Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+54
Wonderful barn
CillDara71
Onhisboot
FlourBag_1
Thelillywhites
NorthernLily89
Southern Gael
Carbury legend
Gaa1928
Cilldara_2000
OutTheGap
topcat
Taibi
moatesports
White Bridge
seamymurphy
Kildare98
murof
Caprea
lilysavage
KILL BILL
Rex
jobluts
bite the pillow
lomond
TommyKeegan
Highball
learmus
Flamingo
Cassanata
micky murphy
Curraghplains
steviegenius
jj
LillieLad
Botch
kelf
Dido
ixus
DONTPULLOUT
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
lily4fr
white boy
Liffey Likes
SamMaguire
Badger85
jimmers
walsheman
lillyboy
All down the line
Ogie
Hurlerbehindtheditch
totalgaa
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 2:03 am

Ruby, Glenn, Johnny and probably Dermot Weld...
Nuxser was more talented in my opinion but not the length of career.

Larry Stanley dont know enough to comment about
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 2:05 am

Your 1st 3 plus Johnny!
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 6:40 am

Paul Mescal x 4 !!!
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 7:42 am

Ruby and Glenn are without question for me given how he was a trailblazer in terms of being the first from these shores to bring a horse to the Melbourne Cup and win it, I would go with Dermot Weld, last but by no means least Johnny Doyle.
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 2:16 pm

Larry Tompkins, Dk weld ,pat eddery then egg man heaslip
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 12:39 am

Joe Molloy picking a Kildare selection. Sure he constantly refers to himself as a Mayo supporter. Shouldn't be anywhere near it.

In my opinion the four should be

No. 1 Glenn Ryan no explanation needed
No. 2 Paul Doyle. 3 All Ireland's and six Leinsters from our early years basically the man has won 75% of our All Ireland's and just under 50% of our Leinsters in our entire history
No. 3 John Doyle no words needed
No. 4 Ruby Walsh. I'm not into racing but appreciate what he's done.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 8:40 am

Agree with that for the most part Rex, , but surely Emma Byrne must be worth a consideration?, 134 caps for Ireland, 11 league titles with Arsenal, 10 F.A. Cups, a Champions league, the questions is who to drop from your four? also, to be fair to Joe Molloy, while he does claim some allegiance to Mayo because of his parents, he has referred many times that he is a Kildareman.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Emma Byrne, Ruby Walsh, Dermot Earley and Glen Ryan the selection . Weld the unluckiest to miss out. Fair play to Big Willie for shaking it up and getting Glen on it.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 9:41 pm

No Johnny Doyle?, he should be first, every time
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Glen the first for me. Dermot/Johnny could be argued either way. Both exceptional players.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:48 am

Emma Byrne? FFS. I’ve seen better keepers playing junior b football.

JD would be first for me every time with Glenn a close second. Don’t care for horse racing so I’m out of options.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:08 am

2 GAA players make the list in a county that’s last won an all ireland in 1928. Doesn’t say much for us as a sporting county
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:18 am

This is a gaa forum so naturally there is a bias there. However 2 players is enough imo. Ruby Walsh is the finest jump jockey that I've ever seen and deserves his place. You could make a case for Dermot Weld also. Our rugby players have won far more at the top level than our gaa lads though that's not a popular view here.
I would go for Glen, JD, Ruby and maybe Geordan Murphy who was a supremely talented athlete.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 6:44 am

I’d go Emma Byrne, Ruby, Glen Ryan, JD - much as it severely pains me to leave Dermot Earley off.

He didn’t have the longevity but Buckley in 97/98 was as good a midfielder as I’ve seen. We all know about his displays against Meath - but consider his display against the Dubs in 98. In the first half he kicked a point from play that was practically from the Red Cow roundabout.

Then in the second half, Dubs are coming at us hard - then Buckley steps up & points two monster frees. After the second one he runs back down the field giving an iconic fist pump. I was ready to kill people.

I would rank him best all-round midfielder in the game in those two seasons. Micko called him “the prince of midfielders” which is some fuckin’ accolade!
Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Are we really looking at no GAA while there's Social Distancing, and until a Vaccine is found.. Are we really looking at no GAA for Year's possibly ??.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm

seamymurphy wrote:
Are we really looking at no GAA while there's Social Distancing, and until a Vaccine is found.. Are we really looking at no GAA for Year's possibly  ??.
I think John Horan was playing for time on the Sunday Game last week when he said there would be no games while social distancing is in place.

