Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Garry White

Go down 
+11
topcat
SeamusMurphy
kelf
Botch
tomcruise
midfieldmaestro
kildaregaa365
Big Full Back
Morrissey
kartman
Bān go Lēir
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:16 am

Published on Monday 18 February 2013 14:25 LEINSTER LEADER

KILDARE senior footballers have been hit with a major blow with the news that Gary ‘Chalky’ White has been forced to opt out of the senior squad due to an impending overseas tour of duty with the Defence Forces, writes Tommy Callaghan.

The popular Sarsfields man is an officer in the army and is due to head off on a six month tour of duty to the Lebanon in early May and as a result has decided to take himself off the Kildare panel forthwith.

It is a major blow both for Kieran McGeeney’s plans for 2013 and indeed for Sarsfields boss John Crofton as the, latter bids to lead Sarsfields to back-to-back senior titles.

White, pictured far right, played on Saturday for Sarsfields in the opening round of the Aldridge Cup against Naas, scoring 1-1 in a six point win.

Last year may not have been the army man’s best season with the county seniors, due to limited opportunities, but he has been one of McGeeney’s main men in the opening seven games of 2013.

In fact after the recent victory over Cork Kieran McGeeney went out of his way to single out the midfielder for his display.

“Gary is my type of player, he is good at what he does; he is able to see things happen before they happen and make the big tackles; he is never afraid to go for the ball and will put his head in where no one else will.”

The army officer has been ever present with Kildare from the start of the 2013 season, lining out in every game in the O’Byrne Cup at midfield and also performing with distinction against both Donegal and Cork in the opening rounds of the Allianz Football League, captaining the Lilies in that great win over the All Ireland champions, Donegal, just a few short weeks ago.

His absence is without question a major blow to The Lilies hopes of 2013.

Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 am

Surely ther is someone in the top brass of the army who could postpone this for another six months. There must be officers who want to go abroad at the moment.
A lot of good footballing high ranking officers/men in the curragh.Had to be avoidable.
Back to top Go down
Morrissey
Junior A
Junior A

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:57 am

It's not always about postponing things, I read the article in the Nationalist where Chalkie mentions having to look after family and that will always come before football and who can argue with that particularly in today's climate.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 am

kartman wrote:
Surely ther is someone in the top brass of the army who could postpone this for another six months. There must be officers who want to go abroad at the moment.
A lot of good footballing high ranking officers/men in the curragh.Had to be avoidable.

I'm sure Chalky would prob. love to build on his good start this year but the reality is he's an officer. He has to go now as tours abroad are not as common as they used to be and he no doubt has to complete some tours abroad because in years to come thats what counts for promotions and other positions. A few years ago lads were able to pick their trip they were that frequent but since the downturn they are a lot fewer and at the stage he's at it's prob. a must.

Will be sad to see him leave now considering his good start to the year..... Best of luck to him and you never know he might be back to lineout for an All-Ireland Quarter Final...... cheers
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

If he's going in May it seems unlikely he'll be back for an All Ireland QF BFB. By my maths that's November he'll be back
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Best of luck Gary.

He's been one of the best footballers in Kildare over the last two years and has just started to show that for Kildare. Hopefully, he can pick it up again when he's back next season.

Hopefully, Daryl, Hughie or even Dermot can get fully fit now and booost or midfield options as that's s key area for us that we've struggled with over the last few years.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 pm

This should come as no surprise to anyone as Chalky and the Geezer have known this for months. As a matter of fact , we were talking about it when the Sash beat us in the County final.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Why should the top brass of the army try to postpone this for chalky? My bosses tell me to go away to work I have to go because its my job. People were complaining in the country about the government looking after their own and here we are trying to do the same. He started the season very well and its very disappointing. Hopefully we can cope.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 am

Botch:

Nobody telling u or Chalky to go !!!! In the army they volunteer to go as its an extra few bob & very vital for promotion prospects.

No surprise, was there not articles & threads late last year saying he would not be available for any of the League & so surprised many by being available and even more by getting his place & doing so well !!!!!!

Best of luck to Chalky.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 am

I dont know the full facts, but I would imagine from what I know, you sign up for this Tour of Duty.. Im pretty sure this is the case and not that he has to or was forced to go, as Botch seems to be suggesting.. Might have made sence if he went out on the Novenber Tour surely??
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 am

Not sure of the ins and outs of the army ladies and gentlemen but just assumed they had to do their tour.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 am

You probably do if you want to make the extra few bob, and if its gonna lift you up the Career ladder.. Other than that I think its voluntary and nobody forces you to go..
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:21 am

Lads, there is no tour in November, that was the plan initially to defer it to November but that tour has been cancelled.
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 pm

I dunno, I think if he is an officer he would no choice, privates and NCOs can sign up but officers have no choice..
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 pm

You could be right shortgrass, there could be different rules re: Officers.. If so I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
archie
Senior
Senior

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 am

Spoke to an Army officer last night and was told that Gary would have to go if he ever wanted promotion. Then mentioned Dermot Earley and was told he only ever did 1 overseas tour and that was Oct/Nov to March.
Sarsfields must have had some influence !!!!!
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:31 am

Well his father was Chief of Staff in the army!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 pm

The thing with Chalky is that it's not like he must, bullet-to-the-head go. It's that going is vital in terms of bottom-line cash, and also, to promotion prospects down the line which means a better career and more cash. And not going would affect those chances negatively. He has a daughter, needs to buy a house. Like Jimmers and Andriú Mac, real life has had its impact.

At least we will definitely see Chalky back, all things being equal.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=2489
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garry White Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garry White   Garry White Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Garry White
Page 1 of 1