Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marketing the GAA

Go down 
+4
lilywhites on tour
White Bridge
Highball
Flamingo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 am

Lads

just one thing I have to hand to the Dubs ever since Vodafone have come on board is that they are getting them serious exposure and increasing revenue with great innovative ideas.

The Spring Series make the league matches an event. They have a great deal with the Herald to give them great exposure and insights into the camp.
They also have a great web presence and use the facebook page, etc to promote things like the DubHub with FM104.

The thing is I notice every good idea seems to come from sponsors or PR companies that the sponsors have brought in.

Honestly I'd like to know wtf the GAA commercial and marketing spend their days at.

Leading on from that I think we in Kildare should be doing a lot more to look into promoting Kildare GAA as a brand and thus get in some much-needed revenue.

First up I accept the Dubs have the population, the big multi-national sponsor but that doesnt mean Kildare GAA can't have a much greater presence on social media.
We should be firing out merchandise, etc. Like the only thing they tried was those Geezer's on Fire t-shirts. I dont even know what that means.

We have a big population and after Dublin we get arguably the second highest amount of exposure with the Indo and the Herald.

I don't know lads, just what do ye think. Could we not really make more hay while the sun shines?

Just wondering if the forum crew could make suggestions or come up with some new ideas.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 pm

I know its only a small thing but it always amazes me how people in Newbridge have no idea about upcoming league/championship games in Conleths park. Its one of the most central grounds in the country but you could be strolling up to a game and until you actually get into the grounds, you would have no idea that anything was happening.

I always thought that some form of sign outside xtravision/stationery store highlighting "upcoming events" would be a good idea. There is a sign on the dual carriage way into the town highlighting when the next curragh race day is. Nothing similar from the GAA highlighting upcoming games in our county pitch. Only something small but could make a difference.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:54 am

bricktamland wrote:
I know its only a small thing but it always amazes me how people in Newbridge have no idea about upcoming league/championship games in Conleths park. Its one of the most central grounds in the country but you could be strolling up to a game and until you actually get into the grounds, you would have no idea that anything was happening.

I always thought that some form of sign outside xtravision/stationery store highlighting "upcoming events" would be a good idea. There is a sign on the dual carriage way into the town highlighting when the next curragh race day is. Nothing similar from the GAA highlighting upcoming games in our county pitch. Only something small but could make a difference.

That's a very good point.........after the Offaly game I went back up to the Whitewater to meet Mrs. White Bridge and on the way in I was chatting your man who sells the donuts in the tiny little van outside the entrance - he asked me was there something on in the town with the crowd!!
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 9:04 am

Not a bad idea! Sure youd hear that all over the county, people not even realising that kildare were playing on a particluar day, and some of these people are gaa club members!
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 3:01 am

This is why I remark on another thread , Kildare like many counties should try and get a additional main sponser , thats not to say Tegral aren't doing a good job , and like Flamingo said , maybe a media source should be approached , somebody who are willing to promote Kildare 24/7 - 365 , and not just on championship days when kildare are doing well , nationalist/leinster leader come to mind , there are enough telephone internet providers who could be approched.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 pm

To be fair there is progress being made and it should be acknowledged. The County shop in Whitewater, The Club Kildare texting of info which is great, the facebook page which is very good also with regular updates. We get great coverage in the leader and nationalist too.

Is yer man selling the doughnuts outside the whitewater even from Kildare!!!!

If you have any sort of interest in GAA at all you'd know when Kildare are playing. The joe soap on the street or fairweather fan wont be interested in O'Byrne cup in January.

Unless theres budgets for marketing you cant expect volunteers to magic up great campaigns. The dubs have huge budgets thanks to their sponsorships so its very hard to compare us with them.

The GAA in HQ need to do an awful lot more and get creative.

Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 am

and no coverage on Kfm of course lads....

The problem is promotion of GAA in Kildare is taken for granted. It is EXPECTED of the local media, rather than working in partnership, etc. No other sport expects coverage the way the GAA does. All the soccer you see in the Leinster Leader, is provided by the League secretary. He supplies the reports and results to Kfm too.

Until they tap into a proper marketing team or realise the worth of having someone do it properly, it won't get any better.

BUT, when clubs can't even supply or bother to send results to the County PRO, why would you be bothered marketing the product. Because, it's not only about the County either.....

Oh and I'm not looking for a major slap on the back for Kfm's coverage here, just the same respect shown to the Leader/Nationalist etc....
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 am

oh yeah Sam I agree and as I said the Dubs are like a powerhouse thanks to Vodafone so I would not expect the KE set-up to be able to get to that level, but still like if Kfm and one of the papers were 'official partners' or with eircom now an official GAA partner surely they could run county-specific blogs and resources.

Everyone on here knows the Kildare scene but where the Dubs are doing so well now is that young families and so on are making their family outings to Croker under the lights and then the kids want to keep going. Chatting a lad from Plunketts who's mate was always trying to get his kids to go, no joy next thing last year Jedward are on so the girls were asking to go. Then they kept going as a family all year.

Now as I keep saying the Dubs are the pinnacle but up in Croker you have full-time marketing, commercial and media departments who should be providing each county with stargtegies in my opinion. Honestly I don't know what they do for 40 hours a week when most of the initiative comes from the sponors own PR side of things.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 am

Flamingo states " but up in Croker you have full-time marketing, commercial and media departments who should be providing each county with stargtegies"

I would be surprised if they have not done so every year for the last 10/15 years.
I agree with those who say GAA have to get off comfortable ass..es and compete with the Michael Casey's etc but a lot depends on the County & Club PRO's !!!!

How many of the 44+ Club PRO's use the Club Notes facility on Kildare & Hogan Stand websites and in the papers !!!

Yea, Croke Park might do better, but so should those who take out the PR roles locally.

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:06 am

I know they call in the PRO's for a little workshop thing every year but they should produce actual plans of action and help to run them in each county.
As for club PRO's it's often an AGM after thought. Like some clubs are decent with the FB pages and websites but others are a joke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marketing the GAA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marketing the GAA   Marketing the GAA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marketing the GAA
Page 1 of 1