Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Liam O'Neill New GAA President

Go down 
+13
Bigfullforward
Jimmy winning matches
johnsmyth
milltownmary
Ohtoohtobe
Highball
Sam1928
Rex
lillyboy
Ogie
kickingking
Come on the Boys in Blue
Taibi
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Liam O'Neill New GAA President Empty
PostSubject: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:36 am

Today was Christy Cooney's last day as GAA President, what are peoples opinions of him? What has he achieved?

And what are people expectations of Liam O'Neill?
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 am

Taibi wrote:
Today was Christy Cooney's last day as GAA President, what are peoples opinions of him? What has he achieved?

Not a great President , glad to see the back of him

And what are people expectations of Liam O'Neill?

Won't be a great President , will glad to see the back of him too , ,if you thought his last incumbent was bad , we are in for some bad days ahead

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 am

Taibi wrote:

Nothing much apart from that unsightly fence at the Railway End of Croke Park
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah hopefully it will be gotten rid of KK. Cooney certainly wasn't very popular and O'Neill seems to be even less popular.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 pm

I'd lay money O'Neill gets more done
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

we have to give him a chance i suspose, he's taking on 2 things that need sorting ie discipline and standard of match officals. if he has vision he culd do well but if just plays it safe which i suspect he will he'l achieve nothing. I wonder is it the accessors that need changing and not the refs because most refs go out to please them and whatever little pet hates they might have rather than use their own heads
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:41 pm

He started off well anyway, saying football was boring no matter what context he put it in during his opening speech on his first day in office. The headlines were set.
In what other sport would the top man who is put there to develop the sport and increase it's popularity in the face of Rugby and Soccer run down the most popular and largest money generating sport he over sees. Only in the GAA.
If he had any idea he would have put on a bravado and said we have the two best sports in the world that with a little tinkering will be set for years of success. But the GAA way is to do the opposite and focus on the worst of everything. You could almost hear the laughing in the Aviva Stadium

As the Who once said "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 am

Serious cred' there Rex for mentioning The Who.

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:30 am

So if there were three things (which were reasonably acheivable) in your term as GAA president, what would you do in order to have a lasting legacy Smile No silly suggestions..

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 am

As GAA president I propose the following

1. Amalgamate Laois and Offaly, it may make them more competitive.
2. Retain the Current Meath County Board for life.
3. Make the playing of "Macho man" by the Village people compulsory before all Dublin games
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 am

Rex wrote:
In what other sport would the top man who is put there to develop the sport and increase it's popularity in the face of Rugby and Soccer run down the most popular and largest money generating sport he over sees.
+1. Absolutely unbelievable, and absolutely untrue.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 am

1. Abolish the 4 provincial championships (open draw..seeded based on league)
2. Solve the fixture calendar once and for all (probably impossible)
3. Cap spending on intercounty teams
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 am

Scrap the current rulebook and rewrite it from scratch.

Ensure that county players fulfill a minimum amount of fixtures with their club in order to be illegible for inter-county competitions.

More encouragement and incentives for high profile ex-players to train as referees.
Back to top Go down
milltownmary
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

Liam o neill is a Hurling man to the back bone, His agenda is to improve Hurlings stance in the weaker counties and dont expect him to do a whole lot for football. As for changes Id go with
1 scrapping the provincial championship
2 play the interpros in October in croke park
3 all yellow cards to be collated and when a player recieves 3 cards he misses a match.
4 ALL Intercounty championship matches to be played at nutural venues, YES that means DUBLIN
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 7:28 pm

1. Yellow card for nonsence, ie unsporting behaviour (agree with the accumulation ban).
2. Yellow card for lying feigning injury especially in the last ten minutes, its painful to watch and its so obvious, only done by the team thats winning. eg big Joe Bergin for Galway (made the penalty even sweeter)
3. Capped pay for intercounty managers
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 am

[quote="milltownmary"]
1 scrapping the provincial championship DISAGREE
2 play the interpros in October in croke park AGREE
3 all yellow cards to be collated and when a player recieves 3 cards he misses a match. AGREE
4 ALL Intercounty championship matches to be played at nutural venues, YES that means DUBLIN WILL NOT HAPPEN
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Liam O'Neill being president of the GAA is going to be a good thing for Kildare football..he's the lucky charm for Kildare teams

....Look.....

