Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Championship Discussion/ Starting 15

Go down 
+19
lilywhites on tour
Ogie
SeamusMurphy
flourman
MD
Pin High
Could'nt Trap Cement
murof
kildaregaa365
bag of white
lomond
Loads of Pints
Ohtoohtobe
bloodsub
Rex
Kildare98
kickingking
Taibi
Jimmy winning matches
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Empty
PostSubject: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

I know yesterday's result will take a bit of time to get over but Kildare have had a good start to the year with Division 1 status kept a semi final place and the under 21's winning leinster and semi achieved. If you said that to me in January as the cliche goes I would have taken your right arm off.
Watching the League sunday programme earlier I see they are doing a football championship preview next sunday and that got me thinking about who I would have starting against Offaly on June the 1st .Good to see Michael Lyster looking well again.

1.Shane Connolly/Mark Donnellan I cant make up my mind on that one
2. Lyons
3. Foley
4. McGrillan
5. Bolton
6. P Kelly
7. Cribbin
8. Daryl Flynn
9. Sean Hurley
10. Dan Flynn
11. N.Kelly
12. Leper
13. Johnston
14. T o connor
15. Doyle
Be interested to see other peoples opinions,what would be yours?

Last edited by whiteknight on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 am

1.Shane Connolly/Mark Donnellan I cant make up my mind on that one
2. Lyons
3. Foley
4. McGrillan
5. Bolton
6. P Kelly
7. Cribben
8. Daryl Flynn
9. Sean Hurley
10. Dan Flynn
11. N.Kelly
12. paudie
13. brophy
14. T o connor
15. Doyle
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 am

Mark Donnellan
Ollie Lyons
Peter Kelly
Hugh McGrillen
Emmet Bolton
Mick Foley
Paul Cribbin
Seán Hurley
Daryl Flynn
Eamon Callaghan
Niall Kelly
Daniel Flynn
Seanie Johnston
Paddy Brophy
Johnny Doyle

That would leave a strong bench with the likes of the O'Flahertys, O'Neill, O'Connor and Smith. We have a serious lack of experienced corner backs. should we have a few injuries in that area we could be in big trouble. Also, we haven't got a consistent free taker which is a must to challenge for honours.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 am

Does anyone else think that Paul Cribbin is wasted in the half backs? I couldn't understand why he wasn't moved to centre forward when the match was slipping away from us yesterday. Kelly might have done a bit more damage in the corner too.

I can't see Daryl playing. He just doesn't appear to be favoured for whatever reason. I suppose it's unlikely that Brian Flanagan will be back for this?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

Wowsers, I didn't think the Offaly game was for another two months. It's not that far away. We will have to make sure we don't take our eye off the ball for that one. They have been rebuilding nicely under McDonnell, they've been promoted and I expect a much stiffer test than last year.

Despite the solid achievements in the spring of a league semi final and a Leinster U21, thanks to our shitty draw I am less optimistic about this championship campaign than any since Geezer took over. I don't see us beating Dublin and I would be genuinely worried we'll go out in the qualifiers this time. The unbeaten run can't go on forever. I hope I'm totally wrong, obviously.

Anyway, my starting 15 would be something like...

Donnellan
Kelly
Foley
McGrillen
Cribbin
Doyle
Bolton
Hurley
O'Neill
Callaghan
Kelly
Flynn
Johnston
Fogarty
Doyle

Here here on Michael Lyster, the man is a legend.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 am

Cribben does not have physicality for half back. Tyrone targeted him all day and he was brushed off time and time again. Half forward is his spot.

I went to pick a team but found it very hard. I'm struggling to find places for a few regular faces from the last five years. But you need some experience, a front six consisting of four U21's is a big risk and a lot of pressure to heap on them especially after yesterday.

I'll have to have a think about it and come back to it later
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Connolly
Lyons
Foley
McGrillan
Doyle
Kelly
Bolton
O'Neill
Hurley
Cribben
Kelly
Callaghan
O'Flaherty
O'Connor
Doyle
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm

1 Shane Connolly
2 Hugh McGrillen
3 Peter Kelly
4 David Hyland
5 Eamonn Callaghan
6 Mick Foley
7 Emmet Bolton
8 Sean Hurley
9 Darryl Flynn
10 Eoghan O'Flaherty
11 Niall Kelly
12 Paul Cribbin
13 John Doyle
14 Padraig O'Neill
15 Alan Smith
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 pm

hyland? really? having not started any NFL games - how do you think he would get on against a brogan, connolly or mcmanamon?

the Galway no 14 got through an unelievable amount of ball on sat and was one of my contenders for MOTM. Hyland - great potential, with a couple of years conditioning and League experience should be in there, not yet anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Loads of Pints wrote:
hyland? really? having not started any NFL games - how do you think he would get on against a brogan, connolly or mcmanamon?

the Galway no 14 got through an unelievable amount of ball on sat and was one of my contenders for MOTM. Hyland - great potential, with a couple of years conditioning and League experience should be in there, not yet anyway.

Yeah just think he's an excellent footballer and our defence is not doing well, if you look at the massive scores we're conceding. I admit it would be a risk but I would also have my doubts about any of the other options at corner-back: Ollie, Eoin Doyle, John Byrne, etc. I don't think Ollie is as good a man marker as people make out, good half-back though, same as Doyle. We're not overburdened with outstanding corner backs, apart from Peter Kelly.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Is Sean Hurley the answer to our midfield problems?? He has looked a little one paced over the last few weekends in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am

lomond wrote:
Is Sean Hurley the answer to our midfield problems?? He has looked a little one paced over the last few weekends in my opinion.

