Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.

Go down 
+14
kelf
BelieveToAchieve
shoutitout
Ohtoohtobe
all_star
Come on the Boys in Blue
Taibi
le hit in
Loads of Pints
jj
GaaHead
Big Full Back
lilywhites on tour
walsheman
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Empty
PostSubject: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 am

I've heard from some very reliable sources that Anthony Rainbow is set to be ratified at the next Carlow County Board meeting as a selector with the Carlow Senior Football team.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 am

what is the point in that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:17 am

I have my own opinion on all this which I'll be keeping to myself for now but I will say I admire the ambition in moving to Carlow.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 am

Fairplay anthony, you will be a great addition to the setup. Getting manegerial experience for the intercounty I suspect.....
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am

Ger McNally has tweeted it and it's in tomorrow's Nationalist.
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 am

I wonder is there something behind this???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am

GaaHead wrote:
I wonder is there something behind this???

I have my own theory on this, I believe there is.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am

spill the beans so fionn I'm intrigued !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:29 am

We'll see when it's announced jj, and see what reasons rainbow gives himself first.

I presume there will be something on it in the Carlow and Kildare nationalist tomorrow.

Only thing I will say is that there is absolutely no footballers in Carlow, none. Also The commitment there would be on a par with some Junior clubs in Kildare. There were times last year when there were 11/12 players training for them. Not to mention that the Kildare Juniors played them in a challenge game last year in Palatine and I think beat them.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

fionnmccool wrote:
We'll see when it's announced jj, and see what reasons rainbow gives himself first.

I presume there will be something on it in the Carlow and Kildare nationalist tomorrow.

Only thing I will say is that there is absolutely no footballers in Carlow, none. Also The commitment there would be on a par with some Junior clubs in Kildare. There were times last year when there were 11/12 players training for them. Not to mention that the Kildare Juniors played them in a challenge game last year in Palatine and I think beat them.

thats a shocking statement Fionn

did carlow not win their first game in years last summer?

what about Brendan Murphy?

did they not have a minor team in leinster final 3/4 years ago? Id have Carlow on a par now as what we were the year before Geezer took over.
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 am

As Micko says there are 15 good footballers in every County.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I think you are been very harsh there Fionn, the problem in Carlow is that Club football takes precedence over the county set-up due to personality clashes in the CCB.

I work with alot of lads from Carlow and can tell you that they have very good footballers but they are not playing on the county team. Eire Og if I remember correctly got to a club All Ireland final not so long ago.

Remember they beat Louth this year which is something we didn't come close to doing in 2010 so you're point is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I would be of the opinion that his apprenticeship would be better served within Kildare , no disrespect to Carlow or its clubs, but if this is how he wishes to serve his time I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours , lets hope he returns with all the tools necessary to bring Klidare forward if he ever enters the ring in years to come.
Back to top Go down
all_star
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Is it just me or is every thread here rife with rumours and hear say...last week we were being told rainbow was to be an u21 selector, the week before we were told cribben was to be the next u21 manager
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Fionn, have you ever watched Brendan Murphy or Mark Carpenter play? That's just a false statement.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Luke Dempsey was told at the last county board meeting in Carlow that he had to have an ex county player with him as part of his mangement team or he would not get the job next year. If this is to be Rainbow so be it. Dempesy is a good manager who is tring to change the attitude of the players in Carlow and I think if Rainbow was along side him they would both benifit from it.

Carlow have good players, it is getting them to commit is their problem. They had the smallest county panel last year with only 23 players but still managed to beat Louth and but for a poor ref would have beating Antrim also.

If Rainbow is going all the best to him and Carlow.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:57 pm

all_star wrote:
Is it just me or is every thread here rife with rumours and hear say...last week we were being told rainbow was to be an u21 selector, the week before we were told cribben was to be the next u21 manager

Its an internet forum it's usually what happens all-star !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Brendan Murphy and possibly one or 2 others aside there is little or no football in Carlow. Its not a false statement. That is a fact.
Every county in Ireland would have one or 2 quality footballers, but thats not enough.

I seen Carlow play the Kildare Juniors several times this year, not including any of the Kildare Senior panlists at the time and it was really poor stuff.

To say they are on the same level as Kildare when McGeeney took over is a false statement. They beat Louth due to the Louth team being unrecognisable from the one who contested the previous years Leinster Final due to emigration.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 pm

I wouldn't say they are at the same level as Kildare 2008 but to say there is no football there is a bit harsh. A very strong club scene, a team in a Leinster minor final in 2007, and a win over Louth last year all point to 'football'. Now they do have a problem getting a lot of very good footballers to commit to county football.
They can compete at club level (and always do - look at the results, the Carlow champions are always competitive) better than county most years because of this commitment problem and also because of weight of numbers. Remember, there are less than half the number of football clubs in Carlow than there is in Kildare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm

At the moment, despite beating Louth last year they are the poorest outfit in Leinster.

Dublin
Kildare
Meath
Wexford
Laois
Longford
Westmeath
Wicklow
Louth
Offaly
Carlow

Managing a decent Senior or Intermediate club side in Kildare would be much better in my opinion than being a selector on the Carlow team. That's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 pm

If Rainbow wants to go get invloved with Carlow - then let him. He has dabbled in management in recent years without any great success and didnt get any great references either.

Its not going to impact much on Kildare for 2012 and thats all that counts. He was a paid statistician last year, Im sure we can find somebody else willing to take up the job.

Carlow football - I dont rate. Yes they have a couple of decent players but their attitude and application has been terrible down through the years. I have played against Carlow teams in the past and have never seen anything that would frighten me.
Kildare man Declan McGovern made some huge strides down there a few years ago, he managed their minors to a Leinster final and then an All-Ireland quarter final. They prob do have the makings of a decent team, one which could do well in the back door series. I dont see them influencing Leinster any time soon though.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Kildare man Declan McGovern: Since when is Kilcormack part of Kildare
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 pm

jj wrote:
all_star wrote:

Its an internet forum it's usually what happens all-star !

An internet forum in the off-season at that.
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Rainbows only a pup in terms of Inter county management experience. Will be a great experience for him and I wish him the very best of luck. He'll definitely gain invaluable experience on the tougher side of intercounty football. I say tougher in terms of the counties ability and structure etc compared to Kildare's since McGeeney took charge. He's a good addition for Carlow.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 8:12 pm

What would Rainbow learn if he was to stay part of Geezer's team. He has played under the man the last couple of years so knows the way he runs his camp. Also not saying I know how the camp works but I get the feeling Geezer has the main say in things and everyone else togs along. Dont get me wrong I think that is why the man is good at the job.
If Rainbow goes to Carlow I think he will have a bigger say in things which will give him the opportunity to learn a lot more and maybe some day come back to us knowing more than when he went.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.   Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anthony Rainbow to be Carlow selector.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next