Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O Byrne cup 2012

Go down 
+68
lilyban
rgb
topcat
racer
KILL BILL
all_star
Could'nt Trap Cement
parcel
hawker
cilldara07
SeamusMurphy
TommyKeegan
Bān go Lēir
analysis
naked-lilly
browners84
browser
Stonecold
Morrissey
behind the lines
GaaHead
townend
SquareBall
ElGuerrouj
BelieveToAchieve
Lily8
nuxer
Come on the Boys in Blue
Son of Sarsfields
kelf
Breaking Balll
Athyman
tomcruise
walsheman
midfieldmaestro
Frankel
lilywhites on tour
lilysavage
oldspice
Fear An Geata
stanley
bag of white
lastline
flourman
steviegenius
lomond
jj
Jimmy winning matches
if_in_doubt
lilly-exile
Ogie
Ohtoohtobe
Derfil
carburyman
peile
Taibi
kickingking
le hit in
Rex
carra2323
bob12
overthebar
Big Full Back
tomoneillandhissisteranne
murof
Lily2016
Gaffer
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 am

is game on kfm tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 am

Lynch is back running at least, still a good bit away from match fitness though I'd guess. Great to have Kelly back, adds some serious competition for places in the full back line along with Lyons and Fitzpatrick. Donnelly was very unlucky over the last two years or so, good to see him back in the panel, serious talent and hopefully he'll get a few runs between now and the league.

Hard to know what way the team will line out tomorrow, expecting to see a few of the juniors get and the under 21's get a chance to impress. Like to see the likes of Mulhall, Eaton, Gately and Fogarty get a chance in the forward line at some stage, be interesting to see who gets the start in midfield, O'Neill, Flynn and Brophy the likely contenders at the moment, hopefully they can make it hard for Lynch and Earley to make it back into the team.

On a side note, does anybody know what the story is with Conleth's now that the capacity has been reduced? We won't see 4,000 there tomorrow but does it now mean that part of the terraces are closed off or what? Didn't notice anything at the Patricians match a few weeks back given the small crowd.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:03 am

the 4,000 capacity only championship matches only i think
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 am

fone wrote:
the 4,000 capacity only championship matches only i think

Cant see how it would matter what competition is being played. H&S issues are H&S issues no matter what and wont change surely.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
On a side note, does anybody know what the story is with Conleth's now that the capacity has been reduced? We won't see 4,000 there tomorrow but does it now mean that part of the terraces are closed off or what? Didn't notice anything at the Patricians match a few weeks back given the small crowd.

I don't think it's a case of specific parts of the ground being unsafe and needing to be cordoned off. My understanding is that it's more an issue of access - gates, lack of space underneath the stand, clearways in case of an emergency etc. There are probably major insurance issues with things like that nowadays so the maximum attendance has to be reduced. Only going to be a problem if we get drawn at home for a backdoor match in the summer.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Good win yesterday against average oppostion.

I will open the debate by putting out this questions surely we could have tried a few of the newer members of the panel, for example Dunne, Brophy, Lawlor or Crowe to see if they are up to the required standard. No disrespect to Roli, Padraig O.Neill, Brian Flanagan etc but surely the managment team know how good they are at this stage??
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 pm

lomond wrote:
I will open the debate by putting out this questions surely we could have tried a few of the newer members of the panel, for example Dunne, Brophy, Lawlor or Crowe to see if they are up to the required standard. No disrespect to Roli, Padraig O.Neill, Brian Flanagan etc but surely the managment team know how good they are at this stage??

The team was rotated during the O'Byrne Cup last year so presumably it'll be a similar story this time round. There will probably be a raft of changes for next weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

lomond wrote:
Good win yesterday against average oppostion.

With Tyrone in Croker just a few weeks time, it would be no harm getting a settled team whilst also trying new faces.

People seem to forget also whilst the team yesterday seemed quiet strong it was almost a completely different back line to the one that started against Donegal last year.

P.Kelly Fitzpatrick Ollie Lyons
Flanagan Chalky. E. Flats

Still to come back into the back line is Foley, McGrillen, Bolton, Andrew Mac, M.Flats. It's almost a completely new back line. The lads who started yesterday in the backline I'm sure feel they are worth their chance too.

In the forwards we had Conway coming back in, Fionn Dowling , Smith all not regulars either.

Johnny D, Jimmers to slot back in there.

