Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Expectations for 2013

Go down 
+5
Come on the Boys in Blue
Rex
kickingking
topcat
murof
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Expectations for 2013  Empty
PostSubject: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 am

Well lads. Its December. Round 1 of the O'Byrne cup is merely weeks away. 6th January to be exact.

What are people expectations for the year. Below are the 11 fixtures we have at the moment for certain. Everything else is dependent on how we do. So how will we do. How do we see it panning out. What would people like to see in terms of personnel changes, positional changes?

O'Byrne Cup - Not sure if anyone noticed but there is a midweek game in the O'Byrne cup next year.

Kildare v Carlow - Newbridge 6th Jan
Kildare v DIT - Kildare Venue (with lights) 9th Jan
Kildare v Wexford - Newbridge 13th Jan

Divison 1 League 2013

Kildare v Donegal
Kildare v Dublin
Kildare v Tyrone
Kildare v Kerry

Cork v Kildare
Mayo v Kildare
Down v Kildare

Championship 2013

Kildare v Offaly
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Have to say that my expectations for 2013 are lower than any time since 2008 but here goes.

1. Try out as many new players as possible in the O'Byrne Cup and be imaginative in positional changes unlike last year, Sweeney at midfield! Counties like Meath and Down have won all irelands by switching players from full back to midfield and forwards to backs.

2. Survive in Div 1. We can only hope Donegal winter well and we start with a win. Probably will need at least 6 pts to stay up and it will be tough but possible.

3. Radically change our training to produce more explosive power rather than the slow beefed up specimen we seem to have ended up with.

4. Appoint a top forward coach who has been successful at the highest level as selector. I hope the rumours about McConville are true as he would be the perfect choice.

5. Hope we all retain the faith and continue to travel in force to all matches. The players deserve some reward for all the effort they have put in.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 am

Similar to murof my expectations are quite low.

If we stay in Division 1 I would deem 2013 a success to be honest. Taking Dublin's crown in Leinster or winning an All-Ireland is probably beyond this group of players but the only way we are going to get closer to achieving them goals is by staying at the top table in the League as it will give us games against the top teams every year.

The lack of new players in the panel means that it is unlikely we are going to get drastic improvement on last year.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 3:15 am

It's hard to be overly hopeful. Things need to be freshened up a bit but there is always a bit of a bedding in period with new players starting off and the learning curve will be quite steep in the top division. I think we might have to endure a few tough days out in the league but it might benefit us come championship time. We should beat Offaly and hopefully we can put it up to the Dubs. Chances are we'll have another run through the backdoor followed by an August defeat to one of the provincial winners.

A provincial title at minor or u21 would be great and would be just reward for the work put in at underage in recent years.

Hopefully there's less of the off the field and media nonsense that dogged us for much of this year - finances, Johnston, matches being moved from Conleth's etc.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 am

I've no expectations what so ever. The Cork debacle knocked the stuffing out of me as a supporter and even though I look forward to each season I can't get optimistic when I think of next year. Maybe they will surprise me and pull something out of the fire, who knows what the coming year brings. What needs to happen is a fresh approach. The rumours of certain selectors is encouraging but until they are confirmed it's up in the air. Training direction and player profiles needs to turn towards speed instead of bulk.
The first battle needs winning off the pitch instead of on it. League games must be kept in Newbridge, lose that and the tone for the year is set.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Honest opinion Rolling Eyes

Kildare v Carlow - Newbridge 6th Jan KILDARE WIN
Kildare v DIT - Kildare Venue (with lights) 9th Jan KILDARE WIN
Kildare v Wexford - Newbridge 13th Jan KILDARE WIN

Divison 1 League 2013

Kildare v Donegal DONEGAL WIN
Kildare v Dublin DUBLIN WIN
Kildare v Tyrone KILDARE WIN
Kildare v Kerry KERRY WIN

Cork v Kildare CORK WIN
Mayo v Kildare MAYO WIN
Down v Kildare DOWN WIN

Championship 2013

Kildare v Offaly[/quote] KILDARE WIN

The way i see it currently Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 am

Jaysus Vodafone, we're depressed enough without that doomsday scenario. Do you really think we will beat Tyrone or did you just throw that in as a token victory to keep the natives happy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 am

Honestly Vodafone.

Expectations for 2013  Luis-g10
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Fecking Michael " Vodafone" Noonan how are ya . Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
KFSAM

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

I'm with Rex. Cork defeat last year really hammered home the fact that our chance of some silverware with this group of players has come and gone. McGeeney always said it's a mental thing and he was spot on. Right now they just don't have and never had the mental strength required to take that extra step and make that breakthrough.

