Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives

Go down 
+3
Frankel
Athyman
Come on the Boys in Blue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Empty
PostSubject: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 11:21 am

Some info for anyone here , looking into cardaic screening clubwise

A chara,

Healthy Hearts, Healthy Lives is a mobile heart screening service, set up by former Armagh GAA players John and Tony Mc Entee, providing cardiac screening to help prevent sudden deaths in young people who may have “Sudden Adult Death Syndrome”.

We travel to your chosen venue, we can facilitate screening on weekdays or on Saturday at a time that suits you and your members, we will try to accommodate your preference.

Attached is our information booklet, if you require hard copies of the booklet send me an address and I’ll post them on.

We have two technicians working at each screening session and as each screening takes 5-7 minutes, 20+ people can be screened in 1 hour. If you had 50-55 people to be screened then the session would last less than 3 hours. We provide at least 1 female technician, so ladies can be screened also.

We screen males and females aged from 14-35. The lower age limit is 14 years, as the child’s heart is not fully formed until age 14. If screened before this age many more tests would be listed as abnormal, causing undue further testing and increased anxiety. Our upper age limit is 35, as above this age the person is more likely to have problems due to heart disease, rather than issues associated with sudden cardiac death. ( We can screen sports people slightly over this age as long as they have no history of heart disease.)

Just to give you some concise information as follows :

Our screening programme consists of the following:

•ECG and Questionnaire @ initial screening session
•Consultant Cardiologist’s report on ECG. ( Dr McGlinchey is the Consultant Cardiologist employed and he will be adhering to (2007) ESC guidelines for screening athletes with specific reference to SCD screening.)
•Echocardiogram, should this be required. This will take place at a later date.
•Referral to appropriate medical facility, if required.
•Those requiring follow up will receive a phonecall, outlining exactly what is involved.
•Personal results letter to each individual screened and their GP if required.

The cost of this screening is €45.00 per person (which includes all of the above including an Echocardiogram, should it be required)

Each person being screened is required to complete a questionnaire and those under 16 years of age must have parental/guardian consent. I have attached a pdf of our questionnaire and these can be given to people prior to the screening event.

I will give you our requirements for holding a screening session, these are very basic, but will just give you an idea of space etc. If you have any problems with these, please let me know.

We have several small requirements in order to carry out the screening programme. We require 2 private areas(heated), which will hold 2 beds,( one area would be sufficient if it is partitioned), we will bring the beds (unfortunately we do not provide the screens). We also require some sort of a reception area, where questionnaires can be completed/checked etc. This does not need to be a large area, all that is needed here is a table and chair for someone from our company to co-ordinate the session. We have two technicians, so they will be able to screen 20 – 25 people in 1 hour. Our personnel will arrive about 20 minutes before the start of the session. As previously mentioned we have female technicians therefore ladies can be screened also.

If you have any further queries or questions please get in touch. Our website also provides more information.

You can pick a date and time that suits your members, we will try to accommodate you on your preferred date. We can be contacted via email or by telephone, details listed below.

Kind regards,

Dora O’Neill
Programme co-ordinator
Healthy Hearts Healthy Lives

Web: www.healthyheartshealthylives.com
Email: info@healthyheartshealthylives.com
Phone: +353868601808/ +447843468489
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 am

Just a Follow up on a recent breavement of the Round Towers Clondalkin Ciaran Corr and how it effects thoses close to him , We should all be weary particularily with our son's and daughters who are engaged in sport , I tried to get my club to be more aware of this issue , In fairness they went about organising a screening but the take up was very low , maybe now it will come to the fore again unfortunety ,
So I ask all here who may be involved in there clubs in some capacity to try and push for screening within your clubs, or get in touch with the County Board ,County Childrens Officer , County Medical Officer , whomever , and if clubs had people who wished to avail of screening it could be arrrange by the county board or amoung a few clubs to run a centralised accessment centre for all around the county to recieve screening , I know my club has a few who would avail of it ,even though at this point numbers are low, I hope to raise the issue again though our county delegate in our club for there next meeting

Please Read the articule below its very moving from a parents perspective !!

