Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Athy V Old Leighlin

Go down 
+11
Jimmy winning matches
murof
jj
realmoore
shoutitout
gomearza
losthope
townend
if_in_doubt
Ohtoohtobe
exilelilly
15 posters
AuthorMessage
exilelilly
Junior C
Junior C

Athy V Old Leighlin Empty
PostSubject: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am

Guys as I am away due to the economic problems in Ireland I am wondering if Old Leighlin will have any chance on Sunday. They are from Carlow hardly a football strong hold. How will they contain the Athy forwards? Anyone any thoughts on the game???
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 am

I wouldn't underestimate Old Leighlin, seen them play before and a big, physically strong team with a lot of players with county experience. Having said that you would think Athy would be favourites. If they underestimate Old Leighlin they could be caught though.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:47 am

exilelilly wrote:
Guys as I am away due to the economic problems in Ireland I am wondering if Old Leighlin will have any chance on Sunday. They are from Carlow hardly a football strong hold. How will they contain the Athy forwards? Anyone any thoughts on the game???

Not coming from a footballing stronghold didn't do Éire Óg any harm back in the 90's, they won what 4 or 5 Leinster titles? Carlow football at intercounty level is arguably at a higher standard than it was then so I doubt anybody in Athy will be taking this one for granted.

Athy will be favourites but it won't be by a landslide.
Back to top Go down
townend
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:53 pm

should win this one after beating a better Edenderry side in the last round.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 pm

exilelilly I hope Athy don't have the same attitude you have or they will be beaten. Carlow have produced more competitive club sides than we have over the years, take them for granted at your peril
Back to top Go down
gomearza
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Bit harsh on Old Leighlin there.. they're more than just a big, strong team. They've some excellent, pacy forwards that will be a match for any of the Athy backs. Write them off at your peril.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:20 am

Having seen a lot of club football in Carlow over the last number of years this Old Leighin team would not have won a county title 4-5 years ago. A different ref and they may not have won one this year. They are a well drilled team that will make it hard for Athy to break them down but I do not see them putting 14 behind the ball like Edenderry. Their midfielder and leader Brennan is a serious footballer but I am hearing that he may not be playing this week as he is due to go travelling!!!!!!!
Once Athy dont take this for granted they should win by 4 or 5.
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Athy -2 @10/11 looks tasty
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Well done athy. Momentum building nicely now
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 5:13 pm

at one stage with portlaoise and st. bridgids losing it was looking like athy were getting a easier shot at winning the leinster.

Garycastle destroyed longford slashers the last day, it should be a great game.

Two week break now to the semi, so as long as athy arent out in the u-21 it will allow some of there players to rest a bit.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Well done to Athy on a good win. Played better than last week but still not to where they were playing in the run up to the county final. Thought the ref was poor today but then you would hardly expect anything better from a Meath man!!!!!!
Looks like Brian Kinahan will be gone for a few weeks which will be a huge loss and I also believe the under 21's are out on Saturday so no rest for most of the lads.

I know a lot has being said on this forum about the potential of Kevin Feely but I just have to say the high fielding the young man showed today was worth the admission fee alone. Yes he is still young and has a lot to learn but a better midfielder a have not seen in the county this year. Geezer has gone on record before in saying that if you are good enough you are old enough and with that in mind I will be shocked if Feely is not lining out for the seniors next year.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Agree with you shoutitout about Feely. He reminds me of Earley and Lynch when they were his age they way he soars to fetch a ball. Also think that Paddy Dunne is a very fine midfielder and Athy are lucky to have 2 very talented and hard working midfielders. The next day will be a huge step up without Kinahan and Foley. For the record the player I think who will make it big time for Kildare doesn't even make the first 15 and that is Danny O'Keefe.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="shoutitout" I will be shocked if Feely is not lining out for the seniors next year [/quote] bohemians fc have frist call on feely
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm

And the banks have first call on Bohs, it may not be as unlikely as it appears
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 am

ballyboy wrote:
And the banks have first call on Bohs, it may not be as unlikely as it appears

hahaha...quality!!
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Athy were a pleasure to watch yesterday. Their hunger and workrate is incredible. Along with that they support each other ALL the time, there was always someone available to lay the ball off to.

As already said Kevin Feely is a special player, along with his fielding being brilliant he has all the other skills too, and he works his socks off. In fairness there's plenty of talent throughout the team and Athy will get better and better. They have the talent, mentality and belief to win Leinster !

No pressure
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Well done to them yesterday. Not often a new winner gets a run in the Leinster Club but they are keeping the bandwagon moving.... The fact that they are playing U-21 on Sat. will be good for them as they'll keep the hunger up.... Garrycastle will be a tougher match but at this stage Newbridge seems like the new "Gearldine Park".... Keep it going lads.... Enjoying watching them.....
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Went to the match again yesterday and Athy are a very good team even at their tender age. I don't care who they come up against it will take a very good team to beat them.
As Peile said, their work rate and support play is top class, they have a midfield to match anything left and they also have that bit of special ingredient that all top teams need. they can create something from nothing and scores come from all over.

They can mix it as well, Old Leighlin were a big team who were trying to hit hard, pity for them they Athy lads were able to take it and give it back, then beat them with better footballers and pace.

Not much more can be said about Feely, he was up against a couple of fairly big lads yesterday yet dominated the air, he never stops running, his passing is accurate and he as what separates good players from excellent players and that is he always seems to have time on the ball to make his pass. It would be nice to see him a in the white in January to see how he goes.

that said, Paddy Dunne beside him does a lot of the unseen work, to be honest there three or four lads there could be given a go, Reyonlds, O' Keefe looks very good yet he can't get in the starting team.

Anyway ,well done to them they are representing the County brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Athy V Old Leighlin   Athy V Old Leighlin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Athy V Old Leighlin
Page 1 of 1