Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Football Discussion

Go down 
+28
ripvanwinkle
Ogie
tomcruise
overthebar
Flamingo
parcel
steviegenius
KING KILDARE
fargo
KILL BILL
lilywhites on tour
peile
murof
flourman
hawker
kildaregaa365
lastline
Taibi
centreback
Loads of Pints
KFSAM
kelf
Ohtoohtobe
kickingking
Big Full Back
Rex
Bān go Lēir
Stonecold
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

General Football Discussion Empty
PostSubject: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:12 pm

I come here to read and take part in "General Football Discussion" but lately all threads are descending into slagging matches and the decent posts are being lost in the rubbish. I usually look forward to debates on here and engaging in the discussion but come on folks..............
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Stonecold wrote:
I come here to read and take part in "General Football Discussion" but lately all threads are descending into slagging matches and the decent posts are being lost in the rubbish. I usually look forward to debates on here and engaging in the discussion but come on folks..............

here, here!! have got fed up reading some threads lately!! There is a line between debating/arguing a point, to just slagging people off.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Wicklow v Meath this Sunday. Looking forward to it as I think there could be a sting in the tail of this one. Wicklow must fancy their chances, like Longford they had a good promotion and dispatched a fancied Fermanagh side easily in the final. They still have two or three decent forwards who can do damage, the likes of Glynn, Hannon F urlong. and they have Stafford in the Middle where Meath are weakest.

Meath will be wanting to make amends for relegation but you have to look at their destruction by a Louth team who just managed to overcome Westmeath on Sunday with a last minute goal. Personally Meath are a bit like Kildare 6-7 years ago, poor set up with some very middle of the road players. Their cycle is on a Down and no doubt they will be back in the future but it may be Wiclow's time in the Sun again.

If Wicklow get ahead the pressure on the Meath players not to loose might be their undoing.

Wicklow by 2.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Should be a close one alright. As posted on another Thread, Meath beat Westmeath in a challenge two weeks ago 4-14 to 0-08 with Joe Sheridan scoring 2 goals. I know you can't read much into it but if you take Longford up to Div. 2 beating Laois down to Div. 2 how about the same for Div. 3...... I just think Meath might overcome this potential banana skin. But it will be a close call with 2 in it

Meath by 2 points.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:07 pm

That Westmeath team was B team from what I read, wouldn't read to much into that. The Louth result is a far better indication of where Meath are at. You don't escape relegation last year by the skin of their teeth then get relegated this year without being a poor team
If Kildare were in the same situation on Sunday I would be having heart palpitations at the thought of playing Wicklow. Meath are under even more pressure, a pressure which I think if things don't start well will be crushing.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

There's no doubt Meath aren't in great shape but it's hard to know where Wicklow stand too. The standard in Div 4 is wretched and I'm sure any of this year's Div 2 teams would have won it with a minimum of fuss. If Furlong is held then they tend to struggle for scores and in Kevin Reilly Meath have a man who is up to that job. Much will depend on Meath's state of mind going into it because they can't be high on confidence at the moment. An early goal or two for Wicklow would really test out their pulse but I suspect they'll have enough about them to get through it by four or five points in the end.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah Meath by about six points for me
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Hard to know which Meath team turn up. They have no mid-field and the brand of football they are being asked to play is alien to them and I don't believe they can play that brand after 1 season. Monaghan under Banty were the worst team ever to watch but they ground out low scoring results. Going for a draw game myself.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I know Meath are poor but hardly Div 4 poor.

I expect them, maybe after early struggles to win by a min 6 points
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
KFSAM

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Heard Meath beat Monaghan 1-16 to 1-15 in another challenge recently. Think if Wicklow show enough self belief they could sneak this one. Meath are very average.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Kelf, Meath are not a Div 2 side, their last two seasons prove this. Wicklow are now a Div 3 side so are better than Div 4. Still think it will be closer than people think
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:57 pm

no meath midfiedld versus a very strong wicklow midfield

Big Joe versus a weak full back line

Reilly v Furlong

think Meath will be galvinised by events off the pitch over the past few months enough to get over the line. The scoreline in Kildares first match against Wicklow last year was a bit flattering and the game was closer than it suggested. Tricky first round tie all the same

Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:54 am

Stonecold wrote:
. Monaghan under Banty were the worst team ever to watch .

did you not see donegal last year
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:45 am

Lad's don't forget a very late Ollie Lyons point was all that separated us and Meath in the league, they are not as bad as people are making out and I have no doubt they will beat Wicklow.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:24 am

Taibi wrote:
Lad's don't forget a very late Ollie Lyons point was all that separated us and Meath in the league, they are not as bad as people are making out and I have no doubt they will beat Wicklow.

good point taibi and if i remember correctly they opened us up very easy for their two goals. could have had a 3rd that night aswell. prob a big turning point in both countys season that night. going for meath by 4 points after 50 mins of nerves.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

People are writing off Meath at their peril. They've added nicely to their back room team and will be fully motivated to prove people wrong. Wicklow as we saw in Portlaoise last year are pretty limited whereas Meath could have beaten us in Navan last summer and again in the league. Can't see past Meath for this one much as I'd love to see them dumped out - still wary of us meeting them in semi.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:22 am

So remember when we use to talk about football.