Hurley's a very good player. He's strong, he's got good hands, is good at carrying the ball and he can finish. What he'll have to work on is his leap for kickouts. Up until now at underage level he's been much bigger than most of the opposition so he'd only really have to stand under the kickout and with his size and strength he'd be able to field the ball.

At senior inter county level this won't happen as lads will be just as strong and in some cases taller. He'll have to be able to time his jump right so he's fielding it at the highest possible point. Daryll Flynn in years gone by was very good at this, he's not exceptionally tall but can time his jump well.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:

Yeah just think he's an excellent footballer and our defence is not doing well, if you look at the massive scores we're conceding. I admit it would be a risk but I would also have my doubts about any of the other options at corner-back: Ollie, Eoin Doyle, John Byrne, etc. I don't think Ollie is as good a man marker as people make out, good half-back though, same as Doyle. We're not overburdened with outstanding corner backs, apart from Peter Kelly.

Mcgrillen Foley and Peter Kelly is as good a full back line as any country imo. Yes hughie hasnt had the best of league campaigns but when the ground gets hard and with his pace he is solid.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 am

I've always had doubts about McGrillen's defending but in fairness he was very good the last day against Tyrone.Yeah good full-back line but in my opinion we need Foley at centre-back. In fairness it's a very hard team to pick everyone on this site would probably pick a different 15. And we could do with having Foley full-back, centre-back and midfield.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 am

I keep changing my team every week as the form lines have been confusing. Of the under 21s only Cribben (and possibly Kelly) have maintained their push for a senior place in the last two weeks. Flynn has been looking less explosive, Hurley looks like the pace of senior (or under 21 at All Ireland level) may be too much for him, Brophy was good against Tyrone but had an off day against Galway. Donnellan was looking promising but his shot stopping may not be as good as Connolly and his kick outs were poor on Saturday. Dowling in particular and Fogarty to a lesser degree have not put forward much of a case for inclusion. Hyland and F Conway are good players but we should wait until next year to blood them in my opinion. That said we are light on defenders so they may have to cover injuries. Right now I would only see the following as certainties on the 15:

Foley
Paudie
Cribben
Johnny

Other places seem to be up for grabs for me depending on performances in training an challenges. I just hope we don't underestimate Offaly in the way we did Wickla and Louth in the recent past. Offaly will be better this year, although a well prepared Kildare should have too much for them.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 am

Not up to naming a starting 15 yet after the weekend but I would like to see a few mildly radical changes. Dont think Peter Kelly is good enough for no 6 but would love to see Callaghan get a run there. He has all the attributes needed for the modern centre back, pace,skill, vision, stamina, and ability to get forward for vital scores. Would agree with Cribben going half forward as I think his all action style would help us create more scores. I think the heavy training is affecting Niall Kelly of late, he seems to have lost a lot of the creative energy he had at the start of the league. Dont wish to start another contentious debate over TOC but could he be tried at 11 leaving room inside for better scorers ( yes we do have some! ) to operate. I think to win the big games we will need to score a couple of goals every game, history has shown us that we just kick to many wides on the big days.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I've always had doubts about McGrillen's defending but in fairness he was very good the last day against Tyrone.Yeah good full-back line but in my opinion we need Foley at centre-back. In fairness it's a very hard team to pick everyone on this site would probably pick a different 15. And we could do with having Foley full-back, centre-back and midfield.

I think Fergal Conway is worth a look at centre back. I've seen him play a lot for Celbridge and Kildare under 21s and he's always impressed me. Strong, good defender and good on the ball.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 am

Thought Conway was very quiet on Saturday and if Sean Moran can do that much damage at under 21 level on him I'd be worried about him at senior level just now. I do think he is a decent prospect but we've enough raw under 21s in my view without adding one in the pivotal CB position.
Back to top Go down
Could'nt Trap Cement
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 am

Nevermind your dream championship 15....

Who do people actually think will start come the offaly game?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 am

Reckon he'll go for something like: Donnellan; McGrillen, Foley, Lyons; Bolton, P Kelly, Doyle/Cribbin; Hurley, O'Neill; Dan Flynn, N Kelly, Eoghan Flats; Johnston, O'Connor, Doyle.
Back to top Go down
Pin High
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 am

The last 2/3 games have confirmed for me that our 21's are not quite really for the intensity of senior championship football. If we play more than 2 of them this year we will be in trouble against the better teams. We are capable of getting a win against Offaly with a very different team than will be needed to take on the Dubs or the bigger sides in the knockouts. I hope we plan with that in mind!
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:32 am

Hard to pick a team really...still a lot of places up for grabs but this is what I see...

Donnellan
Lyons
Foley
Mcgrillen
Bolton
P Kelly
Cribben
Hurley
O Neill
Dan Flynn
N Kelly
Eoghan O Flats
JD
Brophy
SJ

What I want...
Donnellan
Kelly
Foley
Lyons
Bolton
Leper
Cribben
Hurley
Flynn
Dan Flynn
Kelly
Paudie
JD
Brophy
SJ/Smyth

Undecided on last one. I think Seanie lost a bit of form near end of league while I always feel we have a threat with Smith...He always seems to get out in front
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 am

No McGrillen MD - I'd say he'd nearly be first name on the team sheet?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 am

For what its worth..

Donnellan
P Kelly
Foley
Mc Grillen
Lyons
Dan Flynn
Bolton
Daryl Flynn
Hurley
Leper
Conway
Cribben
Johnny
Brophy
N Kelly

I go for Mickey as he is our only option for left footed frees. I also just give Paddy the nod over Tom, as I think he carries more of a scoring threat than Tom.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:37 am

Interesting that Morgan O'Flaherty's not on any of the teams. Is he really that far off it? Good footballer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Championship Discussion/ Starting 15    Championship Discussion/ Starting 15  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Championship Discussion/ Starting 15
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next