Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

kildare selector

Go down 
+26
topcat
flourman
Botch
if_in_doubt
murof
carburyman
kickingking
micky murphy
Ohtoohtobe
ccm1
Ogie
Sam1928
parcel
the big cal
Come on the Boys in Blue
lastline
Rex
sillycow
Loads of Pints
tomcruise
kartman
tpos
BelieveToAchieve
ChopperDalton
walsheman
centreback
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

kildare selector - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:09 pm

What qualifies you as a selector?? Seriously I'd like to know what people think makes a good selector.

In my opinion it would have to be someone with knowledge of the local scene, dedication to putting in the hours going to games and has played the game at a decent level, good interpersonal skills and would be respected by all and sundry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 pm

This is assistant manager rather than selector.

Knowledge of the local scene I think should not come into it. That way you have no pre conceived notions on players in the County.

To be an intercounty assistant or selector or whatever the term you would like to apply to it, I would say you would have to have had previous experience at managing at a top level.

Senior Club/Intermediate and Colleges level you would want to have had success relative to the side you are managing or coaching.

You need to be a very good to excellent coach,have knowledge of modern coaching drills and knowledge of modern fitness techniques although most intercounty teams now have a strength and conditioning coach. But you should still know this a you will be taking coaching drills.

Interpersonal skills is important as they need to be able to interact with players and get their point across. Dedication won't be an issue as someone who should not even be considered for this position unless they eat, sleep and drink football and with that comes attending games or Trial matches.

There is too much money involved and players, backroom staff, committee , grounds men, kit men , maor uisce are giving so much of their time and effort for the best possible appointment not to be made on this. Its as simple as that in my head. Why settle for second best.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:10 pm

I would imagine Carew is the token local selector, why would Geezer appoint somebody else local for the sake of it?

Brian Murphy has been a senior selector before and has found a niche at underage. Neither Alan Barry or Eddie mcCormack have done anything with the U/21's over the last few years.
Geezers selections to date have been top class. Grimley set the bar when he came in 4 years ago and Aiden O'Rourke raised it again. Julie Davis has us fitter ans stronger than any Kildare team I remember.
I don't think there is anybody suitable within the county at present who could take things to a level above what O'Rourke did.

I agree with you Fionn another token in-house selector would be settling for second best and selling the panel short.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
tpos wrote:

The Minor and U21 managers of the last 5 years ?? What have they learned and can they put it to use.

Alan Barry and Brian Murphy?

In fairness tpos. Alan Barry was a great servant to Kildare but I dont feel he is up to the task of assistant manager to our senior team when he struggled with the u21's

There is also a lot of players currently on the Senior Panel that could not make his previous u21 panels and teams.

Brian Murphy should cut his teeth at u21 level first before considering a Senior set up.

There is a big difference in coaching kids and coaching grown men, he may have club experience , I'm not sure but This is Intercounty Senior level.

Not that I'm arguing one way or the other, but for the sake of accuracy, Brian Murphy has already been a senior selector under Padraig Nolan.

I'm not sure either if there is actually a position of assistant manager going. I'm not sure that position has ever actually existed.

From what I can gather with the Kildare set-up, being a selector isn't the same as being a selector with the oul club - there are very significant coaching requirements so it has to be guys who know their eggs. Just being an ex-player, or a lad who's done the level 1 coaching course won't cut it. My gut would be that it would be someone from outside and that Murph would get a go at the U21s if he actually wants it. Given the coaching input, it's very harsh on Carew to be called the 'token' local selector. I mean he was, to the extent that at the start, Geezer wanted one local man. People make judgements on him without ever seeing a training session or knowing his role, just cos he serves as the management's voice in the media (and people presume he's mouthing off when he's actually delivering a message, whether you agree with it or not). It's like when people were on here about Grimley's prowess during games and how that would be a loss... how the fuck did anyone know that?

Anyway, Geezer brought on Grimley and Aidan O'Rourke, and they were top class, so I trust him not to just bring in a friend for the sake of it. If he brings in his former team-mate Farrell, it'll be because he rates him. I would find it fierce hard to look at Whelan though
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Maybe Im being unfair to Carew by labelling him the 'token local'. But that was certainly his role when Geezer arrived first. Obviously he is ticking all the boxes since then or he would'nt be still in the job. I dont know the man so I have nothing good or bad to say about him.

Of course its obvious that he's the messenger to the media whenever Geezer wants a point made. Theres no way he'd be still in there if he was talking shite to the papers willy nilly.

Agree wholeheartedly Ogie, whoever Geezer chooses will be the right man for the job. And wilth young guys like Padraig Fogarty, Ciaran Graven, Darroch Mulhall and others, all showing promise. I think the Kildare glass is more than half full.
Back to top Go down
ccm1
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

FW i Think your very quick and wrong with your assumption about Niall Carew being a token selector ....... somehow i doubt if you would get up at 7 in the morning to go and do separate sessions with the team and this separate to the regular sessions look at dvds of the oppostions backs and pass information to the forwards meet them all separately to go through game plans . ask any of the players the lad puts in great work for kildare ........... and people like you just Imagine and assume !!!!
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 4:03 pm

FuturesWhite wrote:
Maybe Im being unfair to Carew by labelling him the 'token local'. But that was certainly his role when Geezer arrived first. Obviously he is ticking all the boxes since then or he would'nt be still in the job. I dont know the man so I have nothing good or bad to say about him.

