Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new kildare selector

Go down 
+13
bag of white
kartman
murof
kickingking
egocentric
Ohtoohtobe
lillyboy
flourman
BelieveToAchieve
Ogie
overthebar
Bad News Baba
Botch
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

new kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Leinster Leader saying Rafferty has now left Kildare as selector and Damien Hendy is coming in. Any truth in that?
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Not sure what to make of this if it is true.

What does Hendy bring to the table that could improve us?
Is he not in line for an underage team namely the U21's?
Does he have any experience in the role?

It's bit left field for me this if true ans since McGeeney has not been officially ratified I would be skeptical just yet.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:14 am

Hard to see Hendy been up to senior selector.......or would he be just another yes man for the manager....??????? a good selector imo must be able to challenge the manager and his fellow selectors on the various team selections and tactics on any given day and not just tow the party line and agree with what the manager says..........
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 am

spartacus wrote:
Not sure what to make of this if it is true.

What does Hendy bring to the table that could improve us?
Is he not in line for an underage team namely the U21's?
Does he have any experience in the role?

It's bit left field for me this if true ans since McGeeney has not been officially ratified I would be skeptical just yet.

McGeeney was ratified two years ago for three years.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 am

overthebar wrote:
Hard to see Hendy been up to senior selector.......or would he be just another yes man for the manager....??????? a good selector imo must be able to challenge the manager and his fellow selectors on the various team selections and tactics on any given day and not just tow the party line and agree with what the manager says..........

Do tell us who the other yes men have been in the senior set-up?
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 am

Why do people assume there is an issue with Geezers term as manager. The only question on the table at present is whether he wants to continure or not. He was ratified for a 3 year term 2 years ago. Do the math.
The recent CB meeting showed the majority of the clubs in the county want him to stay on. SO the decision to stay is his and his alone.

I don't know if theres any truth in the rumour about Hendy. And I fail to see why people questiuon what he would bring to the setup. But out of interest OTB, what previous selectors are you calling yes men??

In truth, I was hoping there would be 2 new selectors. So who knows what the coming days will bring.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:02 am

Pretty sure Hendy was involved in the senior setup last year. I would hope / expect somebody with more experience will replace Rafferty.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 am

Is Aidan O'Rourke available again (I believe so, from Hoganstand) / if so think it would good to try get him back on board.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 am

IMO n carew and j raferty are......carew to me has very little input in descisions made with the senior squad, also the two other selectors i.e. grimley and o'rourke were they main men that challenged major calls made by geezer on team selection when they were involved and imo they were strong mentors and we played better and were harder to beat when these men were there......think that raferty and carew just aren't strong enough and just follow what ever greezer says......just my opinion lads......
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 am

John Rafferty was primarily brought in as a coach and is very highly regarded, its obviously a huge commitment at inter county level and when you add in travel time etc its understandable that he's not returning. Damien Hendy seemed popular with the U/21's and would be part of the set up. I'm sure a lot of advice stats etc are available on match day but the final call rests with the manager in the modern era and probably always did.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 am

People are purely guessing when they're assessing these selectors.
How in the name of God would someone outside the panel know what contribution Carew, Grimley, O'Rourke or Rafferty did/didn't make.
To me the formula people are going by seems to be: Kildare had a good year = selector was good/Kildare had a bad year = selector was bad.
Players and the manager have something to do with results as well. Like it amazes me that people can criticise Rafferty with such conviction. If we'd got a handy draw and made it to an AI semi like we did in 2010 we'd be hearing how he was a great addition.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:45 am

Well considering the panel has been virtually the same over the last 5 years / with the main selectors (Grimley / O'Rourke & Rafferty) changing each year - its safe the assume that the role played by this main selector is of huge importance. O2be you may think this is simplistic but the results don't lie / as stated by Overthebar we played far better football and were harder to beat under previous selectors.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 am

Let me get this straight, Flourman, you're basically saying the only variable from one year to the next is the selector?
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 am

Carew biggest YES man in the county..

He's just there to say yes..

Yes Geezer, Yes Geezer, Yes Geezer
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Let me get this straight, Flourman, you're basically saying the only variable from one year to the next is the selector?

Where did I write that / read the post properly before spouting rubbish.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 am

It's impossible to judge a selector without being privy to what goes on inside the panel. We're only dealing with rumour and conjecture. I think it's good to see another Kildare man on the coaching ticket anyway. Damien Hendy gave a good ten years service to white jersey and never let anyone down.

Are the senior management taking over the u21s next year too does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

yeah from what i am told theylook after the u-21 panel also
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 pm

flourman wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

Where did I write that / read the post properly before spouting rubbish.

You said 'the results don't lie' and I interpreted that as meaning if we had bad results one year and good the next and there's a different selector, then the difference in results must be down to the selector.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 pm

No indeed the results and performances don't lie - and I believe that the main selector involved in training the team has a big part to play in the results.
Rafferty took most training sessions last year and must take his fair share of responsibility for poor results and poor performances.

Both Grimley and O'Rourke received plenty of plaudits when they were involved - and both received great praise for Kildare's style of play, mentality & defensive fortitude when involved.

To say this is the only changing variable from 1 year to the next is ridiculous, and nowhere did I state this - but in my opinion he does have huge responsibility within the setup.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Well maybe I overstated it but that is essentially what your saying - the team doing well means the selector was good, the team doing badly means the selector was bad. I think this is simplistic and as KickingKing says above, it's speculation. Unless you're a Kildare player or very close to the panel, you've no way of fairly judging the worth of a selector's work.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 am

Obviously I do not know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Carew had a big say or maybe he was just a yes man. That seems to be devided. But I do know this. It is very important to have good strong minded selectors who give their own opinions.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
you've no way of fairly judging the worth of a selector's work.

1. Results
2. Style of play
3. Players attitude in training and in games
4. Tactics employed during a game

Oh2be - none of the above give you a hint - No?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 am

This is some of the maddest stuff I've seen ever. So now the selector's position has suddenly taken on a more important role than the manager's?!

I remember lads on here saying early in the league the first year after Grimley was gone (2010) that his tactical knowledge during games was badly missed. As if anyone here would have a clue what he's like during a game. Anyway, a few months later, O'Rourke was the second coming and Grimley was over-rated.

Now, lads who haven't a clue again are saying it was Rafferty's fault we had a crap year. And Carew's, even though he was there the good years too (obviously that can only be 2010 as it was the only year that was better than this year). Lads have absolutely no notion. For example, the seven or eight hours spent analysing the tapes after a game, the individual meetings with players, the forwards coaching, the backs coaching, the collective coaching... one fella doesn't do all that. You can't just come out with stuff like that and say 'in my opinion'. What's that opinion based on?

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 am

flourman wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
you've no way of fairly judging the worth of a selector's work.

1. Results
2. Style of play
3. Players attitude in training and in games
4. Tactics employed during a game

Oh2be - none of the above give you a hint - No?

No. Those things give me a hint how the manager and players are doing. Selectors have a role to play but placing the blame for any of those four things being off at the door of a selector is crazy. They're an important but small part of a very big and complex set of factors around any team.

I agree with Ogie's example about Grimley. When the next year didn't start well, if I'd got a penny for every time someone said to me 'see, Grimley was the brains behind the operation' I'd have had well, about 70p or 80p.

Again, unless you're a Kildare player or a lot of Kildare players share their private opinions on selectors with you, you have no way of knowing how good a selector is.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 am

Have McGeeney, Carew or Rafferty/Hendy being seen at any club games in the last few weeks? We all agree we need to strengthen the panel so I hope they have been busy looking at players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new kildare selector   new kildare selector Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new kildare selector
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next