It looks like the virus will be around until there's a vaccine but if the number of cases gets to be very low (less than 100) then maybe the risk of players picking up the virus would be low and there could be games again. Some players might want to opt out which would be understandable. When this would be is anyone's guess. I think social distancing will be recommended until a vaccine is found.

I thought Leo Varadkar was out of order saying the GAA could have an All-Ireland final in September without discussing it with the GAA first.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Martin Breheny picked Kildare best 20 players of the last 50 years in today's Indo. I think he's winding us up putting Larry Tompkins ahead of Dermot Earley!
1. Glenn Ryan
2. Johnny Doyle
3. Pat Dunney
4. Tommy Carew
5. Pat Mangan
6. Anthony Rainbow
7. Larry Tompkins
8. Niall Buckley
9. Paddy O'Donoghue
10. John Crofton
11. Dermot Earley
12. Martin Lynch
13. Mick Carolan
14. Sos Dowling
15. Ollie Crinnigan
16. Denis Dalton
17. Brian Lacey
18. Davy Dalton
19. Declan Kerrigan
20. Shea Fahy
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 8:35 am

Were Tompkins and Fahy great Kildare players? I never saw either play in white, obviously both had stellar careers for Cork.

Willie McCreery, Ken Doyle and Karl O Dwyer unlucky, none of current squad and only Dermot and Johnny from McGeeney era is interesting.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:22 pm

topcat wrote:
Were Tompkins and Fahy great Kildare players? I never saw either play in white, obviously both had stellar careers for Cork.

Willie McCreery, Ken Doyle and Karl O Dwyer unlucky, none of current squad and only Dermot and Johnny from McGeeney era is interesting.
Larry Tompkins is number 1 in the Cork list so I'd say his achievements there had a lot to do with it!

I had a look at kildaregaa365's excellent website. He made his debut for us in the 1980 league and played most games until 1985. He was our top scorer and probably our best player in an era where we did well to get to a Leinster semi-final. There's no way you could say his Kildare career was better than someone like Dermot Earley won played twice as long, won 2 All-Stars and was such a great player for us.

I thought Emmet Bolton and Willie McCreery might have got on but I'm not sure if the guy who picked the list has any great knowledge of Kildare football.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm not sure if the guy who picked the list has any great knowledge of football!
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 1:57 am

i believe jack donnelly was best kildare player for about 5 years in his time back around 1970 he was as good as johnny and a serious free taker .better than dunny ,and a host of recent names
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 5:55 am

Jack Donnelly certainly won't lessen the list.  I would put Tommy Carew in No.1, just ahead of Glen.

Lucky to have seen all the above playing in their prime.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj496BUYBFc

1998 Leinster Final posted on Official GAA YouTube channel a few days ago. Is it just me or was football way better back then?
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj496BUYBFc

1998 Leinster Final posted on Official GAA YouTube channel a few days ago. Is it just me or was football way better back then?

Watched the first half in full today (will reluctantly watch the other half tomorrow). It was dreadful stuff all round. So much aimless kick passing into forwards and the quality of handpassing was horrendous. Trevor Giles and Eddie McCormack must have kicked 6 or 7 handy points wide between them.

Buckley, Lynch, McDermott and Magee were very good. Tommy Dowd was a dirty bollox.

Second half analysis to come tomorrow. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 6:47 am

Second half wasn't much better quality wise. Lots of poor shooting and kick passing.

Lynch was outstanding, his pass into Murphy for that goal never really got the credit it deserved. Who got MOTM in that game? I genuinely don't know and can't find an answer on Google. Quinn and Graven played well too.

One thing was obvious and that was the game flowed a lot better back then, no handy frees given and none of this standing around moaning at referees which eats up the clock in todays game.

As for Meath, their goose was cooked when Giles left but you do wonder why Ollie Murphy didn't start, he looked very dangerous in the time he was on. Tommy Dowd was brutal yet played the whole game.

Finally, Ger Canning was as much as a spoofer back then as he is now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next