Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Donegal

Go down 
+45
Ohtoohtobe
Gaa1928
LillieLad
lilysavage
murof
steviegenius
lillyboy
Cilldara_2000
Snowwhite
Rex
Blackadder
tomoneillandhissisteranne
intheback
Highball
kelf
Kildare-Tom
flourman
White Bridge
TommyKeegan
Badger85
Stonecold
lilywhites on tour
white boy
Shergar
Liffey Likes
micky murphy
Cassanata
Flamingo
Onechance
jj
kevhog88
KILL BILL
if_in_doubt
topcat
Lanemusic
bloodsub
hawker
lomond
parcel
maccie
jimmers
Carburyhill
OutTheGap
lilly-exile
Curraghplains
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackadder
Junior A
Junior A

Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 9:52 am

Davy Burke is a Kildare man who won an all-ireland with a Kildare team at the level below senior... must be involved with the seniors... not as manager yet... but in some capacity.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Davy Burke's current role is a 7 day a week job, indeed any people involved with an adult team, let alone a senior team, will be out at least 3 nights a week and one day over the weekend and that's just training and matches not even counting physio and video analysis etc.

I would love to know how many hours a week people think these lads have to offer.

The same with people coming on here saying get Glen/Dermot/Johnny in now, again do people think these gentlemen have nothing else to do but to drop everything and take on a 7 day and 7 night role at the drop of a hat.

If anyone thinks that a club manager/selector etc can double up with a role with the Kildare team at the same time are not up to speed with the current demands of club football.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 am

I was speaking to a fella whose name gets mentioned up and down about being a Kildare manager / coach and he doubts that he will ever get involved because of the unrealistic expectations and the inevitable abuse and criticism that will come his way, and that his family will have to listen to, regardless of anything else that has occurred before he took the job when he doesn't win a Leinster or get to Super 8s regularly and then even if that happened, go further. It's not an attractive gig in that regard at all and maybe a native won't get the funds an outside man will to make it attractive.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 3:19 am

I know, we're terrible for the unrealistic expectations.

Not like we have a bigger population and more resources than Monaghan for example.

Also, is this harsh treatment the one where you dismally under-perform & still keep your job?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 am

Kerry and Dublin fans are well able to dish out abuse as Paidi O'Se and Tommy Lyons discovered. Didn't stop candidates coming forward when there was a vacancy.
I'd say CON will carry on regardless of what comes his way. He is well able to deflect criticism away from himself.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 4:41 am

Yeah – if only he took notice of criticism!
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 am

HG, have you read what Ogie wrote above? It is exactly this negative narrative that he is talking about!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
I know, we're terrible for the unrealistic expectations.

Not like we have a bigger population and more resources than Monaghan for example.

Also, is this harsh treatment the one where you dismally under-perform & still keep your job?

Not my words, those of someone who'd be a contender if interested and who you'd adore. And there were two strands - the unrealistic expectations AND the abuse - not just criticism, personal abuse, and the effect it would inevitably have on his family. I purposely left my thoughts out of it because everyone's bored of them by now and sure me, of Cork and Waterford football, am somehow desperate to patronise Kildare!!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 5:20 am

Have seen very little personal abuse on here, never heard any at game. From reading that, you'd think Kildare was Millwall.

No idea what he's on about.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 6:15 am

That's got me rightly wound up. It's weird, what personal abuse would anybody get. All you can talk about is their football results and how the team plays. In all walks of life you get criticism, football management is no different. Supporters are entitled to have an opinion. Has it come to a place where we have to hand over our money, travel far and wide in all weather and then sit on our hands while we get embarrassed through lack of effort and discipline. Or on the other hand, wollow in misery unable to have any hopes or dreams because you might have unreasonable expectations. I'm a supporter, that's all I have. It's what keeps me going. Take that away and what else is there.

The Kildare football manager carries the hopes of a County. A County mad about football, desperate for any kind of success. A fan base who have shown that if the players give everything and the manager is some one who fights for the County and players they will follow them in their thousands to all corners of the Country.
Look what a bit of backbone and pride brought out in the County with Newbridge or Nowhere and the following week in Navan.
Abuse, give me a break.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Have seen very little personal abuse on here, never heard any at game. From reading that, you'd think Kildare was Millwall.

