Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Offaly Managerless

Go down 
+4
Ogie
kelf
peile
TommyKeegan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Gerry Cooney has tendered his resignation as Offaly senior football manager.

The Meath man was only at the Faithful County helm for six months but oversaw a nightmare national football league campaign which culminated in relegation to the basement tier, with Offaly losing six of their seven Spring outings.

Cooney's departure comes eight weeks before the midlanders open their Leinster SFC campaign against neighbours Kildare, on June 17th.

After a long meeting with the panel last night, Cooney decided to step aside in the best interests of Offaly football. The County Board have reluctantly accepted his resignation.

Just two weeks ago, Cooney reaffirmed his commitment to the post and said he had no intention of going anywhere. The likes of Ross Brady, Richie Dalton and Niall Smith had left the squad and in the end something had to give.

The statement from Offaly County Board this morning reads:

"Offaly County Board Chairman Pat Teehan has issued a statement saying that it is with regret that he reluctantly accepts the resignation of Gerry Cooney as Offaly Senior Football Manager. Gerry and his management team had a lengthy meeting with the panel of players last night and afterwards Gerry tendered his resignation in what he described as the best interest of Offaly Football.

"Pat Teehan thanked Gerry for his loyalty, commitment and 100% dedication to the long term future of Offaly football.

"Offaly County Board will now commence the process of putting in place, an interim management, for the Championship. Offaly County Board or Gerry Cooney will not be issuing any further statement at this time."
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Not good news.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 am

TommyK

One glaring error in your post

Gerry C ia a Tullamore man who lives in Meath !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 1:32 am

I stole it from Hogan Stand! Don't shoot the messenger Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 2:03 am

Yea, he was born in Tullamore, older brother Hugh played Minor ( & U21?) for OY. Family moved to Meath when Gerry was 16 or so. He played Minor etc with Meath & was on a Meath panel when they won an All Ireland, so he has the medal !!!! Well respected in Mh as a coach but to manage Oy might need a lot more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 am

the length of time they took to put a manger in place the last time they would want to be quicker this time round with championship match against us 2 months away.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 3:10 am

TommyKeegan wrote:

That makes a change, given they steal everything they have
Back to top Go down
Gaffer
Intermediate
Intermediate
Gaffer

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:

Is this not plagerism when you steal somebody elses story.

I always tought it was frowned on when reporters or newspapers stole other peoples stories.

Anyway enough of this, why are we putting up posts about , Meath, Offally, Dublin etc.This is a Kiladre fans forum, who gives a hoot about those other counties apart from the fact that we want to beat them.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Gaffer wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:

I always tought it was frowned on when reporters or newspapers stole other peoples stories.

Anyway enough of this, why are we putting up posts about , Meath, Offally, Dublin etc.This is a Kiladre fans forum, who gives a hoot about those other counties apart from the fact that we want to beat them.

I find it interesting to read about the counties we are competing against. I have posted articles from Hoganstand myself and reckon it is just sharing news with members of the forum. I don't really see any harm in it.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Gaffer wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:

Give it a rest FFS!

We are playing them in the first round of the Leinster Championship so its very relevant to this forum.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 pm

i wonder will monasterevin manage to hold onto pascal kelleghan now. i would imagine he would be one of the names linked with the vacant post. he was over their u21s this year. has a very good club record so far and has won plenty as a player. be big loss for monasterevin. be nice to see him stay where he is though considering the start they have had to the year.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Hogan Stand rob every story from every newspaper in the country, and never credit most of it despite many requests from journalists to do so, so I've no problem not crediting them. As for other counties being mentioned on a Kildare forum, give it a rest will you. We play them in the first round of the championship so how is this not relevant to Kildare.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 am

From RTE.IE - can't see it making any difference but they were swift with this one...

Offaly GAA have appointed Tom Coffey as interim manager of the Offaly senior football team for the 2012 Championship season.
Coffey was appointed today at a meeting of the Offaly County Board management committee in O’Connor Park.
He comes into the role in the wake of Gerry Cooney’s resignation.
Coffey will take up the position with immediate effect.
There are no further details available with respect to his backroom team, but this will be announced in due course.
It will be Coffey’s second term as Offaly manager. He also served as interim manager for the league campaign of 2009.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Offaly Managerless Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offaly Managerless   Offaly Managerless Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Offaly Managerless
Page 1 of 1