Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup 2013

Go down 
+61
MD
the young lad
johnsmyth
BelieveToAchieve
walsheman
Botch
KFSAM
steviegenius
naked-lilly
Tadhgín
kartman
Flyer
Fear An Geata
Pat Browne the cat
inexile
Admin
cat in the sack
Flamingo
carburyman
kelf
tpos
SeamusMurphy
lomond
lastline
lillyboy
Rex
Kildare98
ChopperDalton
Robo1357
Frankel
Ger McNally
KILL BILL
flourman
midfieldmaestro
Ohtoohtobe
Taibi
Loads of Pints
TommyKeegan
thehouse
Bigfullforward
tomcruise
murof
bk 1
lilywhites on tour
Jimmy winning matches
Morrissey
bag of white
kickingking
lilly-exile
tomoneillandhissisteranne
White Bridge
Bad News Baba
kildaregaa365
Big Full Back
bob12
shoutitout
topcat
Ogie
Come on the Boys in Blue
overthebar
Admin3
65 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin3
Admin
Admin

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 am

New season, new thread.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Good man Admin, get the ball rolling......can't wait for the first game on Sun 6th Jan home Carlow IT, Wed 9th Jan home to DIT, Sun 13th home to Wexford.......presume wed game will be in Hawkfield. Hope new mentors bring a bit of freshness and new ideas to the team for the upcoming year...

Last edited by overthebar on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 am

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

sniper wrote:
Dublin play away to Carlow on the 6th of Jan 2013,

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-accident-tournaments-2012/obyrne-cup-sf-2012.325.html

Maybe they'll get it switched to Croker!
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 am

I hope for the games in the O'Byrne Cup especially given that there are 3 that we are not looking at any more than 6/7 of the lads who were used against Cork. Last year we wasted the O'Byrne Cup by not looking for or finding new players, I hope that is not the case this year.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Ogie wrote:
sniper wrote:
Dublin play away to Carlow on the 6th of Jan 2013,

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-accident-tournaments-2012/obyrne-cup-sf-2012.325.html

Maybe they'll get it switched to Croker!

I think Carlow are fairly confident of staging this game comfortable with a functional venue in Dr Cullen park.

It's a pity though there local institute of technology won't be afforded the same courtesy and comforts on the same day instead they will be brought to a centre of excellence scratch

Still it could be worse Carlow IT are lucky !! It could very well ended up in navan or portlaoise But someone in know must have pulled a stroke somewhere Wink Enjoy the game Sunday. And happy new year Ogie
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Many happy returns Sniper... None of the third level institutes are allowed home games given that they are being allowed into the inter-county competitions as preparations for the Sigerson.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Yes I also would like to see a few new faces get a run out in the O'Byrne cup but on the other side of things we will also need to know close to our starting 15 for the league if we have any chance of staying in Div. 1. Going to be very hard to get that balance right. As the first two games are against college teams maybe we will see some of the new lads get a run with a more familiar team to play Wexford.

On a side note a hope the Wednesday night game is not in Hawkfield. There are a few clubs about that have lights and a bigger stand and they should be used instead. Standing around a pitch to watch an O'Byrne cup match is very poor. Reminds me of 2003 when we played Dublin in Pormarnock with no stand at all.

Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am

shoutitout wrote:
Yes I also would like to see a few new faces get a run out in the O'Byrne cup but on the other side of things we will also need to know close to our starting 15 for the league if we have any chance of staying in Div. 1. Going to be very hard to get that balance right. As the first two games are against college teams maybe we will see some of the new lads get a run with a more familiar team to play Wexford.

On a side note a hope the Wednesday night game is not in Hawkfield. There are a few clubs about that have lights and a bigger stand and they should be used instead. Standing around a pitch to watch an O'Byrne cup match is very poor. Reminds me of 2003 when we played Dublin in Pormarnock with no stand at all.

Memories

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/GAA%3A+FENN+FORM+WHITE+HOT%3B+DUBLIN+V+KILDARE+O'Byrne+Cup.-a096601306
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:49 am

Naas would be a good central location no stand but a nice bar overlooking the pitch Clane has a nice stand as well dot know about floodlights and there is also Athy
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 am

@KfmSport: For all those asking Kildare will play D.I.T. in Geraldine Park, Athy on Wednesday January 9 at 7:30. John Hickey (Carlow) will referee.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Indo this morning confirming MacLochlainn, Fitzpatrick, Scanlon, T O'Neill, Dunne and Ennis all gone from the panel. Moolick to concentrate on u-21s. Paul Cribben linked up with the seniors.
All decisions I would agree with. I'd question the (apparent) retention of Sweeney and Flanagan but that's nit-picking. As I said on the Jimmers thread, I'm looking forward to seeing Cribben back in the white shirt. Looked a right prospect in the minors. High hopes for this lad and would like to see his gradual introduction through the O'B Cup and League. Other hopes for the coming weeks:

- return to fitness of Leper - we missed him more than many outside Kildare realised last year
- discovery of a centre-back option. I suggested P O'Neill before - think this a better option than the Mikey Conway one that was apparently used in challenge v Wickla
- Podge Fogarty as a Plan A at Full Forward - Tomas as Plan B
- settled forward line and pattern of play
- settled midfield partnership for league - Flynn and Lynch for me
- Foley at full back

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh, and JD back closer to goal needless to say - although I'd have him as an impact sub through the spring.