Judging by the minor and u21 teams of the last few years we're banjaxed because they too have proven to be weak when it matters most. How that minor team of 2010 didnt at least win a Leinster is all the proof thats needed. If they were from a top county they'd have swept all before them.

Hope I'm wrong but the prospects for Kildare football are bleak. Recently read an article written by Eugene McGee in 1972 when he was writing for the Irish Press and absolutely everything he said back then stands today. By and large the county board over the last 40 years have destroyed a county with some potential.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 am

vodafone2012 wrote:

Honest opinion Rolling Eyes

Kildare v Carlow - Newbridge 6th Jan KILDARE WIN
Kildare v DIT - Kildare Venue (with lights) 9th Jan KILDARE WIN
Kildare v Wexford - Newbridge 13th Jan KILDARE WIN

Divison 1 League 2013

Kildare v Donegal DONEGAL WIN
Kildare v Dublin DUBLIN WIN
Kildare v Tyrone KILDARE WIN
Kildare v Kerry KERRY WIN

Cork v Kildare CORK WIN
Mayo v Kildare MAYO WIN
Down v Kildare DOWN WIN

Championship 2013

Kildare v Offaly KILDARE WIN

The way i see it currently Rolling Eyes

Ah don't be like that now, maybe McGeeney will call up the entire Towers minor team, surely we'd do well then? Suspect

As has been mentioned, expectations for next year are lower than they have been for the last three or four years.

If we can survive in the top division and blood some of the younger players in doing so then that will put us in a good position going forward, probably won't see the benefit of playing the big teams regularly and early in the year until we've had a year or two at it though, surviving this year at the top table could stand to us more in 2014 than this year. Whether McGeeney is here for that is a separate debate altogether.

Wouldn't hold up too much hope of success at underage level in football. If lads are forced to choose between college football and the under 21 team then we'll surely have a weaker team than previously anticipated. Our minors, despite doing well in development squads / under 16, never seem to carry things over to the under 18 grade, the Dubs will probably walk through Leinster again.

Be great to see the hurlers survive in Division 2A too, be a big step up for them at least. Also be great to see us take the next step at underage level in hurling, an All Ireland at minor or under 21 level would be a big boost and a massive achievement.

Still though if we get a decent run through the qualifiers, make the last eight and get drawn against Mayo we'd be in with an outside shot of making the semi, anything can happen from there.

A man can dream...
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm surprised the doom and gloom has started so early... lads are likely to be in some state by March or April, before the serious stuff gets going at all... don't think this will help as Johnny D is still considering whether to come back next year. My gut says he will... that might just be my heart talking though. Dermot intends to return if the knee rehab continues in the right direction.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=2374
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:17 am

murof wrote:
Jaysus Vodafone, we're depressed enough without that doomsday scenario. Do you really think we will beat Tyrone or did you just throw that in as a token victory to keep the natives happy?

League wise

Well Tyrone are rebuilding so I would say Kildare are a little more advance ability wise As for Cork & Kerry well they are hard to beat. Home or away. Down its all on the day but Newry is a horrible place to go too looking for results. Now Dublin. In croker you will find it hard. But if its in newbridge that could balance the scales Donegal I think won't slip to far from their peak mc guineass is to cute for that if he intends to defend the crown. Which I think they are well capable of doing surprising enough As for Mayo they are can blow hot and dry on the day. But usually castlebar is hard to get a result

All kildare can do is get 6 points from somewhere If they can achieve that it shall be progress I. Regards to staying in top flight football and playing regularly against the top 8 I posted this time last year if KIldare take one step at a time building they should or could get some silverware. I predicted 2014. I will stick by that ;-)
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 am

Johnny Maher wrote:
Honestly Vodafone.

Expectations for 2013  Luis-g10

You ask people for opinions , then you post this No

Remember , its you who opened the thread and asked Laughing Laughing

Well lads. Its December. Round 1 of the O'Byrne cup is merely weeks away. 6th January to be exact.

What are people expectations for the year. Below are the 11 fixtures we have at the moment for certain. Everything else is dependent on how we do. So how will we do. How do we see it panning out. What would people like to see in terms of personnel changes, positional changes?

So you give a opinion , and you get the hump , So if we dont play along with you its

Expectations for 2013  Images31

YOUR A clown

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expectations for 2013    Expectations for 2013  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Expectations for 2013
Page 1 of 1