Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney

Go down 
+4
Stonecold
Ohtoohtobe
tomcruise
Rex
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

"Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Empty
PostSubject: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Well, that's paraphrasing a little but it's the general gist of what he said. Basically he was on the committee that was considering splitting Dublin in two. This talk he says "served its purpose in galvanising the county and rousing what was a sleeping giant." It came down to the GAA needing Dublin to win and they were not even close to getting there. So we are going to help you..
Maybe if they put their efforts into every County as they did Dublin we might get a few different winners.

I read this article and just thought Dublin's win was inevitable. When the supposed impartial President of the GAA is stating " the spin offs could be remarkable" due to a Dublin win it makes me ponder many incidents and decisions this year

Or maybe I should get one of these
"Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Foil10

Here's the article.

Read more: http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/cooney-decision-to-keep-dublin-united-vindicated-168136.html#ixzz1YZrj8ef1

Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Rex

What worries me about that article is going forward and the referees that will be chosen to assist the GAA in helping Dublin. I watched the game on Setanta last night and the decisions against the Kingdom were a disgrace much like Bernadette Brogan's last minute free against us earlier in the year.

It's time for men like Frank Murphy etc to stand up against this favouritism or emigration in this country will increase tenfold to avoid the crap.

And the headline on the Indo today is that Cullen got a job with Leinster rugby and the loss to the GAA. What shagging loss ? So he has finally landed himself a job after spending 10 years in college. I have nothing against Cullen personally as he seems like a decent individual but headline news. No way.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Tc, when we got shafted this this year in Leinster many from that area of the Country said we didn't deserve to win anyway. Now the boots on the other foot there is a different outlook. They should try three years on the spin in multiple matches and then they may know how we felt in July. In fact they still would not get it as they have so many All Ireland's, missing out on another is not the same as busting your gut to close an 83 year gap only to be dumped on by officialdom year after year.

Anyway, that's beside the point. What worries me is the tone of Cooney. It comes across as Dublin need to be successful for the GAA to be successful. That is a dangerous place to be. They talk about being amateur and all that entails and yet at the back of it all they are like any other professional sport where money is king and the more of it they have the better.

Giving out the impression that Dublin winning is a good thing for the GAA is without doubt going to influence referees in the long run. It would be interesting if it was Kerry who were pushing for a winner yesterday would McQuillan be so eager to award a free. Methinks not.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:12 pm

To add even more to the conspiracy Rex. Dublin played 6 matches this year, Joe McQuillan officiated 4 of them.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:25 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
To add even more to the conspiracy Rex. Dublin played 6 matches this year, Joe McQuillan officiated 4 of them.

Where did I put the tin foil.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 am

Ah lads simmer down. Can you honestly picture a scenario where senior GAA officials tell refs to give Dublin frees? If they get the odd easy free it might be down to refs subconsciously wanting to avoid abuse with the 40k or so fans they bring to big games. Also I would think that refs are, deep down, inclined to rule against non-establishment counties.
We've had a few big decisions go against us, it's frustrating, but I don't think there's any conspiracy.
That does not mean, however, that Cooney is not the biggest tool ever to hold office in the GAA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 am

Well the GAA don't cover themselves in glory withthe preferential treatment of Dublin at every opportunity.

Does no one else find it strange that Joe McQuillan officiated Dublin 4 times out of 6?

In their 6 games they had Maurice Deegan, Cormac Reilly and Joe McQuillan. 2 Leinster refs and a Cavan ref who had them 4 times. None too far from Dublin.

And over the entire championship we seen them getting some extremely soft frees. No one can argue that point either. The winning point free was extremely dodgy also.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 am

They got some soft frees, but do you really think they are getting preferential treatment Fionn? What does being from a county close to Dublin have to do with it? Why would referees from Meath, Laois and Cavan be biased in favour of Dublin? By that logic people from Kildare would be biased in favour of Dublin.
Look, they won the AI. They had some good fortune. They're not the first, Gooch has been winning frees the same way McManamon did for years. And Martin Lynch was doing it before him. And as well as good fortune, you need to play good football to win Sam. I'm as disappointed as anyone but we need to suck it up and move on.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 am

Jaysus this is turning into a Dublin forum, how many threads is that now? Every year its the same thing, 12 months ago all the hype was about Cork and how they were going to dominate football for the next decade. Same now, Dublin my arse, good luck and good riddance to them.

Now lets get back to Kildare........
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:41 am

I didn't mean it to turn into a Dublin thread. I was just talking about the idea that the GAA hierarchy seem to see that to be a success off the pitch they need Dublin to be winning on the pitch.

I have never heard a President come out after an All Ireland win and say that because a certain team won that the off field possibilities could be remarkable.

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 am

Stonecold wrote:
Jaysus this is turning into a Dublin forum, how many threads is that now? Every year its the same thing, 12 months ago all the hype was about Cork and how they were going to dominate football for the next decade. Same now, Dublin my arse, good luck and good riddance to them.

+1
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 am

In fairness Rex is right is what he is saying. The role of the President should be impartial and to come out with this article is very strange indeed.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 am

Rex wrote:
I didn't mean it to turn into a Dublin thread. I was just talking about the idea that the GAA hierarchy seem to see that to be a success off the pitch they need Dublin to be winning on the pitch.

I have never heard a President come out after an All Ireland win and say that because a certain team won that the off field possibilities could be remarkable.

Yeah, apologies
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Stonecold

I have no problem with Cork but that other shower.........sorry Evil or Very Mad

No more said as I am looking forward to 2012 already. Anyway , i met the KIldare captain after the game on Sunday and his immediate reaction was that the result suggests that we might be close to winning the big one. And who am I to doubt the great man ?
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:51 am

Stonecold wrote:

Poor Stones

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Remember it the Media Hype , Ink never refuses paper , I doubt that this articule and its contents are anyway true , your been taken in by a media sage !
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
They got some soft frees, but do you really think they are getting preferential treatment Fionn? What does being from a county close to Dublin have to do with it? Why would referees from Meath, Laois and Cavan be biased in favour of Dublin? By that logic people from Kildare would be biased in favour of Dublin.
Look, they won the AI. They had some good fortune. They're not the first, Gooch has been winning frees the same way McManamon did for years. And Martin Lynch was doing it before him. And as well as good fortune, you need to play good football to win Sam. I'm as disappointed as anyone but we need to suck it up and move on.

Not a conspiracy theory man myself O2 but I do think the Croke Park situation regarding the league is preferential and I don't know what other way you could interpret the postponement of the county's Leinster championship date... "special circumstances"... what special circumstances? They got to an All-Ireland? Don't recall this being done for anyone else before and we all know plenty instances of teams playing provincial championship games the day after winning a county final, as well as instances where a county had no representatives. Yeah, they reached an All_Ireland but they're not the first team in history to do that.

However, the refereeing thing, I don't buy, even if McQuillan gave them so much on Sunday. He's just a bad referee in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney   "Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Dublin's win is due to my involvement". Christy Cooney
Page 1 of 1