Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Johnny Doyle retired??

Go down 
+39
Flyer
flourman
if_in_doubt
Syron88
micky murphy
paddymartin
jim
kartman
Loads of Pints
Bad News Baba
SeamusMurphy
stanley
Stonecold
Shergar
shoutitout
Sam1928
totalgaa
Cilldara_2000
shortgrass
KILL BILL
lilywhites on tour
TommyKeegan
kelf
murof
teedee
johnsmyth
Ogie
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Onhisboot
bloodsub
losthope
kildaregaa365
jimmers
OutTheGap
kickingking
Taibi
Rex
Jimmy winning matches
LillieLad
43 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Johnny Doyle retired?? Empty
PostSubject: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Any truth in the rumour following today's Westmeath game??
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:06 pm

What?? Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Yes that's what I'm hearing.

Am I surprised. No.

I wish him all the best.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:09 pm

offically johnny doyle retired family reasons
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Tommy Callaghan has confirmed it. 
Absolutely gutted to be honest. Family reasons or something else like trouble in the camp. Why go through all the preseason then retire going in to April. My concerns about the manager has increased greatly tonight.

Doubt I'll see a better Kildare player in my life. As I said gutted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Rex wrote:
Tommy Callaghan has confirmed it. 
Absolutely gutted to be honest. Family reasons or something else like trouble in the camp. Why go through all the preseason then retire going in to April. My concerns about the manager has increased greatly tonight.

Doubt I'll see a better Kildare player in my life. As I said gutted.

+1.

A sad day. An even sadder way to finish in a pathetic nothing game against pathetic opposition.

An absolute mighty man who will never be equaled .

Again a sad day for Kildare GAA. Shouldn't have ended like this.

JD deserves better.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Absolutely devastated I remember in the bad times of Crofton and we were playing Armagh in the league and Johnny scored pretty much all our points. I remember we went up to rosscommon as well and Johnny was fucking unbelievable, he didn't get worse as he got older the man improved and some year in 2010 when he got his all star, he was my hero growing up..I don't even know what to say man he's going to be missed and we wont see anyone like Johnny again Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:30 pm

One in a million.

Thank you Johnny.

Perhaps leave the vitriol for the management for another day/thread.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Thank you Johnny for all the memories.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Sad to hear the great man has retired. The best Kildare forward I have seen and never gave less than 100%.
Thanks Johnny and best of luck in the future.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 pm

One of the greats, and not just in Kildare. Got a great reception when he came on in the game today and still showed that bit of class. Hopefully he will still be involved in some capacity.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Gutted - but the man owes nothing. Time for his family to get a piece of him now.

Is there anything that happens in Kildare that isn't Jason Ryan's fault you'd wonder? Leave this thread for one of the Kildare greats.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Jesus that's an unusual way to finish up, best of luck Johnny you were all ways a gent on and off the field
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Crofter wrote:
Gutted - but the man owes nothing. Time for his family to get a piece of him now.

Is there anything that happens in Kildare that isn't Jason Ryan's fault you'd wonder? Leave this thread for one of the Kildare greats.

Well Crofter considering the timing of it I think it's fair to question the reasons behind his retirement.

As I started the topic and as it's also a discussion forum I don't think anyone can say what can or can't be discussed in any particular thread.

By all means everyone can thank JD for his great service. If others want question it who are you or Taibi to tell anyone not to.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the memories Johnny, the best I've seen wear the white shirt.

As for the timing, I don't think it's unusual. Remember he's only back on the panel about 2 months after his wife had twins over the winter. Obviously gave it a go and just couldn't give it the required commitment.
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Its been a pleasure watching Johnny play for the last 15 or so years, He is a truly great footballer, Showed the true extent of his ability when asked to play midfield, He could literally play any position, great heart, courage, commitment, honesty (too honest at times but I won't call that a fault, rather a virtue). A Kildare hero, enjoy the retirement Johnny, the right time to go imo, nothing more to give, time for the young guns to step up!
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Bizarre timing - coming on or fifteen minutes, then retiring!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 pm

A very good player, an unbelievable servant and I'd say he was some man to go out onto the field with. He wasn't making all the training from what I can gather and if Johnny can't do it 100%, he's not going to do it, is he?

I'll never forget his catch against Down in 2010. Holy Jesus that was just pure will. Kick it to me he said to Shorty. So Shorty did. And he caught it. Rob Kelly's bar-shuddering shot came from that.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Best of luck to a legend. Still showed the skill and desire, and he got a great reception from the crowd today. Hope to see him as pundit, always a gent.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Ogie that was unreal Ogie, we were so unlucky in that game pity robs shot wasn't an inch lower and Johnny was in all ireland final like he deserved, the best Kildare player I have seen
Back to top Go down
teedee
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 pm

to play so many games for club and county for so long without any serious injury is a sure sign that johnny doyle is as tough as they come and simply loves playing the game. a football genius who gave 100% every time he pulled on the jersey. i wonder did he get a call up to sky sports?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Probably wanted to finish in front of his home crowd and kept it under wraps until after the game as you'd expect from him. Delighted I was there to give him that great cheer when he came on, imagine what the decibel level would have been if we had known it was his last game.
We all know about his bravery and commitment but the rest of the country knew him for his skill and accuracy.
I often wonder if things would have been different in 98 if he was playing as that team was not renowned for its forward skills.
All the best Johnny and hope to see yourself and Dermot involved in management in the future.
Back to top Go down
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Indeed, if we'd known this afternoon....but the sun shone on him and he rattled the bar!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Legend & gentleman.......... Enjoy your Inter-County retirement Johnny..............
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Is Mickey Conway gone as well. Leper just tweeted wishing both J.D and Conway the best in their retirement or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Doyle retired??   Johnny Doyle retired?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Johnny Doyle retired??
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next