Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?

Go down 
+11
rgb
kartman
Stonecold
Big Full Back
hawker
lastline
Fear An Geata
Rex
Onhisboot
walsheman
kildarecat
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 am

Stonecold wrote:
I've seen many a goamouth scramble where that happened resulting in a penalty, but as Sam said maybe I'm reading it wrong and its the player and not the ball thats on the ground.

The player must be clearly in possession before the ball breaks loose, which really ties in with what Geezer is always saying, too much grey aea in the tackle in GAA.
Back to top Go down
The Oracle
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm

If a player who is in possession, i.e. was holding the ball, goes to ground he may punch/slap/push the ball while it is on the ground. He may not pick it up or grab it.
I'm not 100% sure of it but I assume he can score a goal by doing this but its not something I've ever seen yet.
Like I've already said alot of refs don't even know the rule. I once came across a ref who penalised a team-mate for slapping the ball on the ground like that. When challenged the ref said 'you can only do that if you are in physical danger' !!! He didn't have a clue, we actually laughed at him which made the thick fu*ker even thicker!
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 pm

The Oracle wrote:
If a player who is in possession, i.e. was holding the ball, goes to ground he may punch/slap/push the ball while it is on the ground. He may not pick it up or grab it.
I'm not 100% sure of it but I assume he can score a goal by doing this but its not something I've ever seen yet.
Like I've already said alot of refs don't even know the rule. I once came across a ref who penalised a team-mate for slapping the ball on the ground like that. When challenged the ref said 'you can only do that if you are in physical danger' !!! He didn't have a clue, we actually laughed at him which made the thick fu*ker even thicker!

He may not be as thick as you think Oracle. I was at a coaching course a couple of years ago and one of the nights involved a quiz on the rules by one of the guys who trains referees. This particular rule came up and he said the reason a player was allowed to fist / push the ball away on the ground was for safety reasons, as if the player is lying on the ground in close proximity to the ball it could be dangerous for that player.
Back to top Go down
The Oracle
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Trust me Fear An Geata (I can't shorten your name to its initials as is has an unfortunate meaning!!) he is thick!

It raises an interesting question though, what are refs being trained to do. If the rule is exactly as its posted earlier in this thread (with no mention of physical danger or safety) then why are refs being told to interpret it differently. Or is it just this particular guys interpretation? But if he is training refs then its opening a can of worms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?    Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Bernard Brogans goal legit?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2