Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal

Go down 
+8
sillycow
overthebar
kildarecat
sean boylan
parcel
kickingking
bag of white
Fear An Geata
12 posters

Should Darren O'Sullivan's goal have stood ?
Yes
Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Vote_lcap74%Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Vote_rcap
 74% [ 17 ]
No
Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Vote_lcap26%Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Vote_rcap
 26% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Empty
PostSubject: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Does anyone else think Darren O'Sullivan's goal should have been disallowed and a free awarded to Limerick. He had bounced the ball once and in order to avoid overplaying the ball he dropped it before shooting. It wasn't a double hop because the ball didn't return to his hands but in my opinion he should have been penalised for a throw as he deliberately dropped the ball.

A throw is defined in the rule book as "When the ball, held in the hand(s), is played away without a definite striking action."

According to Kevin McStay there was nothing wrong with it and Ciaran Whelan described it as a great individual effort.

I know it's unlikely to have much outcome on the result but I i'd like to hear other peoples view on this. Foul or cute play ???
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Fear An Geata wrote:
Does anyone else think Darren O'Sullivan's goal should have been disallowed and a free awarded to Limerick. He had bounced the ball once and in order to avoid overplaying the ball he dropped it before shooting. It wasn't a double hop because the ball didn't return to his hands but in my opinion he should have been penalised for a throw as he deliberately dropped the ball.

A throw is defined in the rule book as "When the ball, held in the hand(s), is played away without a definite striking action."

According to Kevin McStay there was nothing wrong with it and Ciaran Whelan described it as a great individual effort.

I know it's unlikely to have much outcome on the result but I i'd like to hear other peoples view on this. Foul or cute play ???

I agree with you Fear, it should have been a free out.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Legal goal IMO. He realised he was going to overplay it, so he cleverly dropped it ahead of himself rather than hopping it twice. You see it all the time in hurling when a lad has already caught the ball twice.

I think O'Leary had a good goal disallowed for a square ball before O'Sullivan's goal. I don't think he was in the square before the ball arrived.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 pm

kickingking wrote:
Legal goal IMO. He realised he was going to overplay it, so he cleverly dropped it ahead of himself rather than hopping it twice. You see it all the time in hurling when a lad has already caught the ball twice.

I think O'Leary had a good goal disallowed for a square ball before O'Sullivan's goal. I don't think he was in the square before the ball arrived

Agree KK, I thought the ball was in the square before the man. Limerick's second goal was more of a square ball for me,
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Two good goals if ya ask me...limerick wing back gave up very easily for o sullivans goal.. Ya never see that happenin with Kildare under mcgeeny. Kerry are unreal at keep ball
Back to top Go down
sean boylan
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm

I thought it was a clever bit of play for him. But isn't his pace immense. Declan ran the show for Kerry i thought. Donoghy did play very well and any team would take him but is it just me of does he seem a bit one dimentional. Fair enough he makes the odd run but usually its high ball in. (which he does very well) but he cant beat a player. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Willie hef would be one dimensional...Donaghy is probably best full forward in Ireland. He doesn't to be able beat his man the way he plays
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 pm

I agree with fear na geata, he hopped the ball ran the required amount of steps, so his next course of action is to either pass to a colleague, shoot, or tip it on his toe, that he threw the ball to the ground and then kicked it to the net suggests to me it was a foul play, well if its not? it should be?.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 am

sorry lads, its a legal goal as its stands by the rules nowadays, a foul used to be committed when the player bounced the ball twice even he did not catch it on the second bounce. but now as seen on tv this evening he's intitled to bounce the ball twice as long as does'nt catch it on the second bounce. think i'm right on this one but i'm open to correction......................where's the rule book study
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 12:47 am

fair goal, kerry are the barca for the gaa, savage..
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:21 am

It was a brilliant piece of improvisation aka skill, no way was it a foul. A great goal.

Now I know you're not the real Sean Boylan when you see Donaghy can't go past a man. I don't know how many full-backs he has milled past in the past few years. Obviously he's not jinking past lads, he's a fucking giant!! You never saw Tadhg Fennin fielding balls out of the sky. Donaghy does that, his vision is brilliant, he can score goals and points, AND he can beat a man. Full package
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 am

Lets just say if it happened in the middle of the field, would the ref have blown for a foul?

Ogie, Donaghy is a nighmare to mark but he's far from the complete package?, Colm Cooper feeds off him, Donaghy knows he's not as talented but very effective in what he does.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

Legal goal for me. The hurlers have being doing this for years now and it was only a matter of time before the football lads started to copy. How many will now use it to get themselves out of a tight corner when surrounded, drop the ball kick it pass the defender and run after it again. Kilkenny started doing something similar when in a tight situation, drop the ball to the ground and then pick it up again instead of trying to run with it on the hurley.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm

kildarecat wrote:
Lets just say if it happened in the middle of the field, would the ref have blown for a foul?

Ogie, Donaghy is a nighmare to mark but he's far from the complete package?, Colm Cooper feeds off him, Donaghy knows he's not as talented but very effective in what he does.

We'll have to agree to disagree KC, in my humble opinion he'd piss into any team in the country.

I don't see why a foul would have been given in the middle of the field. In my experience, refs are more inclined to err on the side of the defending the team and if there was even a hint of a foul - and I just don't see even a hint of a foul - the ref would have ruled out the goal.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

I thought you were not allowed to deliberately drop the ball?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 pm

So how does a player, like Jimmy Keavney in his day, execute a "drop-kick"??
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Stonecold wrote:
So how does a player, like Jimmy Keavney in his day, execute a "drop-kick"??

Good question SC. Never thought of that. Sould the drop kick be illegal ? bounce

Any refs out there with opinions ?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Sam1928 wrote:

First I heard of it I must say.....
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Sam1928 wrote:

Never heard that myself either. It would be nigh on impossible to judge whether a player had dropped a ball accidentally or deliberately.

Johnny Doyle tried a similar trick on Sunday down by the Canal End when he was going out of play. He dropped the ball just inside the end-line and then regathered possession. The umpire (incorrectly from my vantage point), adjudged that the ball had gone wide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal   Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legality of Darren O'Sullivan goal
Page 1 of 1