Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laois in racism row

Go down 
+25
Onhisboot
Big Full Back
Stonecold
centreback
swingfly
lollypop
Rex
parcel
walsheman
TommyKeegan
stanley
Taibi
lilywhites on tour
Botch
kelf
kickingking
Ogie
BelieveToAchieve
bob12
johnsmyth
Sam1928
ChopperDalton
lillyboy
rgb
Frankel
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Laois in racism row - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 am

Who says I never played football? Clearly you haven't a notion. Indeed I've played club football outside my own county and when your accent is heard you get dogs abuse. But you know what, I wouldn't let some idiot who hasn't a notion about life outside his own hovel cost me or my team a game by reacting to words. And you are trying to tell me that a guy like McKeever who was vice-captain of Ireland isn't aware of the importance of keeping his cool as well, and he isn't aware that players will try and wind you up any way they can to get an advantage? If you think this isn't the case, then you are seriously naive.

Also, in regards to your comment, yes, I am saying anyone who says something like the below is clearly very juvenile. These are just facts.

"If I were an Armagh player and some thick Laois prick who can barely speak English called me a British Bastard etc, I'd turn him up with a box aswell. Same would apply for for anybody else, "
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 am

i think you will find i did not say that it was bta, read my posts properly and dont be attributing quotes to me that I didnt make.
Apologies TK if you have played Gaa, i was under the impression you were a journalist who used to write for the tribune. am I right in saying this?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 am

As I said earlier, verbals are around since a ball was kicked. I always found it amusing that someone would react to something that was said but it continues to be used because people do. I've managed to elicit the odd reaction myself that benefited. It's not right, but then neither is pulling a guy's jersey.

However, I just thing the British thing is dodgy because as I said earlier, what if you say it to a guy who had someone belonging to him killed, maimed or whatever because of what went on.

Having said that, you should be able to take it. But some people are more hot-headed than others. That's why it is a tool - not a desirable one - but one that is used. Lads giving out about the Kildare lads at it always made me laugh. It's very naive.

I saw Martin McHugh say if he had a pound for every time he was called a British or Orange bastard, he'd be a rich man - the funny thing is like Cassidy, the Donegal lads aren't even in Norn Iron which betrayed a lot of ignorance and would actually just make ya laugh your hole off!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:32 am

We live in The Republic of Ireland and those from th North think its great fun referring to "The Free State" and being especially obnoxious to players who are Gardai or Defence Force members.

Then they expect us to believe they are gravely insulted by references to "British"

Nonsense, just a crude attempt to get McKeever off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 am

fat full forward wrote:
i think you will find i did not say that it was bta, read my posts properly and dont be attributing quotes to me that I didnt make.
Apologies TK if you have played Gaa, i was under the impression you were a journalist who used to write for the tribune. am I right in saying this?

Never seen so much ignorance in one single post.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 5:30 am

TK you have wrote some complete bolloxology in here and in other places over the years, a lot of stuff that people don't agree with. Do you think I care what some over rated hack thinks of me? Not a fuck do
I give about you or your views.

Kelf I have a lot of family and friends over the border and it's not right to tar them all with your brush. There were families torn apart by the stuff that went down up there. People lost their lives We can't fully comprehend what that was like down here.

The Gardai are called far worse on the streets of this country every day an night of the week. Indeed they themselves aren't above abusing their power!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 am

BTA

I know very well that people in the North suffered but so to did people down here and dont forget that so called "republicans" killed more of their own than did the Brits ( army, RUC & loyalists).
Thankfully the killing mostly ended 15 years ago.

So I dont buy the poor me bit from Armagh, it was tactic and its a bad one !!!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:32 am

The statement reads:
"A meeting of representatives of Armagh and Laois County Boards took place today to discuss last Sunday's Allianz League Football game in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise.

It was agreed that allegations made by Armagh County Board in their statement do not accurately reflect what occurred in O'Moore Park.

It is acknowledged by both Boards that inappropriate verbal exchanges took place between players during the game and this will be addressed with our respective panels.

Both Laois and Armagh are committed to the playing of our games in the best possible spirit and look forward to the continuation of a keen, sporting rivalry
."

Make what you will of the statement. Nobody is coming out of it looking well. There may have been some input from Croke Park themselves somewhere.
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:45 am

remember members off my family telling me bout goin 2 a kildare nfl game in de bogside in de late 80s . dey drove into a petrol station to ask directions to de pitch and and were told not to politely dat , we dont support dat f ing fenian game here
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 pm

kelf wrote:

We live in The Republic of Ireland and those from th North think its great fun referring to "The Free State" and being especially obnoxious to players who are Gardai or Defence Force members.

Then they expect us to believe they are gravely insulted by references to "British"

Nonsense, just a crude attempt to get McKeever off.