Liam O'Neill New GAA President 580633_399316263436635_165833556784908_1266920_1608400811_n

Liam O'Neill New GAA President 0000b0e5-642
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 pm

He doesn't seem very happy in either picture

as regards changes
1/ allow an advantage rule similar to rugby, this would make life so much easier for refs

2/ reform of Provencal system, it has to happen sooner or later

3/ refs to enforce the rules re verbal abuse on and off the field
Back to top Go down
Bigfullforward
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Mr O'Neill doesn't do smiling! Even when Laois won in 2003, he didn't manage one.

I'd reserve judging him for a little while but as someone else said he's a real hurling man and I'd imagine it will be his focus to regenerate it in weaker counties.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 am

Bigfullforward wrote:
Mr O'Neill doesn't do smiling! Even when Laois won in 2003, he didn't manage one.

I'd reserve judging him for a little while but as someone else said he's a real hurling man and I'd imagine it will be his focus to regenerate it in weaker counties.

Both Cooney and Brennan were supposedly hurling men too yet it was a Kerryman who did far more to promote the game outside of its traditional strongholds than either of those two. Whilst Seán Kelly had quite a high opinion of himself he did hurling a great service with the introduction of the Ring and Rackard Cups and giving them a proper place in the calendar and national prominence by having the finals scheduled before the All Ireland semis thus ensuring live tv coverage. Now these competitions are just given lip service and played off as if they're an inconvenience. Look at the finals last Saturday played in a vast empty stadium with little tv or newspaper exposure, all so the Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp minors get their day out in Croke Park in August.

The stronger hurling counties pay lip service to hurling development but they will resist any attempt to alter the status quo - see the constant restructuring of the hurling league. Hopefully O'Neill does a better job to regenerate the game than his predecessors.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:45 am

Well he has the opportunity to show his worth when its up to him to rule on Saturday on the transfer saga.

Will he rule or hide behind an Agenda ?
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
KFSAM

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 am

I know someone that played for Ireland v Scotland in the hurling/shinty international and knew him through that and from he's told me in the past he's no fan of Kildare football in it's present form.

Don't be expecting any favours from him.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/oneill-vows-to-get-tough-after-twitter-slander-3158390.html

Damn you tweeters, damn you all I say........................... wow true colours showing now.............
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:57 am

Quote from O'Neill......

I take a very dim view of it. I am not going to do anything this time but it is something I am watching carefully ........

...Jaysus...this could be the motto for the Irish nation these days....grubby politicians, bankers, developers, Mick Wallace, Ivor Callaly...Ulster Bank (RBS), criminals getting light sentences ..etc etc etc...

Im outraged I tell ya, absolutely outraged and appalled but I wont do anything about it but might in the future....Grrrrrrrrr

Irish people just cant do strong and decisive leadership!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 am

Sam1928 wrote:
Quote from O'Neill......

I take a very dim view of it. I am not going to do anything this time but it is something I am watching carefully ........

...Jaysus...this could be the motto for the Irish nation these days....grubby politicians, bankers, developers, Mick Wallace, Ivor Callaly...Ulster Bank (RBS), criminals getting light sentences ..etc etc etc...

Im outraged I tell ya, absolutely outraged and appalled but I wont do anything about it but might in the future....Grrrrrrrrr

Irish people just cant do strong and decisive leadership!!!!!!

im sure " Inda" would have something to say about that.....

....actually, no i highly doubt he has anything to say at all as per usual Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liam O'Neill New GAA President   Liam O'Neill New GAA President Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Liam O'Neill New GAA President
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next