Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ironic or what?

Go down 
+22
TommyKeegan
hope
archie
Hereallweek
micky murphy
Botch
lilysavage
Ohtoohtobe
kelf
Taibi
murof
Rex
LillieLad
Kildare98
Lily8
jim
kildaregaa365
lilywhites on tour
fatherted
SeamusMurphy
reichenhall
jimmers
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/seanie-johnston-inspires-as-cavan-run-riot-against-armagh-34514770.html

Don't like dragging up what was one of the more damaging episodes in recent Kildare GAA history, but one has to look at this with a wry smile
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 10:44 am

quite a large wry smile i would think jimmers...a cunning plan...which backfired and left egg all over the place......

but great to see Seanie back doing what he does best.....kicking ball.... Smile
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Sadly missed by Coill dubh Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Senior
Senior

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 9:54 pm

An episode which ultimately turned clubs against McGeaney I think. We'll never live that one down
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 am

Cost us a potential Leinster title in 2012. Players and management clearly distracted by the transfer, night before meath game. Boom. championship pretty much over!!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 6:16 am

lilywhites on tour wrote:
Cost us a potential Leinster title in 2012. Players and management clearly distracted by the transfer, night before meath game. Boom. championship pretty much over!!

Did he also cause the capitulation against Cork? We were miles off a Leinster in 2012 lad.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 6:37 am

Cost us a leinster title......ah here Ted. Let not get carried away .
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 6:45 am

Wasn't Johnston's fault we didn't win a Leinster title. The whole thing was such a mess and not all down to him. Glad to see him back doing well with Cavan.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:08 am

His transfer added to the pressure was my point! Meath relegated to div 3, drew with Carlow, hammered them in replay, then beat us well. We should have beaten them. That day in croker was a disaster and I know many would not agree but the transfer was a huge distraction for management and team, in that game. My reasoning for saying a leinster is I felt we would have beaten dublin that year, as they were poor in the entire Championship - Laois nearly caught them in Quarter final. I feel 2012 was the last chance for the Geezer era team to win Leinster in earnest!
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 am

Personally I don't think Seaniegate had anything to do with it, but I agree with Lilywhites that we should have won Leinster that year. It was a pitiful Meath team as well which added to the horror.

Much as I loved Geezer, for me again that day, there were tactical choices I couldn't go along with. Playing Tomas O'Connor at full forward, and using Mick Foley in midfield... McGeeney subsequently said the latter decision cost them the match. Conor Gillespie had one of his infrequent games for Meath - it was one of the five or so championship matches in his career where he wasn't injured - and we made him look like some combination of Niall Buckley and MD Macauley.

It genuinely was a disaster because that defeat finished that particular team. I honestly think that psychologically they weren't right after it. And the rest, as the fella says, isn't history... Meath revelled in it of course, the bastards.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:35 am

Were we not level in that game until Daryl got sent off though? they were the better team that day even up until that moment but it was a close game... (Not blaming Daryl btw)
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:28 am

Don't want to go back over this again, but for me it was not the Meath game which ended that team, it was the Donegal game the year before. That was one heart break to much and they never recovered.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 pm

No doubt it was an absolute hammer blow Rex but the thing was, they did come back the next year and get promoted. I thought - and still think - that was a brilliant achievement and it made me very angry how blase Jason Ryan was about relegation.

You had a group of players who basically sweated blood to make us one of the top teams in the country and then you had Ryan going, "Easy come easy go... Monaghan won Ulster from Div 3."

But maybe the damage from the Donegal defeat really came home to roost v Meath...
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Rex wrote:
Don't want to go back over this again, but for me it was not the Meath game which ended that team, it was the Donegal game the year before. That was one heart break to much and they never recovered.

Correct, that game was the making of Donegal and the end of us as a contender. The disallowed goal would have put us 6 ahead and probably on the way to a semi final. Seanie was irrelevant in our decline and only made us look desperate.
Ah well, we are a long way from that level judged on last sunday.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 6:20 am

I'll tell you what's ironic, the Scoobies on the hill booing Johnston, while a couple of years later you have a lad playing for Eadestown suddenly declaring and playing for the Dublin U21's, then the following week three non Dublin County forwards all sign with St. Vincent's on the same day. "I just want to play football boss, the job is here you see"

Is there a murmur from Croke Park or the likes of John Fogarty. Nope, nothing to see here.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 7:21 am

An excellent post Rex or the couple of Celbridge Hurley s transferring to Tipp.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 7:21 am

Rex wrote:
I'll tell you what's ironic, the Scoobies on the hill booing Johnston, while a couple of years later you have a lad playing for Eadestown suddenly declaring and playing for the Dublin U21's, then the following week three non Dublin County forwards all sign with St. Vincent's on the same day. "I just want to play football boss, the job is here you see"

Is there a murmur from Croke Park or the likes of John Fogarty. Nope, nothing to see here.

Mick Deegan's son who lives and plays club football for Ashbourne in Meath is also playing with the Dublin U21s. You'd have to wonder why they want to play with their Father's county but not their club. It's nothing but bandwagon jumping.

As for Quinn, they're welcome to him. He is not a good keeper, he's only on the panel because his Father is Niall Quinn.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:40 pm

and they had an Eadestown lad on their minors last year !!!!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 pm

In fairness lads a couple of underage players declaring for their father's county is not the same as poaching another county's best senior forward. You're clutching at straws comparing the two. Neither Eadestown lad is any loss to us.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Agreed no loss at all.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Where does this rule end ?.. is it only for underage ??.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 am

I agree it is no loss now, however when the day comes and I feel it will, that one of our home grown Johnny Doyle's decides to declare for daddy's dublin, we will care. The more that move into Kildare the more that this becomes a problem. In our own club our current 16/ minor age lost 4 lads to Palmerstown, and Lucan. Of these young players, two are real talented footballers and one had a stint with Underage Kildare teams. Unfortunately the four support dublin because of parents and as a result they transferred one after another. The knock on effect is that we lost 4 good lads and our team was weakened, we are now with confey at minor level. My overarching point of this is, these lads are reared in County Kildare but they do not wish to play because of parents imposing their county on them. How will Kildare Gaa progress if a large group whose parents are not from this county but they themselves are, decide not to give THEIR county a chance? I know a lot of dubs who have common sense and state that their children are Kildare children but there is a significant growing minority who choose to ingrain a hatred of this county into their children and a knock on effect is that we ultimately lose out. It may not be a major problem now but I feel in the future if a change is not made in the rule, it will become a significant occurrence.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 3:28 am

Why do we think the Eadestown lad will not be a loss? Did Kildare contact him or ever given him a chance? Dublin would hardly just include him just because who his father is. They are way too well run for that.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 3:44 am

From what i seem of Quinn jnr at underage he won't make the grade, was he on the Eadestown first 15 last year?
Back to top Go down

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 7:36 am

Botch you'd be surprised how a lad would get into an underage panel if there was an auld sponsorship package involved
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ironic or what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ironic or what?   Ironic or what? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ironic or what?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: