Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favourite GAA Reads

Go down 
+12
Highball
Muller
rgb
analysis
kickingking
whitetop
TheBigFullForward
bloodsub
Horsebox
Lily8
Taibi
GaaHead
16 posters
AuthorMessage
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

Favourite GAA Reads Empty
PostSubject: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am

Finally got to read the absolutely brilliant book by Michael Foley - "Kings of September" about the 1982 All-Ireland Final between Offaly & Kerry.

Was just wondering what your favourite GAA book is or what would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am

Paidi O'Se's auto-biography was a brilliant read. Also Oisin McConville's was an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:49 am

I enjoyed Tadhg Kennelly's. It's a bit different from the other ones cause it gives ya more info about the Aussie Rules and the difference between living in Oz and Ireland
Back to top Go down
Horsebox
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 5:07 am

jack o'connor's: Keys to the Kingdom was a good read, quite controversial at times and may have rubbed some people up the wrong way. But that's what made the book...
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 8:00 am

Haven't read too many GAA books, only Mickey Hartes, Oisin McConville and Jack O'Connors and found them all to be good reads. The next one I'll read will be Christy O'Connor's "The Club" which comes highly recommended to me. Apparently its written in the language of the dressing room so if your put off by swearing steer clear.

Last edited by bloodsub on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheBigFullForward
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 am

The Club is fantastic, the GAA summed up in one book.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 am

The Club is top class I would really recommend it to anyone.

Also The Gambler by Ewan McKenna, Oisin McConvilles story. Top notch also.

Always like McKenna's stuff and his dad pieces for the Nationalist
Back to top Go down
whitetop
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am

just read mickey hartes book. great read. gives a fascinating insight into a mastermind of GAA and how to overcome various obsticles on the journey of sucess.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 am

Owen McCrohan's biography of Mick O'Dwyer from about eight or nine years ago gives an excellent account of Kildare's fortunes during the nineties.
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 pm

read the club over christmas, great read, well written and very honest and open
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 pm

The Club- best GAA book I've read by a mile.

Second is Tony Griffin's autobiography.

Other good reads are both of Mickey Harte's two books, Jack O'Connor's book, the one on Limerick Hurling ('Unlimited Heartbreak'), Waterford footballers and Donal Og's book. Kings of September is also an excellent read, as is the Dublin-Kerry book by Tom Humphries.

Bottom of the pile: anything by Martin Breheny. I knew nothing more about either Micko or Cody after reading either book. Boring in the extreme...
Back to top Go down
Muller
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:13 am

Davy Fitz autobiog was a great read and gives a great insight into the change of fortunes for clare hurling and also lets people see the kind of charactor he is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 am

Lads id be a football man but the best GAA books Ive read are hurling;

Heres my top 4 in no particular order:

Knocking on Heavans door- Mickey Hartes first book. Id recommend this even before recent events but its all the more poignant now.

Last Man Standing: about the exotic animal that is the hurling goalkeeper!.

Hurling the revolution years: about the hurling scene in the 90s. Offaly stuff is hillarious

Liam Dunnes autobiograhy.

Honourable mention goes to the Mayo Book,. think it was called house of pain.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 am

why has no one mentioned mickos book?? the recent one was a great read and it was heart warming to hear how he spoke about his time with us.. also that his greatest achievement was winning that first leinster with kildare. brilliant.
Back to top Go down
town man
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:35 am

Dermot Early snr had a book out about 16- 17 years ago called the early years ...any one know how I could get my hands on a copy ?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:43 am

town man wrote:
Dermot Early snr had a book out about 16- 17 years ago called the early years ...any one know how I could get my hands on a copy ?
that be a great book to read!!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:03 am

town man wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Years-John-Scally/dp/0861214854/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295647275&sr=8-8
Back to top Go down
town man
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

cheers kickingking published in 1993 will look forward to reading it now
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:31 am

Reading Mickey Hartes book atm,sad considering the present incident. Crying or Very sad The gambler is also very interesting,Geezer mentioned heavily in it.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm

'Mein Kampf' by Eugene McGee

'My Ego' by Pat Spillane
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite GAA Reads   Favourite GAA Reads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite GAA Reads
Page 1 of 1