Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup - December/January

Go down 
+29
Big Full Back
Taibi
kelf
OutTheGap
tomoneillandhissisteranne
jj
Curraghplains
Rex
murof
Badger85
micky murphy
TheManInTheStands
KILL BILL
moatesports
Highball
seamymurphy
jimmers
bite the pillow
Flamingo
Gaa1928
flourman
bigball
Ohtoohtobe
learmus
if_in_doubt
John_R
TommyKeegan
Club fan
Fear An Geata
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 am

I see our poor city cousins took yesterday’s defeat to heart. 

https://twitter.com/unofficialgaa/status/1216269775510425600?s=21
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 8:36 am

Should know league panel within next few days
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
I see our poor city cousins took yesterday’s defeat to heart. 

https://twitter.com/unofficialgaa/status/1216269775510425600?s=21

I love the comment below it which says "The GAA should pump millions into their reserves to make sure this never happens again."
Back to top Go down
maccie
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Maynooth got lesson yesterday from an Ulster team who were well coached , tactically aware and with a definite game plan.Jack Robinson and Niall O Sullivan were only Kildare players who broke even or got better of their immediate opponents.
The size, build, speed and skill set of St Marys will make them hard to beat in Sigerson.As Taibi said you would be worried that Kildare players who won Leinster and All Ireland's who are now hitting 20-22 mark have regressed. The amount of time Maynooth players ran into trouble yesterday when hit with blanket defense at opponents 45 was scary with turnovers and subsequent Mary's breakout at speed. Maynooth lads could not accurately kick the balls,no angled run,solo efforts by individual players to break through blanket defense, fitness and movement in forward line with exception of Jack Robinson was poor. Reminded me of Kildare seniors under previous regime. Are lads spending too much time in Gyms and not enough time with ball? Surely mangers know what to expect with Ulster teams and have some sort of game plan, kick to corners, angled run from wing forwards, loop arounds, and runs from deep from midfielders or half back to disrupt a well organised defensive set up for starter. I hope Kildare seniors have something in mind as we have 3 of these teams who will set up with sweeper/blanket in NFL.(Fermanagh,Cavan, Armagh)
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 pm

I read some where yesterday where professional Rugby players are more worried about there stats or what targets they hit than playing rugby off the cuff you can be sure that is the same for most gaa teams now the ball skills are dying out and are training more to a system I suppose its the time we live in now.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 am

Hard to imagine that JOC training sessions won't involve a lot of football being played. Tomas O'Se once said that all Kerry training sessions started and ended with players kicking the ball to each other.
Would be a bit more worried about the league than I was earlier, Roscommon put up a cricket score against Leitrim yesterday. Last time they came to Conleths they scored 24 pts!
Back to top Go down
maccie
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 am

Think it more about decision making and been able to kick quickly before pressure comes on. Inside forward also have to move. Anyone read Joe Brolly on how Corofin dealt with blanket defense v Ballintubber. all forward ran to one spot and then broke back leaving defenders chasing them. at least this was original and caused confusion. they key in Corofin tactic was corner and wing back running hard to space and drifting in behind blanket defense. Kildare players go lateral across 45 with slow handpass and no set up for somebody coming at pace from different angle to break tackle and do it over and over gain with this system (ala Carlow game). Some of Maynooth effort at tackling yesterday was terrible, head high instant free and ended up in Red card for CB. Bring back Davy Burke's methods with 20's and Sash....at least he had a plan and nobody got away with the lazy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 am

I've been saying it for a while – and it's not an original opinion – but Corofin are one of the best football teams I've ever seen. The style they play with is absolutely sensational. One of the things I was really proud of with the U20 All Ireland was the flair we played with – blowing away Dublin, Kerry, Mayo with silky attacking football honestly one of the biggest highs I've had following Kildare.

You need the width playing defensive teams – but the idea of going lateral is that you then create little pockets of space to attack. Sometimes we're so paranoid about bringing the ball into contact we forget to break lines at all.

In fairness, you won't see a better dismantling of a blanket defence than what we did to Fermanagh in 2018. We played some phenomenal stuff that day – there was one move where Neil Flynn did a stepover and a chip-lift and finished the whole thing with a goal.

Obviously harder replicating that performance on a heavy pitch mid-winter but we need to use the principles of that display again. And using our brains – not just going over and back because we've been programmed to. Again we had some lovely improvised moments in Newbridge v Fermanagh 2017 so a repeat would do nicely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup - December/January   O'Byrne Cup - December/January - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup - December/January
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: