Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

kildare selector

Go down 
+26
topcat
flourman
Botch
if_in_doubt
murof
carburyman
kickingking
micky murphy
Ohtoohtobe
ccm1
Ogie
Sam1928
parcel
the big cal
Come on the Boys in Blue
lastline
Rex
sillycow
Loads of Pints
tomcruise
kartman
tpos
BelieveToAchieve
ChopperDalton
walsheman
centreback
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 pm

ive heard from a few people now that mark brophy of athy has been approached by mcgeeney for the selector job anyone any info on this?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 pm

i was told that it would be some1 from outside the county and have met a couple of people already
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 am

McConville is new manager of Dundalk IT so that rumour put to bed about him
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 am

I heard the McConville story a few weeks ago. The way it was put to me was that he'd been offered a 2 year term. Obviously that wasn't the case, or perhaps he turned it down?!

I don't know anything about Brophy. Who is he? What would make him suitable for the job? And before anybody gets hypersensitive, thats not insulting the man. Its me asking a question.

Personally, I am hoping for somebody from outside the county.
Back to top Go down
tpos
Senior
Senior

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:46 am

Why would we get a selector from outside the county and why are they not appointed before the club championships take place
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:58 am

Because any success we've had has been under guys with no allegiences or loyalties to any club or players. Coming from the outside allows them survey whats in front of them, preventing any politics or favouritism from stifling progress.

Players like Peter Kelly, Rob Kelly, Morgan Flaherty, and Hugh McGrillan were all ignore by inhouse managers (at various age levels) but it took an outside management team (by and large) to find them and give them their oppertunity.

I know there are plenty of peoplewho feel we should have local selectors and managers. I just don't agree.

Each to their own....
Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:58 am

tpos wrote:
Why would we get a selector from outside the county and why are they not appointed before the club championships take place

Hard to find the right man i suppose,and harder to convince him to come on board.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 am

I am hearing Dessie Farrell from Dublin
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 am

bit of a conflict of interest there considering his role with the GPA?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:09 am

tomcruise wrote:
was he not dublin minor manager this year?
Back to top Go down
sillycow
Intermediate
Intermediate

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 am

kevin o brien from baltinglass in wicklow is my bet.
Back to top Go down

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am

Loads of Pints wrote:

No, he's over the Dublin minor team at the moment. And by all accounts they are very impressive.

His role in the GPA would have no effect. Sure isn't our very own Roli Sweeney Secretary of the GPA.

I heard Kevin O'Brien who is currently over Rathvilly in Carlow is in the running, also heard Ciaran Whelan from Dublin and Francie Bellew from Armagh.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:37 am

The one team we have trouble getting our heads around is Dublin. If someone like Farrell came in he would certainly give the lads an extra edge there. He also won't have travel issues.

It will be interesting to see who does come in.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 am

fionnmccool wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:

No, he's over the Dublin minor team at the moment. And by all accounts they are very impressive.

His role in the GPA would have no effect. Sure isn't our very own Roli Sweeney Secretary of the GPA.

I heard Kevin O'Brien who is currently over Rathvilly in Carlow is in the running, also heard Ciaran Whelan from Dublin and Francie Bellew from Armagh.

doubt it will be whealan anyway. he is involved with one of the dublin north development squads. the manager stays with each team there from the time they get together at u13 until they are minor. dessie farrell would be in his 5th year with the current minors.
Back to top Go down
tpos
Senior
Senior

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:09 am

Do I get the impression that unless we pay a friend of the managers big travelling exp that they are unacceptable ?
Back to top Go down

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 am

tpos wrote:
Do I get the impression that unless we pay a friend of the managers big travelling exp that they are unacceptable ?

unacceptable to who tpos?

To be fair anyone who has been appointed so far has been part of an All Ireland winning side and know what it takes.

My own impression is that there is no one in Kildare up to the job.

As a matter of interest tpos, who do you suggest yourself?
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:35 am

ManBearPig wrote:
tomcruise wrote:
was he not dublin minor manager this year?

Still is till the minor final , has been with that group of players since they were 13 yrs old , I think he should progress with them to U21 , a bit like what Mickey Harte did , worth the chance to see if it works out , Whelan following the same program also with the U13s

In ref to topic , i am sure there are people within kildare that are up to the task from successful minor/U21 team club/county in the last 5 yrs ,the question is are they willing to take up the challange , along side Mcgeeney
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Agree with Tpos on this. We shold have someone from within our county to act as a selector. There are enough over and under counter payments as expenses going out. Austerity and keep it local!
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 pm

the big cal wrote:
Agree with Tpos on this. We shold have someone from within our county to act as a selector. There are enough over and under counter payments as expenses going out. Austerity and keep it local!

sure isnt there enough money collected at the gates from players to fund these? Wink

any outside selector we have brought in under mcgeeney has had a positive influence on the team, ask any of the players!! would like to see someone come in that would provide a new impetus to the attack, that team cant get much fitter and stronger or they arent going to improve much more on their defensive exploits, now it should all be about end product
Back to top Go down

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 pm

the big cal wrote:

Thats the key word there small cal, couldn't have put it better myself.
Back to top Go down
tpos
Senior
Senior

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:10 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
tpos wrote:

unacceptable to who tpos?

To be fair anyone who has been appointed so far has been part of an All Ireland winning side and know what it takes.

My own impression is that there is no one in Kildare up to the job.

As a matter of interest tpos, who do you suggest yourself?
The Minor and U21 managers of the last 5 years ?? What have they learned and can they put it to use.
Back to top Go down

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

tpos wrote:

The Minor and U21 managers of the last 5 years ?? What have they learned and can they put it to use.

Alan Barry and Brian Murphy?

In fairness tpos. Alan Barry was a great servant to Kildare but I dont feel he is up to the task of assistant manager to our senior team when he struggled with the u21's

There is also a lot of players currently on the Senior Panel that could not make his previous u21 panels and teams.

Brian Murphy should cut his teeth at u21 level first before considering a Senior set up.

There is a big difference in coaching kids and coaching grown men, he may have club experience , I'm not sure but This is Intercounty Senior level.

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 pm

its gonna be some1 from outside the county so no point naming people in kildare!!FACT
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Eh....could be Eddie McCormack Smile
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Jimmy white wrote:
Eh....could be Eddie McCormack Smile
i wish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

kildare selector Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

kildare selector
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next