Excuse my ignorance, and this is sort of getting away from it a bit. But where's the insult in being called a Free-Stater? And as for a Guard getting abuse... well, they not alone do they get it on the streets but they get it out on the pitch too. And they give it back too, threatening to get them banged up etc. Not to belabour the point - it has gone on forever. What's the difference between that and talking about the sexual prowess of a fella's mother, daughter, wife?

There's no doubt Croke Park had a big input in this statement. Hands have been slapped. Largely Armagh's by the looks of things. It's hard to interpret it as anything other than that they tried to pull a stroke here. But then, some Laois players have been pinpointed before for coming out with this sort of stuff. Sometimes, it's not so much what's being said that's driving you mad but who is actually saying it!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 am

I am a citizen of a Republic and the holder of its passport.

The Free Staters held British passports !!!

If you dont understand you might not be insulted but I would be. Its the same insult, Britisd or Free State !!!! So we are expected to accept is only an insult if your born north of the border????????

I think this whole attitude has a lot more to do with politics than GAA and I dont want to see the GAA being again drawn into it !!!!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
TK you have wrote some complete bolloxology in here and in other places over the years, a lot of stuff that people don't agree with. Do you think I care what some over rated hack thinks of me? Not a fuck do I give about you or your views.

Care to actually quote of have written and challenge it BTA? You don't think players are trained for abuse? You don't think they don't expect it and are naive if they get themselves sent off because of some stupid comment? Fair enough, you might 'box the head' off everyone left right and centre as you say yourself but what of the above do you actually disagree with and why?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 am

And once more for those getting into the race row, even Northern Unionists are not British. They are from the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland, therefore the latter is not part of the first. And they don't carry a British passport, they carry a UK passport.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:13 am

I must check the calendar. Not quite sure if its 1922, 1972 or 2012 in here?????
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 2:23 am

kelf wrote:

I am a citizen of a Republic and the holder of its passport.

The Free Staters held British passports !!!

If you dont understand you might not be insulted but I would be. Its the same insult, Britisd or Free State !!!! So we are expected to accept is only an insult if your born north of the border????????

I think this whole attitude has a lot more to do with politics than GAA and I dont want to see the GAA being again drawn into it !!!!

But the Free State had to come for us to be a Republic. There was no such thing as an Irish passport at the time. But I think what we're talking about here is where the line is when it comes to sledging and I don't know that there is one. I myself, would have been wary of calling GAA lads from six counties British because it would really be making a tit of myself and there was a chance that they had actually suffered at the hands of the invader. But it goes on, both ways. I'm surprised Armagh brought it out and given the way the GAA has made them row back, it looks like it was used to try get McKeever off (that's not to say it didn't happen). So by and large, it's Armagh who have come out the worst of this one.

But sledging is as ingrained in the game as football boots. As Tommy said, you've got to take it, or you've got to hit a lad a box. The latter happens a lot and officials don't cop it. Unfortunately for McKeever, he got caught. It sucks ass from his point of view but he might be more careful extracting retribution the next time!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 2:41 am

The use of the term Freestater as an insult infers that someone from outside the 6 counties is not as 'Irish' as a 'republican' from the 6 counties. Some people from the north hold the belief that they were 'sold out' by the 26 counties and the rest of the island stood idly by and washed their hands of the north during the troubles. The use of the term as an insult is as ill informed and childish as calling someone from the north British.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 am

All ye left wing supporters of PC bullplop should take a second look.
By Mckeever actually trying to use this as a means to get off suspension it shows how offended he really was, how deeply deeply offended that he would use it to get off a one match ban from the league? I think they should be ashamed of themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:42 am

johnsmyth wrote:
bullplop

What are you? 8 years of age? you can swear in here - No one will take your PS3 from you.
Back to top Go down
swingfly
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:00 am

I thought this was a Kildare GAA forum? Why do we give a toss about a squabble in a nothing of a GAA match involving two other counties. Admin close this stupid thread. The boys remind me of the Bull McCabe ranting on about the "Outsiders"
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:30 am

Kildare GAA forum and if it affects GAA in other counties, this sort of issue could affect Kildare.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 am

swingfly wrote:
I thought this was a Kildare GAA forum? Why do we give a toss about a squabble in a nothing of a GAA match involving two other counties. Admin close this stupid thread. The boys remind me of the Bull McCabe ranting on about the "Outsiders"

why dont you open a new exciting thread then and add to your 10 posts Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 am

I was called fat at a match once
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 am

You don't have to go to a county game to hear abuse.... It's rampant in club football so the whole north south thing is only the tip of the iceberg.....

Let's get back to more fruitful discussion... Smile
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:37 am

wonder what Justin McNulty makes of it all?
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 am

centreback wrote:
swingfly wrote:

why dont you open a new exciting thread then and add to your 10 posts Rolling Eyes

One two or three posts he is entitled to his opinion, we have three pages on this and a massive game ourselves against Westmeath on Sunday, I can see where he is coming from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laois in racism row   Laois in racism row - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laois in racism row
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next