No idea what he's on about.
And therein lies the problem HG. Millwall is professional football team where both players and management get very nicely paid. GAA is an amateur sport where a group of guys freeze their asses through rain, sleet and snow to play a game they love. They miss nights out with their mates, seeing their kids before going to bed, their wives etc. And what do they get in return, crap from supporters when they don't play as well as we would like, being called out on forums, name called on twitter and facebook, do I need to go on. I think you get the idea!
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 am

I doubt very much that the fella that Ogie met is referring to anything said on here.

But I'd very much sympathise with his POV and anyone who thinks personal abuse doesn't happen is either fooling themselves or naive beyond belief considering the morons on social media, at matches or on the street who go way over the top and get far too personal, or the vile scumbags who send hatemail (as was highlighted in the national media last year). Who needs that and why would they bother?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am

Big difference in what is said here by football people and what gets posted on social media where every nut with an agenda feels free to castigate players, management and county board and most of them never even go to matches.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 pm

Ok, here goes, I spoke a while ago with a person who was involved with the Kildare team for a period of time during the last 5 years, a very highly respected fellow, whom needless to say I don't wish to directly identify.

His biggest disappointment, other then not achieving what they wanted to achieve, was the abuse he received while on the line, particularly in St. Conleth's Park from our 'supporters'.

He told me that he has been in almost any every county ground in Ireland, on both sides of the white line, and nothing compared to the abuse he received in Newbridge.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am

I'm disappointed with the way 2019 has gone but there are people on here braying for Cian O'Neill to be sacked mid-season. They do so without thinking about whether it would be possible for us to get a decent replacement.
We came fourth in division two. That puts us 12th in Ireland. It's not what we wanted but it's not a sacking offence either, considering the players we lost. If we did get rid of O'Neill, who in their right minds would be attracted by the following proposition: "Ok, the last fella's best achievements were getting us to division one in 2018, beating the second best team in the country to make the super eights, but then we lost narrowly to Galway and Monaghan, the two All-Ireland semi-finalists, then didn't get promoted from division two this year, so we had to sack him. So that's the standard, we need you to get us to super eights and we want wins there. If not, you're gone too. Also, you'll have to do it with a weaker squad than he had. Best of luck."
People would want to wake the f*** up. The season only starts now. We were in a far worse situation when we lost to Carlow last year and we ended up having a very decent summer.
For every fringe player walking there is an Eoin Doyle and a David Hyland and a Paul Cribbin and a Kevin Feely who are working hard to improve and have shown their commitment. They've proven their resilience before and I back them to do it again. Up the Lilies.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 pm

In fairness O2 the season started on the first day of the league, you cant just dismiss the league because it didn't go well for us. I don't think many people want the manager sacked but they sure as hell want him to do a better job and take more responsibility when we play badly.
Why is he persisting with the awful slow build up with countless lateral and backward handpasses when we have players like Hyland and McCormack inside? Why does he persist with the free role he allows Doyle who seems to be everywhere except in the centre of our defense. This has been going on for too long and if he is unable to change it or his players mind set then he is a poor manager imo.
Oh and don't kid yourself Mayo were the 2nd best team in 2018, they had fallen a long way down after years of excellence. Didn't take Horan too long to get them back up again though!
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Ohtoohtobe as a lot of us have said already he lost 12 or 13 games in a row and the lowest of low he was the manager that lost to Carlow. Kildare beat a Mayo team that were on there last legs last year and needed a break see how they came back this year they also lost the 3 games in the super eight to me that was not good enough for Kildare with the talent that is there and he should of went last year. They look way off the pace this year so far and with in fighting lads walking away etc I cant see us doing much this year with this group.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 1:35 am

Those same Mayo legs just won a National League
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 2:20 am

lilysavage wrote:
Those same Mayo legs just won a National League

Not really the same tired legs as 2018. For the first time in years Mayo players had a proper break from football three months earlier than normal. There was also the small matter of a top manager taking over.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 am

Tired legs, right. What did you think of Kildare's performance that night?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 3:09 am

lilysavage wrote:
Tired legs, right. What did you think of Kildare's performance that night?
Thought they were brilliant, a level many of us thought they were capable of reaching.
What did you think of the performances against Fermanagh last year and earlier this year?
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 am

First half in particular last year was excellent in Navan - we blew them apart. Primed for Championship and injury free. Wasn't at the league game this year. Think we had a few absentees and played bit naively falling behind early on.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am

Any word on Dan and is there any collective training going on?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

LillieLad wrote:

Sure isn't it club month Shocked Question
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 am

Ogie wrote:
LillieLad wrote:

Sure isn't it club month Shocked Question

Course it is. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Donegal    Kildare v Donegal  - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Donegal
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next