By Conor Feehan

Monday February 06 2012

THE agony continues for a grieving Dublin family who are mourning the loss of their footballer son after he collapsed and died during a training session last month.

The family of Ciaran Carr (20) say it could be four weeks before they know what caused his sudden death.

Ciaran, from St John's Park, in Clondalkin, died suddenly last month while training with his club, Round Towers.

He was participating in an indoor circuit training session at Moyle Park College when he suddenly fell forward and collapsed.

An only child to dad Philip and mum Gemma, it is believed he died of Sudden Adult Death syndrome.

"While a post-mortem has been carried out, it will take some time to determine what happened to Ciaran," his father told the Herald.

"We've been told that certain tests had to be done, so I suppose we just have to wait," he added. Philip said he wants to know the cause of his son's death as soon as possible.

"It's not just so that we will

know what happened to Ciaran, but if it shows anything that could be in my family or Gemma's family, then maybe our young relatives still involved in sport can be informed or tested," Philip explained.

Mum Gemma believes that Ciaran died as soon as he hit the floor during the training.

"It is of some comfort to us that everything that could be done was done, by the club and the medics," said Philip.

While arranging his funeral, Ciaran's parents asked for donations to be made to the CRY (Cardiac Risk in Young) unit at Tallaght Hospital.

The family is now in the early stages of planning a fundraising event with Round Towers that might centre around Ciaran's 21st birthday next month.

"It's still early days, but we are hoping to do a fundraiser for the CRY unit," said his dad

Ciaran was a very talented Gaelic footballer and hurler, and represented Dublin from Under 12 to Under 21 levels.

"He could kick a ball out of hands perfectly from the age of three. It was his passion," said his mother.

cfeehan@herald.ie

- Conor Feehan
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:42 am

Any take or Discussion within your clubs lads on this issue ???
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 am

Subject: Cardiac Screening
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:51:26 +0100

Further to a number of inquiries from Clubs in connection with cardiac screening.

Round Towers have been in touch to say that a company called healthy hearts would be interested in screening players from 14 years up.

In order for this to be successful we would need a minimum of 40 players to commit. The cost would be €45.00 per player. We feel that this would be a very worthwhile exercise particularly with all the issues that have arisen over the past months.

We would make Hawkfield available for the screening. Could you please let me know as soon as possible if you have players who would be interested in availing of this screening programme. If the interest is there we will be able to arrange the screening reasonably quickly.

Mise le Meas,

Caitlin Ui Neill Runaí Kildare County Board
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm

I think all clubs should take this offer up, young lads think they are invincible but they are not, one death is too many. There should be mandatory screening of all young players.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 pm

great idea and should be done by all clubs, the gaa should be subsidising the cost also i feel..
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 pm

they are doing Celbridge aswell and fair play to the club for inviting the surrounding clubs of Leixlip/Confey/Arclough etc to avail of this also.

the €45 charged is very reasonable considering how much this would cost in private healthcare. If the GAA were to subsidise all screenings of players in the 14-35 age bracket the cost would be astronomical. the €45 fee is cheaper than a game for the Playstation or if parents are footing the cost, its cheaper than a night on the beer.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I understand that if the Co. Board get enough of an uptake from clubs they may be able to negotiate a better price for the test.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 am

Its being promoted in my club at the moment, don't know what the take up will be but all players should have it done
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am

In my view player welfare comes first, irregardless of the cost.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 am

ill be mentioning in my club the next training session aswell
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 am

Mbp ye lads playing tomorrow night
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am

Athyman wrote:
Mbp ye lads playing tomorrow night
first ive heard if they are!?!who ya think we are.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives   Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cardiac Screening Info for your Clubs from healthyhearts healthylives
Page 1 of 1