Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Former Kildare clubs

Go down 
+2
Taibi
Bigfullforward
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bigfullforward
Intermediate
Intermediate

Former Kildare clubs Empty
PostSubject: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows much about old clubs in our county that don't exist anymore?
Where was Clongorey?
Moone and Mooretown are clubs that existed as recently as the 70s.
Then in the 40s and 50s there was a team called Curragh in the senior championship. Was that an Army team?
Loads of older clubs back in the previous century. Maddenstown, Blacktrench, Kilkea, Bert, Eyrefield, Kildoon, Carrick, Foxhill are some I've seen.
Anyone know anything about these clubs and where they were?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 am

I played v Clongorey in their pitch around 1975/6, on the road to Caragh from Newbridge, a turn to the left & over the railway...…… They had their own Hall which had to be cleared by County Board when ownership was being transferred to local community....

While they had many players from Newbridge I believe Clongorey is in Caragh Parish.... Open to correction...

The leading light & County Board delegate was a Mr Walsh who later joined Sarsfields== Camillus ??.

Another snippet I learned recently is that when Ladies Football first had a Kildare team ( no official records yet found) they trained in Clongorey. That was in the seventies or eighties before the current Kildare LGFA organisation was founded in 1992...….. If there is anyone out there who can fill in the blanks ( like names of players, selectors , managers or officials) please share the info...…...
Back to top Go down
Bigfullforward
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 am

Is that out by Newbridge Golf Club kelf? I call that area Thomastown or Morristown...
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 1:19 am

Kildoon was formerly Nurney. Bert I'm pretty sure was Rheban. Maddenstown is between Kildare Town and The Curragh.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 3:21 am

Bigfullforward wrote:
Is that out by Newbridge Golf Club kelf? I call that area Thomastown or Morristown...

Yes==== near the golf club======== I believe Clongorey itself is further out around where that road & then left and in left off the Naas Rathangan road... Google Maps has "Clongorey Clubhouse" there==== May be the old GAA one or a soccer one,,
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 10:32 am

Leixlip and Celbridge had to join for a few years during the 70's for minor and u21 team. I don't know if we were under an amalgamated name. St Wolstans perhaps? Could be wrong. Back when we were considered Rural clubs!
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 12:41 am

lilywhites on tour wrote:
Leixlip and Celbridge had to join for a few years during the 70's for minor and u21 team. I don't know if we were under an amalgamated name. St Wolstans perhaps? Could be wrong. Back when we were considered Rural clubs!

St Wolstans was Straffan and Celbridge at senior level and U21. Possibly minor as well, I don't know though.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 am

The Celbridge/Leixlip teams at minor & Under 21 around 1978/9 operated under the name of one of the clubs in alternating years, So in 77 minor it was Celbridge, then in 78 it was Leixlip.. Under 21 was similar.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 am

Eoghan Corry's book on Kildare GAA is a goldmine for this type of info. When I did the Larries' club history, I read a lot about the late 19th early 20th century GAA in Kildare and the Leaders was trawled through from that same period. Around that region, according to RIC records, there were five clubs in that area from around 1890... you had Ballitore O'Tooles and Narraghmore Féach Phádraig but also Killelan, Brewel and a Brewel Independents club. Calverstown had a team known as Suffering Brothers, Kilrush

Later on there was Ballitore Young Exiles, Young Irelands of Narraghmore, Ardellis, Booleighh, Ancient Balliores.

Apart from that, outside Monasterevin, in the Ellisotwn patch you had Mountrice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Kildare clubs   Former Kildare clubs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Former Kildare clubs
Page 1 of 1