Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?

Go down 
+11
rgb
kartman
Stonecold
Big Full Back
hawker
lastline
Fear An Geata
Rex
Onhisboot
walsheman
kildarecat
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Empty
PostSubject: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 7:58 am

Will someone explain to me what the actual handpass rule means, ok he wasn't passing the ball to another player, but did he use his hand in an illegal way, all he did was use a total open hand to slap the ball on the ground to bounce past the keeper. illegal or legal?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 am

i deem it legal!!!not a hand pass,is just helping the ball on,clever finish actually
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 am

But you know where I'm coming from walshe, his actual use of his hand was. if it was a handpass he would have to be blown for a foul?, but typically GAA the poor refs are totally confused, the poor guys haven't a clue what the hell is going on.....
Back to top Go down
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:17 am

definitely legitimate, same as if the ball was passed accross the square and he palmed it in with open hand
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 am

It was a great finish, very quick thinking. Most lads would have tried to pick it up or side foot it. I bet it's not the last goal like that this year.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:24 am

Playing Rule 3.2

A score may be made by striking the ball in flight with the hand(s).

As Brogan wasn't in possession of the ball when he struck it with his hand there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. I thought it was a very clever finish as the keeper would have expected him to take possession before attempting to score.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:30 am

Anyone got the actual rules as regards the use of the hands?, all I know you can't actually grab the ball and then use your hand to put it into the net,, if its in the air its fair game, and in Brogans case it was loose, but my point is, Bernard used a wide open hand, that if it had been used for a hand pass almost every ref would have blown him for a foul?
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:43 am

RULE 3 - SCORES
3.1 A goal is scored when the ball is played over the goal-line between the posts and under the crossbar by either team.

A point is scored when the ball is played over the crossbar between the posts by either team.

A goal is equivalent to three points.

The team with the greater final total of points is the winner.

Exceptions
A player on the team attacking a goal and who is in possession of the ball may not score: -
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents’ goal-line;
(ii) a goal with his hands except as provided in Rule 1.2 Exception (ii) (see below) ;
(iii) a point with his open hand(s), but may score a point by fisting the ball.

3.2 A score may be made by striking the ball in flight with the hand(s).

3.3 (a) A score shall be allowed if, in the opinion of the referee, the ball was prevented from crossing the goal-line by anyone other than a player or the referee.
(b) If part of the goalposts or crossbar is displaced during play, the referee shall award the score which he considers would have resulted had a part not been displaced.

3.4 If a defending player plays the ball through his own scoring space in any manner, this shall
count as a score.

Rule 1.2 When the ball is on the ground, it may be played by any part of the body except the hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the feet.

Exceptions
(i) The goalkeeper may play the ball on the ground with his hand(s) inside his own small rectangle.
(ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.
(iii) The ball may not be lifted off the ground with the knees.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 am

legite for me. if he was going to bounce the ball to gain control its ok to use open hand. i dont think we should get bogged down in the niggly things like that. it was an opurtunists goal and i say fair play. be best to forget about closed hand and the "under arm" rule. to hard for ref to police scratch
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 am

I thought that a player could use the open hand (underhand motion) when handpassing the ball. Once there is a striking motion then the handpass is legal.

Or am I totally wrong?

Edit: On second thought I see where the OP is coming from now when he mentions the open hand motion that Brogan did. Either way its totally legit. Plenty of goals every year where players palm the ball into the net.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am

Oh brings me back to the cracker of a palmed goal by Spillane against Tyrone in 86'... Flying Spillane..... Was the changing point of the game that year and Kerry went on to win......
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Fear An Geata wrote:
RULE 3 - SCORES
(ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.

Wow never knew that was allowed, seen many a player pulled up over it.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I had my doubts about this goal when i saw it so i asked a kildare referee yesterday and he said it should have been disallowed because as part of the new hand pass rule a player can now only score from a closed fist,be it point or goal.
But they can pass with an open hand once its underhand.All closed fist passes are allowed,underhand,overhand,sidewards although he did say some of his colleauges disagree with what he says hes been taught.

Take from that what you want.

Of course we all know the goal should have been allowed but never that simple.And that difference in refereeing practices is astonishing.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Good point Supersub, depending on the Ref rules are followed or not. Doesn't give a manager much chance to drill his team. Inconsistency again.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Ah lads! The ball was already in flight and he just flicked it on. Of course it's a legitimate goal.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Fear An Geata wrote:
RULE 3 - SCORES

WTF lads????...I always thought you cant touch the ball on the ground at all, Thats a new one for me. Better tell some refs as well.

Brogans goal was excellent. He didnt have possession of it so palming it in seems legit to me. Great thinking to bounce it down under the keeper.
Back to top Go down
The Oracle
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
Stonecold wrote:
Fear An Geata wrote:
RULE 3 - SCORES

WTF lads????...I always thought you cant touch the ball on the ground at all, Thats a new one for me. Better tell some refs as well.

Brogans goal was excellent. He didnt have possession of it so palming it in seems legit to me. Great thinking to bounce it down under the keeper.

Ah lads, I'm completely disillusioned!! Two of the most senior posters (including the old forum if I'm not wrong) and you don't know this rule!?

I suppose we can forgive you as most refs don't seem to know that rule either! Laughing
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior
midfieldmaestro

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 am

Brogan's goal was definitely a goal - no doubt in my mind about that. Hand passing rule don't come in to it.

As for touching the ball on the ground - didn't know that. Thought if it was hopping you could probably hit it with your hand but if just lying on the ground when you are, I really didn't think you could hit it away.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 am

3 cheers for bernard brogan i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 am

I think there may be confusion with the wording of that rule above.

I took it to mean that if a player is knocked down and the ball is on the ground then he can fist or palm the ball away on the ground. This obviously is not the case and I am a mong.

It must mean he is on the ground but still in possession of the ball (which is not on the ground) and palms or fists the ball away.

Ok fair enough. Gotcha.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:00 am

If you lose the ball and it is on the ground you can play it away with your hand, very rarely you get away wit it but you should be allowed do it.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:14 am

I've seen many a goamouth scramble where that happened resulting in a penalty, but as Sam said maybe I'm reading it wrong and its the player and not the ball thats on the ground.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 am

So sheridans goal should have been allowed.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 am

supersub wrote:
So sheridans goal should have been allowed.

No he carried it over the line and then tried to kick it in.
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:39 am

sarcasm only works on forums if you use a smiley face! Very Happy lol! afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next