Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Meath

Go down 
+47
Caprea
TommyKeegan
Taibi
Club fan
DONTPULLOUT
Curraghplains
Botch
lomond
Gaa1928
GoDownOnIt
seamymurphy
steviegenius
Ohtoohtobe
topcat
CantonasCollar
Cilldara_2000
Liffey Likes
murof
Twentyeight
kelf
Cassanata
Highball
bite the pillow
jimmers
lilysavage
Micko lillywhite
Lanemusic
moatesports
John_R
Badger85
Flamingo
Onhisboot
BearintheSquare
micky murphy
ClaneLillywhite
parcel
tomoneillandhissisteranne
OutTheGap
TheGeneral
Ronburgundy2020
kildarecat
jemser
Frodo93
white boy
bigball
Borderline
Dinny Breen
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 am

Time for county board to hire Full time strength and conditioning coach to to look after u17 , u20 and Senior teams
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 am

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:
Time for county board to hire Full time strength and conditioning coach to  to look after u17 , u20  and Senior teams

I agree but think it needs to start earlier, we need someone to oversee the whole thing from development squads to senior. With S&C we can’t start developing good habits early enough in my opinion.

white boy and Micko lillywhite like this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 am

What's Julie Davis up to these days. All joking aside, we've never been as fit as when she was in charge.

Definitely S&C side of things need to be looked out. I don't think we are up to the level to compete never mind beat the better teams.
Back to top Go down
ClaneLillywhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 am

On the S&C, all we've got to do is look at Meath, Armagh and even Kerrry, it takes year's to see the results of a solid strength program, not just one winter. Limerick, Dublin, Galway and Donegal, when they've won All Irelands they have serious praise for their strength and conditioning coaches. Such a vital part in today's game

Armagh have the same background team that Geezer had with Kildare, Kerry pulled the head of s&C for us last year, Jason something?

The minute those u20s won the AI they should have all been accessed and given the right program that would bear fruit around now and going forward.

We need to have a Bryan Cullen Esq, maybe there is someone in the county already, link them up with Carlow IT or NUI Maynooth too. We probably should leverage Maynooth more with their facilities, a la cork IT and Cork, Limerick IT, DCU and Dubs.

All you've got to do is look how NUI Maynooth have performed with "savage" team's recently in the Sigerson Cup, over 6+ Kildare lads on those teams managed by Kildare lads. Don't fair too well when the going gets tough, questions asked of them etc.

Micko lillywhite likes this post

Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:42 am

parcel wrote:
Does anyone know where I can re-watch the game online?? I forgot to record it....  
I take it that you're joking Parcel !!!
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:44 am

BearintheSquare wrote:
I cant post a link but can someone post the examiner piece where Oconnor said we couldnt keep up with the pace after the first half.... Have we fitness issues?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40082807.html

Three-time All-Ireland winning Kerry manager O'Connor was left to reflect on the disparity between the opposition that Meath, who operated in Division 1, and Kildare have been facing throughout the year.

"My immediate reaction is that we need to be playing at this level, this was another step up for us and I thought we handled it well for the first 35 minutes," said O'Connor. "We exerted an awful lot of energy on stopping their runners and breaking them down on their kick-out but the bottom line is we couldn't sustain that for the second half and that was the story of the game.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 2:51 am

I still think laughing and joking with meath players after getting hammered is a serious crime .

lilywhites on tour and Micko lillywhite like this post

Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 3:36 am

A good manager will look at what he has as his disposal what type of the players we have in the county etc and then come up with a plan that suits that group of players that is easier said than done. When we were competing with the top teams we were as fit or even fitter than most ie Mickos and McGeeney teams. Looking at Kildare the last few years we are no where near fit enough to compete and with Jack o Connor coming out with that statement that Kildare could not compete for the 2nd half against a not great Meath team that to me shows that we have to up the fitness to compete.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 am

Rex wrote:
What's Julie Davis up to these days.  All joking aside, we've never been as fit as when she was in charge.

Definitely S&C side of things need to be looked out. I don't think we are up to the level to compete never mind beat the better teams.
Julie with mcGeeney in Armagh
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 am

moatesports wrote:
I still think laughing and joking with meath players after getting hammered is a serious crime .

In all seriousness the man openly gives interviews stating that hes not overly interested in GAA and the juice isnt worth the squeeze. After his performances this year we need to look at building a team around Kirwin and Jimmy. all i want to see is lads proud to represent the county.

Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 am

S&C is vital in the modern game. But if players don’t have the moral backbone not to allow themselves to be walked all over by Meath, they can be as big as the want it won’t matter.
If players don’t have the willingness to go to the edge of what’s allowed in the game and push themselves to their limit mentally, we’ll go nowhere.
When the going got tough, we disappeared. Muscles won’t help that.

