few matches I thought.
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 am

I can see the Junior Set Up staying relatively the same. I think that Senior players will still be training with them in an on going trial basis. The senior team is at a serious level of fitness and the Juniors drafted in have to get their fitness up to those levels. If a good club player is just called into training in January he'll be blown out of the water.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:04 am

The junior set-up might stay the same but half of the players won't be allowed play.... well, no player from a senior club. It's one thing bursting your arse to be part of the set-up and know there are some games coming, even if it's not with the senior, but lads aren't going to do it knowing they're not eligible to play junior. So I don't really think the set-up can stay the same.

Interesting to read what Dessie Dolan had to say about Athy, on the back of what Anthony Cunningham said.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1566
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:09 am

Im not from Athy but would love to see a Kildare team win a leinster again and an all-ireland. Moorefield were great when they won. Clane should of won 1. Sarsfields probably should of won 1.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 am

.. and Towers 2003
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry Towers fans
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 am

Vodafone will not be happy!
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:25 am

Taibi wrote:
Vodafone will not be happy!
expect a rant before 12 tonight Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: athy to dominate kildare football   athy to dominate kildare football - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

athy to dominate kildare football
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3