Of course its obvious that he's the messenger to the media whenever Geezer wants a point made. Theres no way he'd be still in there if he was talking shite to the papers willy nilly.

Agree wholeheartedly Ogie, whoever Geezer chooses will be the right man for the job. And wilth young guys like Padraig Fogarty, Ciaran Graven, Darroch Mulhall and others, all showing promise. I think the Kildare glass is more than half full.

Take your foot out of your mouth and read all the posts ccm pffffffffffffffffttttt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 pm

FuturesWhite wrote:

Where did you pull this out of? He hasn't been involved with Kildare since the u21's a few seasons back.

McGeeney is fairly adamant that you want to cut it at Senior level, you cut your teeth with the Juniors at some stage first.

A good footballer but plenty ahead of him at the moment who should be given a shot.

I expect Darroch Mulhall, Fogarty, Hurley, Kevin Feely (if he has no soccer commitments) to be all given a chance and maybe some more of these Athy young lads should they win the County Championship.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Selector , Assistant Manager, Waterboy...whatever??? Im confused.

Selector I see as someone who should know what we have availiable in Kildare and watches as much football as possible.

Assistant Manager is a whole different kettle of fish.

For the record "trials" are a terrible way of selecting guys unless you run a load of them with the same players to give everyone a chance. Do we still do this?
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
FuturesWhite wrote:

Where did you pull this out of? He hasn't been involved with Kildare since the u21's a few seasons back.

McGeeney is fairly adamant that you want to cut it at Senior level, you cut your teeth with the Juniors at some stage first.

A good footballer but plenty ahead of him at the moment who should be given a shot.

I expect Darroch Mulhall, Fogarty, Hurley, Kevin Feely (if he has no soccer commitments) to be all given a chance and maybe some more of these Athy young lads should they win the County Championship.

He spent last year with the juniors and got little look in with seniors. Can say he def played 60 mins in all juniors matches last year.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry Fionn, I meant Ciaran Kelly of Moorefield. But since the name slipped in there, yeah Graven must be one for the future aswell.

Of course the senior B is a good launch pad for any budding senior star. Has Mulhall or any of the other names you mentioned played there yet? I'd say Fionn Dowling could do with a spell there aswell to bring him on a touch.

Still and all..........the Future is white lol
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Jesus lads I can't believe this Dessie talk. Surely he'd be too patriotic to do it. And surely we'd be too patriotic to have him. Even if his auld boy is a Lily.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Sounds like it is going to be an outsider.... didn't see Anthony Rainbow named as a potential... mightn't have a lot of experience but knows what is takes....
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 am

Rainbow is too nice a guy. Cant see him crossing the line and laying down the law with guys. Would be useful in another role maybe??
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

And would he have the necessary coaching experience? Because make no mistake, the selector has to be hands-on and will be responsible to a huge degree for what happens on the pitch
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 pm

He's getting on a bit now but would it be worth sounding out Tommy Carew if we want someone from within the county?
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 2:25 am

Are you takin the piss. No offence but NO WAY
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Heard yesterday that Big Joe Kernin was asked
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Talk about a role reversal. A few heads would explode on here just thinking about the mileage.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Surely it should be possible to recruit a forward coach from somewhere nearer than Armagh. The travel eventually grinds them down and the expense involved might not be affordable in the future. How about someone like Declan Browne of Tipp? He was a class forward who might be interested in a professional set up like Kildare. Any other names spring to mind?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 pm

carburyman wrote:
Heard yesterday that Big Joe Kernin was asked

I presume this is sarcasm!!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:50 am

Sure why not go all out and bring in another goalkeeping coach while we're at it?

We might see less dodgey decisions by umpires come our way with this chap around...

kildare selector - Page 2 Curran13

On a serious note I'd imagine that the best person available will be brought it regardless of whether they're a native or an outsider. Like has been said though, those from outside appear to have more of an impact for whatever reason.

Declan Browne as mentioned could well be a potential option for a forwards coach if we're looking a bit closer to home than Armagh. Not many other names that are popping out at me at the moment, maybe somebody along the lines of Matty Forde or Vinny Claffey, or even Beano McDonald?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:36 am

Beano McDonald.... I thought you were hitting a more serious note.

Beano couldn commit to train himself with Laois in his playing days for well documented reasons , I don't think he'd be able to commit to coaching another counties forwards.

Just because you were a good forward doesn't mean you can transfer that into a coaching capacity.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 am

I think there has been some very good forwards in kildare over the years and someone from the county is a real option. Liam Mcloughlin former straffan coach. Jarleth Gilroy Ballymore. Eddie McCormack Clane. Saw Carl Dwyer at final at weekend. Someone drom that era who does not know the players personally but would know about the players on the field and br up to date on modern playing methods, training, coaching etc
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:06 am

Jarleth Gilroy - ah come on man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kildare selector   kildare selector - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

kildare selector
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next