Taibi, lilysavage, moatesports, BearintheSquare and Micko lillywhite like this post

Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 am

Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 5:05 am

BearintheSquare wrote:
How do they build mental toughness?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mick-odwyers-acid-test-players-curragh-army-camp-genius-146592

Very good.... Who was the player who hid in the trees?

BearintheSquare likes this post

Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 5:08 am

I dont know but I think he got gate soon after. Johnny doyle said Micko had Terry rossiter running after breaking his fingers.

Back to top Go down
Micko lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 5:20 am

Against a poor offally team we allowed offaly 3 clear goal chances need I say more no lesson learned and we paid the price have to say embarrassing
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 5:26 am

BearintheSquare wrote:
I dont know but I think he got gate soon after. Johnny doyle said Micko had Terry rossiter running after breaking his fingers.

The context of Johnny saying this was that footballers back in the day were as fit and hardworking as any of them are now.

Quote :
“I remember one incident where Terry Rossiter was playing under-21 and he was after breaking his thumb.

“The cast wasn’t set on his arm and he went to Micko [at senior training] with it and Micko said: ‘Jesus, sure there’s nothing wrong with your legs, you can still run’.

“If you did that now there’d be war.

“You’d have Joe [Brolly] on the telly going absolutely ballistic. But that was the way it was and if you didn’t want to do it you didn’t play.”

https://www.the42.ie/johnny-3125521-Dec2016/

BearintheSquare likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 6:20 am

I see the perpetual bore Bernard Flynn is sticking the boot in. If Kildare players can't read the likes of him and not feel some anger then we are lost.

How often can a team be laughed at before they start pushing back.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 am

What did he say?, in fairness there is little that can be left unsaid about yesterday, what did anyone say about yesterday
that was so wrong to warrant such indignation?, dress it up what way you like but many of those players are scarred after that, I know I am, that was humiliation on a grand scale.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 am

Every year the same for last few years we go out on a whimper and players are humiliated and ashamed of their performance etc etc etc however this year we have no back door to redeem themselves...... proper knock out no second chances....
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 am

Rex wrote:
I see the perpetual bore Bernard Flynn is sticking the boot in. If Kildare players can't read the likes of him and not feel some anger then we are lost.

How often can a team be laughed at before they start pushing back.

You'd also think they'd be sore from all the hammerings they've taken over the years. But regrettably it doesn't seem to make all that much difference come the following year when we get knocked out with barely a whimper yet again.

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 am

The fitness levels were poor against Meath but overall it is not the main issue. We don't seem to be leggy when the tails are up and we are playing well...then there are sprints in the 70th minute.

I would really go against more centralisation in the county. Lads being taken away into development squads where they get their nice gear and they think they are great lads at 17/18.
Our lads are well coached all the way up, you can't beat Dublin underage if you are not.

Do our county men stand out all the time for their clubs? That is the minimum. I think overall they need to be playing more with clubs and going into the trenches with their mates and dragging their home team through.

What harm would that do? Less conditioned games and drills and more 30-something-year-old solid club players hopping off them. Then we will see if they best them or can stand the battle.
Honestly there is no team that makes so many stupid mistakes that has operated at our level in recent years. Loads of games played but no experience gained.

It just baffles me as to why they would put themselves through the horrible evenings in winter and all those hours training to just let games drift so often.

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm

The vast majority of these players have just finished playing in the senior club championships, most of them at the latter stages, if that is not good preparation for inter county football what is ???
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
The vast majority of these players have just finished playing in the senior club championships, most of them at the latter stages, if that is not good preparation for inter county football what is ???

Id imagine theres a big gulf in class between senior club and intercounty. Some of the lads are even only from Intermediate clubs also. From our county final how many men were on the pitch for Kildare, a third?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Thinking about it again I really think we were the better team. 5 big mistakes cost us big. It's a lot to come back from. Even after the 3rd goal we were still in with a big shout.
To be hit by 5 goals it hard to get over no matter who are. Even happened to the dubs.

I just hope we work on those weaknesses. It has been there a long time. And let's face it. Its down to players making footballing decisions. Defenders have to read the game as well as mark their man. If there is danger all plans go out the window and you decide to leave your man and protect the goal. That same call has been there since the game began.

I think our defenders are playing in positions they don't really know. They should know but they play in different positions for their clubs. I think when you start mix and matching like that you have weaknesses. Especially in defence.

Do any of our defenders scare the crap out of anyone. No they don't. I do think hyland and ó grady are the best we have
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 pm

I think we need to change the way we plan the year. The way things have gone the old attitude of it's only the league is a load of b****x. We should say to hell with the championship for the next 3 to 5 years. Concentrate everything we have on the league, getting to division 1 and staying there (which would be a huge ask).

At the moment we are going from year to year with largely the same set of players, not much focus on the league and knowing that if we make it far enough to face Dublin they are going to beat us. It's time to have a longer term plan with achievable goals and if we make it there then we can look at how we can beat Dublin.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Meath   Kildare v Meath - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Meath
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next