You have to keep the balance right and also give lads much need game time to get them match fitness. I thought team selection yesterday was spot On. Goes to show our strength in depth at the moment.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Fair point re the strenght in depth in the panel at the moment. I accept your points re backs and forwards

Surely we could have tried someone else midfield instead of Roli?? The man has given us great service over the years but against better teams he struggles in midfield and with the doubts about Dermot and Hugh then surely either Brophy or Dunne could have been picked to partner Flynn in the middle yesterday to see how they get on??
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Is mac dew back,as i heard he had left the panel,
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Agree with you fionn,the strength we have will stand to us.We are now seeing the work that has been put in over the last 4 years
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

He was upstair in the offices with Bolton and Dermot so dont he has left the panel
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Was not at the game yesterday i see Eoghan o Flats started in the half back line how did he do? Cant see him staying there as he is one of our regular score getters in the forwards but its good to see lads being tried in different positions. Overall a good win for the first day out.
Back to top Go down
carra2323
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 am

Overall a decent performance. It's all about getting back into it now and getting fitness levels up for the Tyrone game. Nice to see Kelly, Donnelly & conway back. We'd around 9 or ten from the team that started against Donegal still to come back. So strength of squad is probably at the highest it's ever been.

The u21's played Laois in a challenge match yesterday so there might of been a few who might figure later in year on that panel. Like fogarty, Hurley and a few of the athy lads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:25 am

U21's lost by a point to Laois yesterday. I'm not sure what kind of team they had out, however Laois are not good at this grade and have had poor minors for the last number of years.

There were lads on here talking of Leinsters for this bunch of players.

I really hope this is not a sign of things to come for the u21's.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 am

Wouldn't read too much into that Fionn / they played out a hard fought 5 point victory over Cork on Friday night over 4*20 minute periods in dreadful conditions without Sean Hurley or Fionn Dowling. Some fine performances on Friday night and really were impressive 3-12 to 2-10 was final score in driving wind and rain - very good performance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 am

I suppose the same can be said for that victory over Cork, we'll not read too much into it either.

It's the first round in few months that counts.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 am

Next month
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 am

anyone know the starting team and subs used yesterday
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 am

Here's a report for starting team and subs.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1616

DIT were bad weren't they? Kildare never got out of first gear and with the team they had out, you'd have wanted them to be that comfortable - a championship contender against a Sigerson Cup also-ran.

Fionn you're spot on about the strength in depth, it was actually almost a completely new defence from the one that played against Donegal and yet when I looked at the team I thought, this is a very strong team for this time of year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eoghan Flatts was at wing-back all year if he makes a fist of it. You'll score as much from there as you will from the half-forward line given the roles in teh modern game, where the wing-forward is often behind the wing-back. In fact look at Mikey - he has scored infinitely more as a half-back than a half-forward, and Eoghan got two points, one from play yesterday. Very early days yet but I remember thinking there's no way in the world Mikey Conway will be half-back for the league not to mind the championship when that was tried in the OBC three years ago and it proved a masterstroke.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am

Ogie wrote:
Very early days yet but I remember thinking there's no way in the world Mikey Conway will be half-back for the league not to mind the championship when that was tried in the OBC three years ago and it proved a masterstroke.

I don't really follow this last bit Ogie... do you mean there's no way he won't be half-back?
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Very early days yet but I remember thinking there's no way in the world Mikey Conway will be half-back for the league not to mind the championship when that was tried in the OBC three years ago and it proved a masterstroke.

I don't really follow this last bit Ogie... do you mean there's no way he won't be half-back?

I think he means it's possible Eoin Flats will be wing back come the championhip as it was equally improbable 3 years ago that Mikey Conway was converted into a half back.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 am

bag of white wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Ogie wrote:

I think he means it's possible Eoin Flats will be wing back come the championhip as it was equally improbable 3 years ago that Mikey Conway was converted into a half back.

That's exactly what I meant BOW
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 am

Oh right. I dunno, I remember Mikey being switched to half-back against Cork in 2008 and it was the key ingredient in our come-back that day. I'd prefer to see him there, though I take your point about half-forwards being very deep in the modern game.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 am

I would too O2, but - and I'm only guessing here - but since Mikey's been back, he hasn't been put in that position once, it's been at centre-forward, so I'm thinking there might be a feeling that centre-forward would be less taxing and testing on Mikey's knee, he might cover just quiet the same of ground as he would at wing-back. Eoghan would have the engine, knows about tackling and the workrate because the half-forwards do that anyway. My concern is that he wouldn't have the same range of vision or passing as Mikey, but then no-one in the squad does.
But I think it's obvious that Kildare have missed that from deep in the pocket and are looking to find someone who might be able to do it. I'm not saying Flatts is the man, I'm only saying that I thought the Conway thing was mad and that was a sensation, so you'd never know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O Byrne cup 2012
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next