I listened to the first half of the Wicklow game and I thought my prediction was coming true, a lass Wicklow could not get over the line. Meath for all their apparent fire power never really opened up Wicklow. Wicklow on the other hand had a couple of goal opportunities. Meath's full forward line still looks like a line that will never cope with the unending running of Kildare if the get through Offaly. They still have very little pace and their Midfiled will not get it even a fraction as easy against Kildare.

Kerry were poor against Tipp. The turning point was a missed free from the 14 yard line by Tipp which hit the post then Kerry went up the other end and scored. The gap should have been one but it was suddenly three and the game was lost. If Kerry play like that against Cork they will be beaten well. Somehow the sight of the red jersey will buck them up but still not enough in my eyes to beat Cork.

Didn't see any of Monaghan and Antrim but it was closer than I thought.

This week we have Louth v Dublin and Longford v Wexford.
Louth v Dublin will be over at half time so not much point speculating on that one. Longord v Wexford will be very close. Longford beat them in the Div 2 final after a Wexford come back and as much as I want him to win I think Wexford may have a little bit too much for Longford who would not be used to Croke Park.

Dublin by 8-10 Wexford by 3
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:44 am

I'd rather look at the positives if we happen to meet Meath in the semi. The one point win was early in the league and if you go through the form in the latter stages you'll see that they only scored 5 points against Tyrone and we scored 16. I believe we improved as the league went on. I don't think the game in Navan will have any bearing if we meet them in the semi. However thats for another day - I hope.

I can't see Dublin beating Louth by that much. Louth have a game behind them and Dublin spluttered in the league. I can't see any more than 5/6 points in this one. To be honest I find it very hard to call the other one. Again Longford have a game behind and have that winning feeling after a good league. Don't rule out a draw.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:02 am

My only fear facing Meath (if we both advance) would be in the old saying "even the sun shines out of a dogs arse every now and then".
We clearly have a better team than them, and as has been stated before we have improved steadily through out the league. My only fear is that statistically they have to beat us some time / hopefully it will be a few years away yet.
McGeeney has some record against Banty as managers and I expect that to continue on July 1st - if we both advance.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:21 am

Hope we meet Meath in the semi. We will be guarenteed a tough local derby game which will set us up nicely for Dublin. I have no doubt we are a far better team than them and should have beaten them out the gate in Croker last year if we hadn't kicked so many wides, 18 I think. Cant see Louth getting close to Dublin who I feel are peaking for the Leinster final. Longford will run Wexford close but I think Wexford have enough quality forwards to win this one. Dont think Kerry will be winning this year and Cork will be the team to beat in September if Colm O'Neill stays fit. Love to have Parkinson on the Sunday Game when we win a trophy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:28 am

if we get by offaly and meet meath in the semi I 100% believe that kildare are a far better outfit than meath.if kildare perform to what we all know their capable of they can beat the best of teams this year on their day. Although the meath semi will be tricky kildare in croke park will not let a leinster final spot go not this year.its all about perfrming on the day.
with lynch hopefully back to help midfield and peter kelly to strenghten the backs and then conway's spread of the ball and earley to be brought on the likes of podge fogarty then can be called on upon if needs be and you look at the panel the likes bolton,flynn,leper,eoghan and morgan flats,kavanagh,mc grillen, mick foley to mention a few.it is a strong panel lads we should have enough to give leinster a good rattle and sure who knows where it might lead after that! im not looking to far ahead one game at a time and offaly will give kildare a good contest i just feel this the year.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Had a look at the game last nite on TG4 and the Wicklow marking was none existant, the Meath forwards could do what they wanted. Plus Meath were physically stronger than Wicklow coupled with the poor attempt at tacking just blew the Wicklow boys away.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:56 pm

that said meath were lucky to get out of it. had leighton glynn not went off it may have been a diff story. Wicklow also had a good goal chance at 14-10 which may have changed the complexion a bit.

the 2 reillys were absolutely class, have to say it was a great move to put Graham reilly midfield, he is of similar ilk to MDMA for dublin. goes to show the way the role of the midfielder has evolved.

Monaghan game was good, some serious scores in it, Tommy Freeman is a serious forward.

Kerry were always going to do enough to win that game, id say they are doing serious training at the moment geared towards a long summer hence the lack of sharpness, MOS will make a big diff too, would still fancy cork in 2 weeeks time though
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Great to finally see Kildare men actually confident of beating Meath. As already said they are no great shakes and haven't been for a while. The fact that Farrell scored four points says a lot for the marking. Although Bray wasn't involved I don't think he's anywhere near the player he was three years ago. In the last four games against us I wouldn't think he has scored more than 6 points from play. Graham Reilly has scored around three points against us in last three games, don't think he scored at all against us in March.The difference between Meath and Kildare though is that no matter how the likes of Bray and Cian Ward play they will still get their places based on reputations earned years ago. They won't be looking forward to playing us no matter what they say.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm

35,000 expected this weekend for a double header in Croke Park. Can anyone give one good reason why this game was not put in Portlaoise. For far to long the Dublin footballers have got an unfair advantage. This attendance proves that all Dublin football matches before Semi final stage should be allowed play outside of Dublin.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Football Discussion   General Football Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Football Discussion
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next