Forward line by summer ?

Leper Doyle* Cribben
Smith Fogarty Johnston

* or Conway
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 am

I don't want to see John Doyle chasing players the length of the pitch, he should be saving his energy for doing what he does best, scoring. Other lads around him need to pick up the slack and match his work rate. If the other 14 players worked as hard as Doyle we would go a long way.

Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 am

Has anyone got any idea of the team for tomorrow............am I the only one who finds it frustrating that nearly every other county have their teams named for tomorrow but nothing from Kildare??!!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 am

No you are not the only one frustrated by that. But then our county board seem to be the ones who lag behind in most things when it comes to basic organisational and marketing skills.

Just a couple of "for instances" - our CB website has a link to the county panel - which brings you into photos of the 2010 panel. Our county results rarely nowadays make it into the papers on a Monday morning. Of course we all know the story with our county ground.
Counties such as Laois, Kerry and Cork even have Apps nowadays which give you their fixtures, news, panel profiles etc.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am

I'd love to see Chalky playing orthodox centre-back - I presume Mikey wasn't 'holding the centre' as it were.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 am

I don't know why anyone wants Chalky at centre back, he has been taken off before half time the last couple of time he has played there for Kildare, his best position is definitely midfield and if he is going to be tried that is where it should be. In an ideal world it would be himself and Flynn midfield in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 am

Well...what did people make of that outing? Not a lot perhaps - Wednesday night should be a better test.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:08 am

hard to jusge. opposition were poor enough. positives were the newcomers looked decent. kicked 7 points before 1st wide and mick foley back at fullback. does anyone else think that ollie lyons pace could be better utilised from half back line?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 am

Hard to read anything into these matches. An inter county team worth their salt should simply outmuscle most of the third level colleges. The difference in conditioning was obvious from early on.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 am

the carlow it number 8 was throwing his conditioning around a bit in the first half...
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 am

Not a great game of football, Carlow IT weren't up to much and they spent a lot of the game without anybody inside the Kildare 45.

I thought Conway did ok at centre back but we had the usual problems up front. Cathal McNally did well, he kicked 2 points but he played a lot of the game playing wing back while Flanno was in the forwards. I can't understand the thinking behind that.

I was surprised to see Paddy Brophy come on so early in the 2nd half I thought he'd be training with the U21s.

It was a bit of a joke that they ran out of programs well before the start of the game and they then didn't even announce the substitutions. They also need to dig out the manual for the scoreboard.

Still it's the first game of the year hopefully there'll be a steady improvement from everyone.
Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:18 am

As has been already said Carlow were not up to much and were completely outclassed all over the field.

DIT on Wednesday should provide a far bigger test. People critical earlier of lads not being added to the panel.

Today I seen Willie Groome, Cathal McNally, James Eaton, Paddy Brophy all getting game time along with Podge Fogarty who is only 21. Also I seen Sean Hurley on the bench which would indicate he is back on the panel. That along with Paul Cribben and Dan Flynn how many new faces would people be happy with being added to the panel.

You have to strike the correct balance.

Daryll Flynn, Hugh Lynch, Leper, JD, Seanie Johnston, Dermot Earley, Fionn Dowling, Eoghan Flaherty all to come back and get a run.

Last edited by Johnny Maher on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 am

Couldn't read much into that. I was disappointed to see Sweeney and Flanno in the 15 - nothing new to learn about them - and a full forward line of Kelly-Tomas-Roly does not inspire. There was no imagination to the forward play in the first half with the ball into Tomas seemingly the only option considered We improved a bit in the second half when O'Connor came off and we had to therefore vary our attacks. Thought McNally looked decent and took two good scores while Willie Groome had some good moments at midfield and Paddy Brophy did some good things on his introduction. Chalky was in fine form at midfield and having Foley back at FB was another positive.
Struggling to understand the logic of Conway at CB - one of our problems last year was opponents running at pace through the middle. Mikey is not the man to shore up that space. We also didn't create many goal chances against very limited opposition (apart from the goal Peter Kelly's effort of the cross bar is the only other one I can think of). But it's January 6th so today was about blowing away the cobwebs and giving some youngsters a run - would have liked to see more experimentation with the forward options.

p.s. - we looked amateurish with the scoreboard problem and James Eaton coming on with his number hanging by a thread. And not an announcement to be heard when we made subs. Half the crowd around me thought no 26 was Dowling rather than Brophy - a reasonable assumption to make given that's what the programme said.

DIT will be a tougher test on Wed night in Athy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

O'Byrne Cup 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013   O'Byrne Cup 2013 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2013
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next