Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss

Go down 
+9
midfieldmaestro
johnsmyth
Taibi
kickingking
Kildare98
Sam1928
Rex
LilyWhyte
steviegenius
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 am

There was a county board meeting a few months back where they were talking about finances I'm sure at that time the Kildare players were still due the mileage from last year and still the lads go back but I really think in the near future we are going to see a lot of problems.

Off topic Did anyone feel that €25 in last weekend was a bit of a rip off then you walk in and they look for a €5 for a programme then the Gaa turn around and say that 35 thousand turned up to me there was between 20 to 25 thousand at most there another serious problem with the Gaa.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 3:04 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
Taibi wrote:
Inter-county footballers are very well looked after and want for nothing. They incur no financial loss whatsoever, they're fed, clothed and have their travelling expenses plus the GPA grant. They don't drink for a large portion of the year (Hurlotelli excluded) and they don't smoke so if anything they're making money, albeit not a whole lot.

G'way outta that.

There's no way they're making money out of it. They get fed after training which is completely fair enough given the time they put into it,. They get a few bits of gear to wear to matches so that they look like a team, they hardly get all their clothes out of it. They get fairly meagre mileage. You make it sound like they get all their food covered all the time and all their clothes both for them. They still have to put a roof over their head, a shirt on their back and bread on their table like the rest of us.

And yeah, fair enough they get a grant. However, I doubt that the grant makes up for the lost career progression. It would be hard to see too many being able to put in any more than 40 hours a week to work. When there's overtime to be done, the inter county man has to leave to go training. Or they pick up an injury and miss loads of time in work. Or they're like Leper and take a 3 month leave of absence to concentrate on getting back to full fitness. I wonder what his pay packet looks like at the moment? Hardly making money out of it anyway.

Then as regards drinking or smoking, they're putting their lives on hold for a good chunk of the year, can't go out drinking with their mates and stuff like that. Even if they could, most of their free time is taking up with daily training sessions and recovery.

So they're not making money and they've no free time. It's a flipping huge commitment and I wouldn't knock any unemployed young fella or student going to the States and earning a few bob for a few months.

Having said all that, the fellas who stay put and are loyal to the cause have to be admired.
I was speaking from a purely financial viewpoint. Players are not left out of pocket that's for sure. A lot of inter-county players also have jobs through playing with their county so that's another perk.

I'm not suggesting players are driving to training in Bentleys. The time and commitment given is huge and has to be admired but they must enjoy it otherwise why would they bother?

@umpireonthebitch: Care to debate the point? Or are you just going to piss on other people's opinions?

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 3:31 am

Don't agree with leaving but like others said, can understand it. To be fair, players in the top counties do hugely well out of it. Someone mentioned career progression, well in some counties guys only get a career because they play football at intercounty level. The idea they only get grants and meals is silly, they get jobs, treated like royalty and so on. But sadly, that's the sort of thing that will only increase divide between the haves and the many have nots. Look at Dublin, the cars, Aer Lingus as an official airlines, Louis Copeland providing free suits and it really goes on and on and on...
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 am

Does anyone else think its time for Kildare to stop propping up the Dublin business model? What good does it do Kildare? 60000 euros is what Kildare get. Dublin get more hype more sponsorship more kickbacks from Croke park to go with multiples in underage funding.Im sure they could do fine without our contributions but its nice of us to be so helpful. It's not like we get privilages in our home away from home. Refs can't wait to stick a knife in thinking we are wealthy and upidy which we are not. Basically I think we'd be better off not supporting the dubs.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 pm

On an aside, was told by a northern county board member recently, that he saw the advertising Dublin's league games were getting and went to Croke Park looking for money to advertise his county's home games. He was told that the fund for promoting league games only applied to games in Croke Park.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

johnsmyth wrote:
Does anyone else think its time for Kildare to stop propping up the Dublin business model? What good does it do Kildare? 60000 euros is what Kildare get. Dublin get more hype more sponsorship more kickbacks from Croke park to go with multiples in underage funding.Im sure they could do fine without our contributions but its nice of us to be so helpful. It's not like we get privilages in our home away from home. Refs can't wait to stick a knife in thinking we are wealthy and upidy which we are not. Basically I think we'd be better off not supporting the dubs.

I see where your coming from regarding football but if we look at it from a purely financially viewpoint then kildare have done very well from this years deal.
Local papers recently had an article about doing up conleths to a decent stanard and it is going to cost around 10k to get it to it.It was out to tender at the time.
I'm led to believe we got around 100 000 for moving this year but even if we go with your 60 000 then we make 50k.Thats a big dent in our debt.
I think they done well.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 pm

btw if its 90k then its a master stroke.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 am

I'm pretty sure 10k is actually the capacity that st conleths will be increased to not the cost of doing it.
They would do well if you were in charge of the accounts though Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

I believe Tommy Moolick is gone stateside for the summer
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 am

johnsmyth wrote:
I'm pretty sure 10k is actually the capacity that st conleths will be increased to not the cost of doing it.

It does sound a little low alright. I remeber looking at in and thinking it was low though. Main thing was realigning the barriers.

Brendan Coffey might have the article if hes on here.Think it was the nationalist.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 am

If it was only 10 grand you'd think they'd have it done by now in preparation for possible qualifiers this year.
Did they revise the capacity up from 6 to 7 thousand after the league? I'd love to see the document that was written on. Eh yeah theres loads of room sure the place was half empty. Same in Drogheda last week. Health and safety cant be questioned though Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
coffeybrendan
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: St Conleth's   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm

kartman wrote:
johnsmyth wrote:

It does sound a little low alright. I remeber looking at in and thinking it was low though. Main thing was realigning the barriers.

Brendan Coffey might have the article if hes on here.Think it was the nationalist.

I haven't got the article to hand - it was a report from a county board meeting by Ger McNally - 10k was the capacity they were looking at increasing it to and the cost from memory was something in the region of 60-70k. Alan Dunney from the county board is the man that's driving it it seems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss   Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Players leaving a Panel after Championship loss
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2